Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth phone as key is coming to Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At leas that is what Elon said on Twitter:

“All X & S will soon work with no key if your phone pairs w Bluetooth, signal strength is high & you enable feature”

Tweet

I was reading on Reddit and seems like the actual key fob (since sept 2016) also uses Bluetooth Tesla starts shipping new key fob with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) so I assume both the S and the X have the appropriate antennas to power using the phone as the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh... either one is tied to the car... what is meant here by 'authentication', if you mean you want additional one-time auth, that's another mess. Right now, when you set up the phone for the 3, you need the Tesla servers to auth your account. That's why anyone that logged out when the servers were down was screwed. The phones still worked to unlock cars, but you better not log out of the app 'because perhaps that will fix it'.

• Informative
Reactions: THXULTRA
I don’t think the Model 3 works that way but maybe a Model 3 owner can confirm.

Your key fob today doesn’t requiere- or permit - authentication, I don’t think phone will be different.

It just feels less secure. Unlike the key, which stays in your pocket, a phone is alway visible and gets misplaced, at least in my own case. Now a thieve can simply grab my phone and drive the car away. I would not mind if I am required to scan my figure or face before the car unlocks. It is one more step, but with the additional security that a regular key could not provide.

It just feels less secure. Unlike the key, which stays in your pocket, a phone is alway visible and gets misplaced, at least in my own case. Now a thieve can simply grab my phone and drive the car away. I would not mind if I am required to scan my figure or face before the car unlocks. It is one more step, but with the additional security that a regular key could not provide.

Sorry, maybe it seemed like I disagree with you, I don't. My point was that I don't think the Model 3 "phone as key" feature requires you to unlock your phone, If the current implementation doesn't I doubt that the future Model S / Model X feature would, that is all.

Sorry, maybe it seemed like I disagree with you, I don't. My point was that I don't think the Model 3 "phone as key" feature requires you to unlock your phone, If the current implementation doesn't I doubt that the future Model S / Model X feature would, that is all.

I’m sure they could add the option to require authentication for those who want it.

I would feel the same way, except the model x key is stupidly large so I leave it right next to my damn phone on the table rather than in my pocket anyway. I also look forward to not changing the key battery constantly and no more "key no longer inside vehicle" messages. I'm sure there will be a new message for the phone though.

Last edited:
That's a point... the Tesla app runs in the background. But I've not used it with a 3. So now, you don't need anything but 'the phone'? You don't need to do anything but walk up? It would be nice to have the option for TouchID, etc.

Reactions: Helmuth

I mean the same can be said with keys. Im sure the feature will be optional for those who want or don't want it.

That's a point... the Tesla app runs in the background. But I've not used it with a 3. So now, you don't need anything but 'the phone'? You don't need to do anything but walk up? It would be nice to have the option for TouchID, etc.

having to pull your phone out to unlock the car would add an extra, unnecessary cumbersome step. There would be no convenience to using your phone over a fob then.

I have been able to use my phone as a key since I got the car. I go out to the garage to drive to the corner market to grab a gallon of milk or whatever, realize I forgot my key, so I just use my phone and off we go. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
I have been able to use my phone as a key since I got the car. I go out to the garage to drive to the corner market to grab a gallon of milk or whatever, realize I forgot my key, so I just use my phone and off we go. Am I missing something here?
You don’t have to physically go into the Tesla app with the new method and click unlock or start. Just walk up with the phone and go.

having to pull your phone out to unlock the car would add an extra, unnecessary cumbersome step. There would be no convenience to using your phone over a fob then.
Yeah, that's true. If the phone is locked, no one would know where the car is, same as a fob. And, I'm sure it will be optional. If they can make this as reliable as the fob, I'd go for it. But so far, BT on the 3 has been a bit of a mess, unfortunately. Now, how much of that has been to Android vs. iOS vs who knows what, I don't really know. The 'feeling' is that it's a mess. :D

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
"With a new model coming this year, we know our customers will have questions about which car is right for them. One question we’ve been asked is, “Should I trade in my Model S for a Model 3?” While Model 3 will be our newest car, it isn’t “Version 3” or the next generation Tesla. Our higher priced premium models still include the most advanced technology and the best driving experience we have to offer."
Model S or Model 3

It looks like the S/X are continuing to play catch-up with the 3... (vanity lights, MCU2, bluetooth phone as key)