Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth on Phone deletes/loses my Tesla under "Saved Devices" when turned off.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New M3 owner here. Just accepted delivery about 2 weeks ago and LOVING it. Anyway, I have a new Pixel 7 and I noticed that sometimes when I get in the car, the phone doesn't connect. I would have to "forget device" in the car and re-pair the phone.

I just realized that if I TURN MY BLUETOOTH OFF, my phone forgets the car under "saved devices" so that's why it won't connect. So if you're not familiar with Android, there is a list of devices you've connected to in the past, so they can connect in the future. I have several other devices, headphones, smart watch, etc.. but this ONLY happens with the M3.

IF I LEAVE MY BLUETOOTH ON, it never disappears and it reconnects automatically like it should but soon as i turn it off and back on, it's gone.

Anyone else experiences this? Initially thought it was an Android bug but I don't have issues with any other devices.

New M3 owner here. Just accepted delivery about 2 weeks ago and LOVING it. Anyway, I have a new Pixel 7 and I noticed that sometimes when I get in the car, the phone doesn't connect. I would have to "forget device" in the car and re-pair the phone.

I just realized that if I TURN MY BLUETOOTH OFF, my phone forgets the car under "saved devices" so that's why it won't connect. So if you're not familiar with Android, there is a list of devices you've connected to in the past, so they can connect in the future. I have several other devices, headphones, smart watch, etc.. but this ONLY happens with the M3.

IF I LEAVE MY BLUETOOTH ON, it never disappears and it reconnects automatically like it should but soon as i turn it off and back on, it's gone.

Anyone else experiences this? Initially thought it was an Android bug but I don't have issues with any other devices.
Hmm... I'm not a Pixel 7 user. but I have a Pixel 5 running the current version of Android 13 and I frequently disable and enable bluetooth. I haven't experienced it forgetting my 3. I wonder if it's something specific to the Pixel 7?

Upvote 0

Is your issue totally sorted out?

I have a MY and I am having this problem with my pixel 7 (other phones are ok).

For me it doesn't matter if I leave the Bluetooth on or off, the pixel 7 forgets the pairing all the time. It's getting really annoying to have to repair for every drive.

I've gone through all the settings (on both the phone and car) and am having no luck.

The app works fine on the phone (entry/lock/climate/etc), it's just the pairing of the phone for calls.

Reactions: Donncha
Upvote 0
I may have figured it out for anyone who is having this problem. There is a reset option located under Settings->System->Reset Options->Reset Wi-fi, mobile & Bluetooth (this on my Google Pixel 7).

Once I did that the car has remained in my bluetooth connected devices. I had to re-pair all my devices/wifi but it has been holding steady for 5 days now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Upvote 0
Another vote for this being a Pixel 7 issue - seems to forget Bluetooth saved devices after Bluetooth is turned off/reboot, notably a Tesla. Haven't had the phone long enough to say if it has this trouble with other devices, although it seems to be able to keep earbuds paired. No problems with phone key, and didn't have this problem with a Pixel 4a.

Upvote 0
Another vote for this being a Pixel 7 issue - seems to forget Bluetooth saved devices after Bluetooth is turned off/reboot, notably a Tesla. Haven't had the phone long enough to say if it has this trouble with other devices, although it seems to be able to keep earbuds paired. No problems with phone key, and didn't have this problem with a Pixel 4a.
Have you been able to try the steps in post #7? I was having similar issues with my pixel 7. Since I did that not a single issue. I have not had an issue in several months now.

Upvote 0
I joined specifically to say I have this same issue. Super annoying. I'm on the latest Feb 2023 patch and have a 2023 MY LR. Rebooting phone or toggling bluetooth and the Tesla just "disappears" from my phone. Would love to hear if anyone has luck fixing this. P.S. I have tried the steps in Post #7 several times...

Upvote 0
I may have figured it out for anyone who is having this problem. There is a reset option located under Settings->System->Reset Options->Reset Wi-fi, mobile & Bluetooth (this on my Google Pixel 7).

