Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth phone as key is coming to Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just carry the key without battery, and follow the "dead battery" procedure when you need to use the key as backup. Then it'll be equivalent to the Model 3's key card, although more bulky.
Every time (once, lol) I've replaced the batteries so far, it's gone into the 'I'm sorry, Dave, I don't recognize those fobs' state. Which is why the official stance is to have the SC replace the batteries. Yes, I know the batteries don't last a year (sometimes). So, doing this for a backup may not be the best failsafe course of action, just sayin'. :D

Now, of course, yes, the fobs can be used in the same mode as the 3, where (without the battery) you put them at the bottom of the door for the X, and near the wipers for the S (if I'm remembering correctly) and then at the base of the temperature sensor at the console to drive. I guess that's sorta like the card.....

Every time (once, lol) I've replaced the batteries so far, it's gone into the 'I'm sorry, Dave, I don't recognize those fobs' state. Which is why the official stance is to have the SC replace the batteries. Yes, I know the batteries don't last a year (sometimes). So, doing this for a backup may not be the best failsafe course of action, just sayin'. :D

Now, of course, yes, the fobs can be used in the same mode as the 3, where (without the battery) you put them at the bottom of the door for the X, and near the wipers for the S (if I'm remembering correctly) and then at the base of the temperature sensor at the console to drive. I guess that's sorta like the card.....

Huh. I've never had this happen.

I think just the idea of it is great, and I now know what I’m going to tell the wild eyed valet the next time he wants to park my car and I don’t want him to drive it because I’d like to get it back in one piece.

“Sorry Mr Valet, let me park it out front myself. I can’t give you the key because it’s my phone.”

My only concern (other than maybe not getting it on my MCU1 lol) is that the backup key for Model 3 is the passive wallet card, where we would only have our original active keys as backup. So I might not want to carry the backup, and then....

Meanwhile all I want is soooo easy to add, no new hardware required just a check and alert when shifting to D: "Your Driver Profile's usual Bluetooth device isn't connected, forget something back there buddy ?"

(or am I the only one who has forgotten their phone lol)

If the Bluetooth connection failed you could still just use the App as you can now as a backup. I don’t feel I would carry FOB as back up. Seems unlikely that both app via cell phone connection and Bluetooth method would likely both fail.

Huh. I've never had this happen.
Yeah, I updated the old thread that was out there, and the SC says that was the original idea behind them doing the replacement. AND they said they've been seeing more of them recently. So, whether newer hardware has the issue (or X's do it more) or whether newer firmware has an impact, who knows.

I also didn't do it 'in the car', which may have been a factor? Support looked at it and said, yep, 'the immobizer' needs to be reset. Tell the SC that. Not sure if that's a code word for something or WTF.

I think you should just chip yourself with an RFID key, then replace locks and car starters in your life with an RFID reader. You'll never lose it. How much would you pay for it?
This Wisconsin company is the first U.S. business to implant chips in it's employees

RFID is Radio Frequency so it would be super easy to Steal Your Car.
Same Reason why you have a Chip on your Credit and/or Debit Card, eventually that easy to Scan and Steal Magnetic Strip will go away. We're just behind the times from other counties.
The chip needs physical connection to the connection points to power the chipset.

So unless the phone works 100% of the time, which it seems to not do for many, why would I not bring the fob?
Phone as fob does work for a lot of people though. I would at least like the opportunity to see if it works well for me. If it doesn't I will just keep carrying my fob. I would prefer not to have this fob lump in my pocket all day if my phone as fob does work.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Definitely a yes to me. A fitbit like device is like a watch that I'll never lose and it will work everytime like a key fob. A fitbit like device means that I can take it to everywhere to some situations that I don't want to have anything in my pocket. A phone key should be a backup especially after reading many threads about it in model 3 section.

I see your point, I think it would be great if the only requirement to pair it is that the device has Bluetooth, then people could pick the device that they like the most (iWatch, FitBit, phone, etc.)

