Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth phone as key is coming to Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said "soon". Historically "Elon soon" means 6 months to never. It's only been 3 months, so no surprise nothing is here yet. I'm still waiting for the SDK he said was coming soon back in 2013. Plenty of people are waiting for FSD, which was supposed to come "sooner than anyone thinks". There are plenty of Elon's "tweetures" in the pipe(dream)line, for example today marks a year since he tweeted this.

Last edited:
... There are plenty of Elon's "tweetures" in the pipe(dream)line, for example today marks a year since he tweeted this.
Ahh!! I forgot about that one! I was waiting in desperation for this feature; due to all of the loaners I've driven. That said, I couldn't wrap my head around how they would implement this; due to how the hardware is implemented. The position seems to be stored as a relative value within each device.

For example... Have a mirror replaced, or a seat, or a steering column, etc. After installation of the new component, you have to adjust and store your positions again. The new device will move when you change your profile, but to some seemingly random relative spot; not your previously stored positions.

Ahh!! I forgot about that one! I was waiting in desperation for this feature; due to all of the loaners I've driven. That said, I couldn't wrap my head around how they would implement this; due to how the hardware is implemented. The position seems to be stored as a relative value within each device.

For example... Have a mirror replaced, or a seat, or a steering column, etc. After installation of the new component, you have to adjust and store your positions again. The new device will move when you change your profile, but to some seemingly random relative spot; not your previously stored positions.
Elon is a dreamer, the doesn't think through a lot of the features anymore before tweeting them or even selling them. Blind spot monitoring on AP1 using ultrasonics - total fail, doesn't work in windy conditions or next to tractor trailers. FSD on AP2, same - there just isn't enough sensors or simply ways to keep the sensors clean to summon across the country or let the car participate in ride-sharing like Elon would have people believe that they will be able to do with AP2. The guy is a visionary, which is great to motivate people and spur innovation, but once you start committing and taking money for your pipe dreams, and then deliver BS, then you start pissing people off.

Last edited:
I suggest to give the guy a break - he has accomplished more in less time than anyone else I can think of - let alone deliver the most technically advanced and best people movers thus far. A key gadget idea should be a low priority esp given that M3 users want the S/X fob over their Bluetooth phone.

If Elon was giving away free stuff, he'd get nothing but accolades for his accomplishments, but once he sells stuff and doesn't deliver, don't be surprised people get irked. Do you think Elon himself accepts such excuses, say he paid for 50K Model 3 batteries but only received 28K of them, but the manufacturer tells him that they broke a world record for the longest lasting phone battery made for the latest Samsung phone. You think Elon would say "ok, no problem, keep my money and don't worry about the rest of the delivery because you accomplished something spectacular for some other customer"? I suspect not.

I suggest to give the guy a break - he has accomplished more in less time than anyone else I can think of - let alone deliver the most technically advanced and best people movers thus far. A key gadget idea should be a low priority esp given that M3 users want the S/X fob over their Bluetooth phone.
I think we give him a lot of breaks. Just wish he would quit tweeting out stuff that doesn't come true. It's totally unnecessary and makes him look bad. Obviously his accomplishments have been great, but all the sugar he says that doesn't come true is a bit ridiculous. Elon, I love you man, but come on.

Reactions: JohnnyG
It all comes true and we have learned to call it Elon-time. A visionary is always ahead of reality - just where we want them.
It doesn’t all come true by any stretch of the imagination. Significantly improved browser, smart phone mirroring, advanced summon abilities for AP1, cameras as dash cams, autonomous coast to coast by the end of 2017, your AP2 car will be fully autonomous, just to name a few. I guess you could always say it’s still to come. Maybe if he would at least preface it with “I would like to do this, but there’s a good chance we won’t be able to pull it off. Please don’t count on it, but these are things we are thinking about doing.”

Reactions: JohnnyG and whitex
It all comes true and we have learned to call it Elon-time. A visionary is always ahead of reality - just where we want them.
That's the problem, people who haven't been Tesla's customers for a while think it all comes true. It doesn't and it won't - SDK for apps for my cars that Elon promised in 2013, not happenning. 691hp enabled over the air for P85D, not happenning. Reliable blind spot monitoring for AP1 cars, not happening. "Car will find you anywhere on private property" as Elon promised for AP1, not happening. This is just small subset of things which we now know for sure are not happening. I didn't include FSD in this, though I believe it it in the same group, because there are some people out there who would vigorously argue because that still believe in thinks like this:
Elon-Summon-2016.png

I also tweeted Elon a few months back, (before everyone was hackling him with the Sentry update) but didn't receive any answer... :(

I would love this feature on my S and X, as I don't carry any house key thanks to my smart lock and I don't carry any wallet thanks to Samsung Pay, I would love not to carry any key fob and just use my phone for everything.