Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth / Outgoing Call Quality / Microphone has terrible quality, people can't hear me, sound like a robot.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MYP two days ago and have called a few people using bluetooth and the call quality is atrocious from my end. I can hear them just fine, but everyone I talk to says I sound like a robot. I recorded myself on a voicemail to listen to and it sounds like a robot underwater. I've seen a few other threads about outgoing call quality from years ago, but wondering if anyone else has this issue or has found a fix for it.

I tried deleting and adding my phone and I tried using an iphone 12 and a samsung galaxy s20 and both repeat the horrible outgoing sound quality.

This happens whether I'm driving or sitting still with the windows up.

Any help here would be great.

Thank you.

I have had that issue in my previous vehicle (not a Tesla, an older domestic sedan) but have to say the call quality in our Model Y has been stellar. In fact, I fairly regularly get calls from my partner when she's out and she comes through loud and clear. The first 4-5 months of MY ownership she was using an old Samsung Galaxy S8, but the past couple of months has been with an S21 (non-plus, non-ultra). I can't think of a single call where I could not hear her well.

EDIT: we have also made calls together from the Tesla calling to restaurants to adjust reservation times and so on, and the car picks up both of our voices (from driver and front passenger seats) clearly and without feeling like we need to raise our voices.

Further thought: I wonder if seating position could play a factor? Maybe try playing with your seating position a bit and leave yourself some test voicemails to see if that changes anything?

In my Bluetooth case I hear them fine but they say I'm very faint, like talking from the other end of a long tunnel. Maybe I should have Tesla look at it.
Does it happen all the time or only sometimes? For me this only happened a handful of times, but usually in the same place. So I had my wife hangup, and call me back. But I had this issue even before we got the Tesla.. Sometimes I think her phone just hangs onto a crappy tower in certain locations...

Just created a thread in the UK forums for this and it suggested this thread as similar, yes i'm having the exact same issue from my 2021 model 3 which was delivered on Monday. I wrote:

Hello All,

I've had a bit of a search but the threads are quite old (2018), but in case I've missed a thread dealing with this already apologies! My model 3 arrived Monday this week, and on Tuesday morning I was offered 2021.40.6 and downloaded it before setting off on an 80mile trip to the office.

On that trip I made a call to my father from my iPhone 11 pro and he sounded good, and apparently I was clear too. Signal was 2-4 bars for the call and I was doing a little over 70mph on the motorway.

On Wednesday on my return journey I made a couple of calls, again my father and also a friend and both of them said I sounded awful, like I was speaking through tracing paper (they were both really clear to me). I've had a call today where they've said I sounded really muffled as well. I was doing a similar speed on the motorway as the call that was fine, and also had similar signal level.

My question is, is anyone else having this issue on Q4 2021 M3 cars? I can't even say it was the new update that caused it because all calls have been made on 40.6. Is there something I'm missing, some setting I've not changed on my iPhone? It's set to treat the Tesla as a Car Stereo in the Bluetooth settings on the phone.

Any thoughts or help appreciated!

Just created a thread in the UK forums for this and it suggested this thread as similar, yes i'm having the exact same issue from my 2021 model 3 which was delivered on Monday. I wrote:

Hello All,

I've had a bit of a search but the threads are quite old (2018), but in case I've missed a thread dealing with this already apologies! My model 3 arrived Monday this week, and on Tuesday morning I was offered 2021.40.6 and downloaded it before setting off on an 80mile trip to the office.

On that trip I made a call to my father from my iPhone 11 pro and he sounded good, and apparently I was clear too. Signal was 2-4 bars for the call and I was doing a little over 70mph on the motorway.

On Wednesday on my return journey I made a couple of calls, again my father and also a friend and both of them said I sounded awful, like I was speaking through tracing paper (they were both really clear to me). I've had a call today where they've said I sounded really muffled as well. I was doing a similar speed on the motorway as the call that was fine, and also had similar signal level.

My question is, is anyone else having this issue on Q4 2021 M3 cars? I can't even say it was the new update that caused it because all calls have been made on 40.6. Is there something I'm missing, some setting I've not changed on my iPhone? It's set to treat the Tesla as a Car Stereo in the Bluetooth settings on the phone.

Any thoughts or help appreciated!
Do you have a watch connected to your phone via Bluetooth? Like Apple or Samsung watch.

I picked up my MYP two days ago and have called a few people using bluetooth and the call quality is atrocious from my end. I can hear them just fine, but everyone I talk to says I sound like a robot. I recorded myself on a voicemail to listen to and it sounds like a robot underwater. I've seen a few other threads about outgoing call quality from years ago, but wondering if anyone else has this issue or has found a fix for it.

I tried deleting and adding my phone and I tried using an iphone 12 and a samsung galaxy s20 and both repeat the horrible outgoing sound quality.

This happens whether I'm driving or sitting still with the windows up.

Any help here would be great.

Thank you.
I'm having the same issue with my M3P, I'm using a Samsung phone. I saw somebody say on some forums that the issue was a Apple watch or Samsung watch or something connected to your phone via Bluetooth. Apparently if you put your watch on airplane mode it works just fine. I'm gonna give it a try later today and I'll let you know how it goes.

I think it's just related to which tower your phone connects to. I use bluetooth music all the time, and typically don't have call quality issues. When I do, it usually is always in the same location.. And simply disconnecting the call and calling back resolves the issue.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Same problem here, 2020 Model 3. The Other end of the phone call cannot hear me at all when I make or receive calls, different people/phone types. yet the cars Voice commands work for other things. This has been a sporadic issue for the past couple weeks. Prior to this particular issue, I was told I sounded like a robot on a handful of occasions by different callers. I chalked it up to the cell service at the time but now I’m not too sure.

Does this happen often with sw updates? Is there known faulty hardware?