I haven’t heard people complaining too much about it in the Model 3 but honestly I wouldn’t be surprise knowing how unreliable Bluetooth is in the iPhone

Great. Now think about the anxiety you'll feel when your phone battery is close to dead and instead of missing a few texts/calls, your stranded. I don't mind the key fob so I doubt I'll use this feature but is sure is cool to get stuff like this over the air years after buying a car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex
It just feels less secure. Unlike the key, which stays in your pocket, a phone is alway visible and gets misplaced, at least in my own case. Now a thieve can simply grab my phone and drive the car away. I would not mind if I am required to scan my figure or face before the car unlocks. It is one more step, but with the additional security that a regular key could not provide.

I'll pass on the full-body scan :rolleyes: - Tesla could easily require a pass-code after passive entry with the phone, just like with Valet Mode.

I've submitted a 'concern for executive review' to Tesla and I hope they pay attention. I was able to unlock features on someone else's vehicle fairly easily.

As of right now, Owners are unaware of how many "other" devices the mobile app (with access to their vehicles) is active on.

Tesla needs to include a security feature for Owners, similar to that implemented by Facebook. Included with my submission was a request to add "Admin" privileges for Owners, to allow "Guest" accounts with "parental controls", similar to Valet Mode but with more features Owners can control.

Last edited:
Great. Now think about the anxiety you'll feel when your phone battery is close to dead and instead of missing a few texts/calls, your stranded. I don't mind the key fob so I doubt I'll use this feature but is sure is cool to get stuff like this over the air years after buying a car.

Basically everywhere on Earth nowadays has a Micro USB or Lightning charger you can use for five minutes to power on your phone long enough to get into and start the car. And, as much as I think they're a giant waste, there are "disposable" battery packs you can pick up for $5-$10 that have a 5+ year shelf life. Mount one on your car somewhere like a hide-a-key and you've got battery insurance.

Reactions: mach.89
If the Bluetooth connection failed you could still just use the App as you can now as a backup. I don’t feel I would carry FOB as back up. Seems unlikely that both app via cell phone connection and Bluetooth method would likely both fail.

If I'm driving, I have my license. If I have my license I have my wallet. If I have my wallet I have a slot for the card.

Idea: drivers licenses should have a unique RFID so you can link that to your car and not have to carry the key card.

(As a Permanent Resident I'm also legally required to carry my card with me. So, I'd have to carry 2 cards.)

PS See signature. I can't help but think that upper-casing tendency stems from another OB.

That is a gross oversimplification. It's like saying the key-fob is just radio frequency. I have a feeling you don't really know how RFID works.

I actually do that's why i say its unsafe. It's an unpowered chip that needs RF close or relatively close depending on the type. Key Fob has a Battery, a Chip inside your skin will not. Bluetooth has Power at your Phone or Fob and when it starts a conversation with the Car it can Encypt/Decrypt Tx&Rx

RFID tags are considered “dumb” devices, in that they can only listen and respond, no
matter who sends the request signal. This brings up risks of unauthorised access and
modification of tag data. In other words, unprotected tags may be vulnerable to
eavesdropping, traffic analysis, spoofing or denial of service attacks.
Eavesdropping (or Skimming)
Radio signals transmitted from the tag, and the reader, can be detected several metres
away by other radio receivers. It is possible therefore for an unauthorised user to gain
access to the data contained in RFID tags if legitimate transmissions are not properly
protected. Any person who has their own RFID reader may interrogate tags lacking
adequate access controls, and eavesdrop on tag contents.

Unless they are doing something new compared to the RFID that we use in Automation Systems.
But thanks for the insult.

Last edited:
I actually do that's why i say its unsafe. It's an unpowered chip that needs RF close or relatively close depending on the type. Key Fob has a Battery, a Chip inside your skin will not. Bluetooth has Power at your Phone or Fob and when it starts a conversation with the Car it can Encypt/Decrypt Tx&Rx
Unless they are doing something new compared to the RFID that we use in Automation Systems.
But thanks for the insult.
No insult intended. RFID is actually a powered chip transmitting data, just using wireless power rather than battery. It can encrypt or not (as can BT or wifi). As for distance, that also varies. Some require few cm, but others can be read meters away.