Once I did that the car has remained in my bluetooth connected devices. I had to re-pair all my devices/wifi but it has been holding steady for 5 days now.
Have you rebooted or toggled Bluetooth in those 5 days? It doesn't "forget" the Tesla until I do one of those things on my phone.

Upvote 0
Experiencing the EXACT same issue that OP is experiencing and I'm using a Pixel 6 Pro (on latest software update) with my Tesla MYLR. I can't for the life of me get my Pixel 6 Pro to auto-connect to my Tesla and it's very annoying since I have to spend 2 mins in the car doing the workaround OP suggested.

Will try some of the suggestions mentioned on this thread but has anyone successfully fixed this issue?

Upvote 0
I worked with Google support yesterday and reluctantly did a full factory reset on my pixel 7 to troubleshoot. This did NOT fix the issue either so hopefully I can save someone from eating a couple hours restoring there phone. This is a software issue on the pixel side...

• Helpful
Reactions: rr_92
Upvote 0
Do other folks with this problem have more than one remembered bluetooth device on their phones? I do. Earlier, I reset BT on my Pixel 7 in order to be able to pair it with my camera (the phone refused to pair without a reset), then paired the car after that, so the car is my second BT device. The phone never forgets the camera (first device).

I'm going to try resetting it again and adding only the car to try to determine if the behavior is different for the first device compared to later devices.

Upvote 0
I worked with Google support yesterday and reluctantly did a full factory reset on my pixel 7 to troubleshoot. This did NOT fix the issue either so hopefully I can save someone from eating a couple hours restoring there phone. This is a software issue on the pixel side...
Thanks for letting us know! Today I will try out some stuff mentioned here + also some potential changes in "Developer Options" and then report back here.

Do other folks with this problem have more than one remembered bluetooth device on their phones? I do. Earlier, I reset BT on my Pixel 7 in order to be able to pair it with my camera (the phone refused to pair without a reset), then paired the car after that, so the car is my second BT device. The phone never forgets the camera (first device).

I'm going to try resetting it again and adding only the car to try to determine if the behavior is different for the first device compared to later devices.
Yes as I use bluetooth earphones/headphones with my phone so they are stored under BT's saved devices on my phone. I just did the "Reset Wi-fi, mobile & Bluetooth" option yesterday night on my phone and am planning on trying it out on my Tesla later today (will report back on here for results).

Let me know how your testing turns out!

Upvote 0
Do other folks with this problem have more than one remembered bluetooth device on their phones? I do. .....
I have three devices remembered in my BT settings which are all working now. Car/headphones/watch (not necessarily in that order). Before I solved my problem (see post 7) I tried just having the car which did not seem to help.

In addition to post 7 I had also messed around in several of the (seemingly endless) sub-menus on my phone to keep the BT from going into low-power mode. Not sure if that worked in combination with my other suggestion.

Good luck!

Reactions: rr_92
Upvote 0

I have three devices remembered in my BT settings which are all working now. Car/headphones/watch (not necessarily in that order). Before I solved my problem (see post 7) I tried just having the car which did not seem to help.

In addition to post 7 I had also messed around in several of the (seemingly endless) sub-menus on my phone to keep the BT from going into low-power mode. Not sure if that worked in combination with my other suggestion.

Good luck!
Just tried the suggestion on post #7 and it unfortunately did not work. If I turn OFF Bluetooth or reboot my phone, the "Tesla Model Y" that shows up in BT's "Saved Devices" disappears so I have to do the whole pairing process again (this was also having Tesla as the only BT device saved my Pixel). I also tried a few things in "Developer Options" but that did not work either.

The "workaround" which seems to work is leaving Bluetooth ON and disconnecting your device (either through phone or Tesla) or even just not doing anything and letting it auto-disconnect. This will let the "Tesla" remain in BT's "Saved Devices" on your phone.

@Stirfry - Do you remember the submenus/settings you might have messed around with?

Upvote 0