Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Phone Auto-connect lost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since about middle of May, I've noticed 2 issues with the connectivity for my phone's bluetooth and I'm wondering if others have had this issue and there's a working solution
1. When entering my Model 3, the bluetooth connection does not auto-connect my phone. Thus, I have to select the bluetooth icon, select my phone and click connect every time I enter the car.
2. With bluetooth connected and playing music or on a call, stopping the car to hop out and grab the mail, when I get back in the car, shut the door and press the brake, my phone disconnects thus I have to reconnect again..

Any help would be appreciated!!

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim and 3peat
I just got my Model 3 back from service (Costa Mesa) for same issue. They said it is known issue and will be fixed in future update!

Unfortunately, there is no workaround that I was able to figure out. I also had reported that I have to max out the (phone) volume when I am on the call as I would have hard time hearing the person on the other end when I am on freeway!! (to this also they said to wait for fix, and is a known issue to Tesla)

I just got my Model 3 back from service (Costa Mesa) for same issue. They said it is known issue and will be fixed in future update!

Unfortunately, there is no workaround that I was able to figure out. I also had reported that I have to max out the (phone) volume when I am on the call as I would have hard time hearing the person on the other end when I am on freeway!! (to this also they said to wait for fix, and is a known issue to Tesla)

Thanks for the info! I am actually updating from 2019.16.2 right now, hopeful this fixes the connectivity issue. For maxing out volume on freeway, check what your phone volume is when you make a call and max out the Tesla volume. I had an issue like this in my wife's car (2016 Prius) and couldn't figure it until I saw that my iPhone volume was still adjustable and super low. I maxed out the volume from my iPhone and then adjusted via the car volume and problem was solved

My 2013 Honda CRV is the first car I've had with BlueTooth audio. It takes 30 seconds to make the connection, but it connects every time. If I was listening to something when I stopped the car, then playback resumes at that point. I never have to take the phone out of my pocket.

I've had my Model 3 for two months now. The BlueTooth key functionality has worked flawlessly. However, connectivity for audio from my phone has been poor. Only rarely will it auto-connect and start playing where it left off. Sometimes it will just auto-connect. Usually I have to select the BlueTooth icon, select my phone, and click connect. Then it usually connects, but sometimes I have to click connect again. After the connection is finally made, I have to wake up my phone, unlock the screen, navigate to the audio book reader, and hit "play". Which is a lot more than I want to do while driving.

When I arrive at my destination, I put the car in park, open the door, and playback stops. But sometimes I can hear it continue but at a much-reduced level. That wouldn't matter with music, but with an audio book, I want to hear every passage. And of course I had to take the phone out of my pocket, so I have to remember to take it with me when I leave the car.

Honda engineers understood BlueTooth well enough six years ago to design a reliable interface. I wish Tesla would find someone with a thorough understanding of the protocol to debug their implementation.

• Informative
Reactions: 3peat
Sorry to resurrect this thread but yeah I've basically had the exact same issue on my 3 since day one (3/18). My issues are one of these:
  1. Get in car, doesn't auto-connect at all, even if I wait for several minutes, even after I've started driving.
  2. Phone connects before I even get in car, as soon as I shut down, it disconnects
  3. Phone connects before I get in, close door, remains connected, but as soon as I put my foot on the brake to start driving, disconnects
  4. Phone connects after I get in to car and then quickly disconnects (after either literally 1 second or up to 5 seconds) before I can do anything
  5. And 20% of the time it just connects and works perfectly, sometimes even auto-playing what I was listening to last
I've brought my car in for other issue to the SC and always mention this to them and they have made several attempts to diagnose it or make recommendations but nothing has worked. Here's a semi-comprehensive list of the things I have tried:
  1. Restart phone
  2. Unpair/re-pair phone to car
  3. Delete phone from car and then re-add
  4. Delete car from phone and then re-add
  5. Uninstall/reinstall the Tesla App
  6. Soft Reset Car
  7. Hard Reset Car
  8. Switched phones thinking that may solve it (went from a Galaxy S8 to iPhone X)
  9. Stopped wearing a smartwatch thinking that the bluetooth on that might be impacting the car,
  10. Started keeping timestamps of every time this issue occurs so that maybe the techs can diagnose something in the cars logs but still no luck.
  11. SC told me that perhaps it was because I have a contact that I stored with an emoji in their name so I removed that character to see if it helped but it did not.
  12. The SC suggested that perhaps I have too many contacts so I trimmed it down to under 300 and that didn't help either.
  13. The SC thought that maybe it's because I have phone phone numbers stored with a "+" before the number, so I went in and removed all those extra symbols from my contacts and of course, nope. I even went in and manually cleaned all the phone numbers so they were just numbers, no dashes or anything, just numbers, but still nope.
Also, whenever I have the car at the SC and I'm in a loaner Model S, I setup my phone to pair with the car and it has ZERO troubles auto-connecting. It works every time like it should.

