Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth pairing to iPhone unreliable since getting Apple Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TesYboy

Dec 30, 2021
Usa
I have a Tesla Y, iPhone 13 max pro, and an Apple Watch 6. My iPhone works flawlessly as a phone key, but pairing for audio and calls has become a constant headache since I started using an Apple Watch. The phone will no longer automatically pair to the car. I have to manually choose it to connect every time I get in the car. This is almost always the case when I am using my Apple Watch, but was never a problem before I got the Watch, and it works again if I am not using my watch. I know this sounds like an Apple Watch, but I don’t see anything on Apple forums, and also my phone pairs just fine with a Chevy and a Honda I have tested it on, so it seems like a Tesla specific issue. It’s very annoying. Has anyone else had this problem? I’ve tried forgetting the Bluetooth connection on both ends (car, iPhone, and Watch), updating Tesla and Apple software, restarted the car. Nothing helps. Any ideas?

I've never had this happen. I have had an Apple Watch the entire 1-1/2 years I've owned my Model Y and not once has this happened. Occasionally my iPhone won't connect to play music when I enter my car but that's maybe once every couple of months. Hasn't happened in a really long time.

Perhaps the Apple Watch BT is preventing the iPhone from connecting to the Tesla Model Y. Try switching off BT on the Apple Watch before approaching, entering the Tesla Model Y.

You can specify which BT phone device (if there are multiple phones) should be used with your Tesla profile. When there are several phones you can set which phone is the priority BT device for phone calls and music streaming.

Perhaps the Apple Watch BT is preventing the iPhone from connecting to the Tesla Model Y. Try switching off BT on the Apple Watch before approaching, entering the Tesla Model Y.
This is the equivalent of disconnecting watch from phone, correct? Perhaps I need to do this & try deleting / re-connecting iphone. I'll try, but the card swipe not being successful has been my biggest hangup.

I have been having trouble with my iPhone as a key. I have an iPhone 13 on iOS 15.2 I used my iPhones for a year and a half without any problems and the iPhone 13 worked for a few months then suddenly it became very unstable as a phone key. Works about 10% of the time. Used to work flawlessly. Anyone else having a problem with iPhone 13 and iOS 15 in the phone key.

I have been having trouble with my iPhone as a key. I have an iPhone 13 on iOS 15.2 I used my iPhones for a year and a half without any problems and the iPhone 13 worked for a few months then suddenly it became very unstable as a phone key. Works about 10% of the time. Used to work flawlessly. Anyone else having a problem with iPhone 13 and iOS 15 in the phone key.
Yep ! Iphone 12 - perfect since June, updated the IOS - now only works manually (lock/unlock, remote start). Cards do not work, either so cannot pair & unpair.

I have (almost) the same issue. Got an Apple Watch this weekend and since then I can't get bluetooth (phone/contacts/music/etc.) to work with my Model 3. The strange thing is, the key works just fine. I really hope someone has a solution for this because it's very annoying...

I have (almost) the same issue. Got an Apple Watch this weekend and since then I can't get bluetooth (phone/contacts/music/etc.) to work with my Model 3. The strange thing is, the key works just fine. I really hope someone has a solution for this because it's very annoying...
The Tesla phone key function uses separate BT connections for the phone key and for the Tesla app for controlling the vehicle functions. Try removing the BT connection from the phone and then pair the phone with the Tesla vehicle. (Be sure you remove just the Tesla app BT connection not the BT connection for the Tesla phone key.)