I'm running 2019.32.12.2. The Tesla App (which honestly, shouldn't even have an impact on this, but whatever) is 3.10.1 (iOS). I have VIN 9XXX, Long Range, RWD, Premium Package.

If any one else has any ideas of what's going on or how they solved it, I'm all ears.

I should also clarify that my Bluetooth Key feature works just fine.

The techs at the SC said that they checked my BT antenna and signal for any faults but could not detect anything. After some back and forth I'm bringing my car back in on Monday so I'll keep you guys posted.

Phone connects before I even get in car, as soon as I shut down, it disconnects

That should say, "...as soon as I 'sit down'" not "shut down."

Honda engineers understood BlueTooth well enough six years ago to design a reliable interface. I wish Tesla would find someone with a thorough understanding of the protocol to debug their implementation.

Preach!

For some reason, after all my trips to the SC (SD-Miramar), no one has ever mentioned this to me. I hope its true (that they're aware of the issue and working on it) but it doesn't bode well if I'm the first person at my SC to bring this issue to their attention. I wonder how truly widespread this is and why for the love of god it's only impacting such a low number. Bluetooth is a pretty common standard and the iPhone is pretty popular I hear. ‍♂️

I have the exact same issues. Interesting that you have an iPhone. I have a Pixel 3xl. Guess it's likely not my phone.

Your writeup made me think of something since you mentioned special characters. My phone is named "Gary's Phone" for the Bluetooth connection. Not sure if you can rename it on the iPhone but any chance you can/have renamed yours also with an apostrophe or space (etc)?

I have the exact same issues. Interesting that you have an iPhone. I have a Pixel 3xl. Guess it's likely not my phone.

Your writeup made me think of something since you mentioned special characters. My phone is named "Gary's Phone" for the Bluetooth connection. Not sure if you can rename it on the iPhone but any chance you can/have renamed yours also with an apostrophe or space (etc)?

I haven't tried renaming my phone but that will definitely be something for me to try. I also have a few Irish friends with apostrophes in their names. I may try and remove those to see if it works.

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO happy that others are having this problem. I have a 2018 Model 3, Long Range, Dual Motor. Picked it up on November 3, 2018. My wife and I have the exact same phone - Samung Galaxy S8+. Configured for Bluetooth exactly the same. Hers connects perfectly every time and she has no problem getting phone calls in the car. She has no idea what Bluetooth is or how it works. She couldn't turn it on or off if her life depended on it, but she never has a problem.

When I first got my car, using my phone as a key was never a problem. However, getting a Bluetooth connection to get a phone call or play music was hit and miss. Usually miss. The Bluetooth icon on my screen was usually always grayed out.

Fast fast forward about 6 months and all of a sudden my Bluetooth connection works perfectly. I use the phone as a key. I get every phone call and can play music from my phone anytime I want. This works for about a year. I'm in heaven!

So one day I'm outside cutting my grass and I take a break. I pull my phone out of my pocket to check to see if I have gotten any texts or calls. My phone is asking me if I want to start up in English. I don't want to restart it at all, but the phone is not giving me any other option. I tried shutting it down and restarting, but it still keeps asking if I want to restart in English. I had no option but to say "Yes". Turns out my phone is restarting as if I had just taken it out of the box - Day 1. I've lost all my texts. Lost all my pictures. Lost all my music. I was able to keep my complete contact list and all apps were still on my phone. However, I did have to go through and re-sign in to every app to get it to work.

Now for the kicker. I can still use my Tesla app as my key. But I physically have to open the app for it to work. Can't just have it running in the background. I'm convinced it's my phone. Not my car.

By the way, my wife still doesn't have any trouble.

Im driving a 2018 RWD Long Range premium interior/sound and at first my car stayed connected, but a few months after owning, now i have to manually connect all the time to get the sound to come through the car, thus is crazy because my 2011 nissan leaf never did this, the phone key works great but the BT volume for media has to always be manually connected wtf?