TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bluetooth Phone Call Quality

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Gentilly7, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Gentilly7

Gentilly7 Member

I took deliver of a new S60 in December. The audio quality when making a bluetooth phone call is horrible. People can hear me fine but they sound bad to me. It only sounds bad from the 2 passenger front and rear speakers. It sounds like the speakers are blown, they make a distorted rattle/screeching sound.

The speakers only sound like this over bluetooth phone calls. Radio and even playing music sounds fine. Tesla reset the bluetooth module and said it resolved the issue but after a few calls I can say for sure it is not resolved.

Is this the norm? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I am using an iPhone 6 Plus with latest version of iOS if that matters.

2. kdday

kdday Member

I have this exact same complaint. It sounds like my passenger speakers are blown and scratching when I have conversations.

Radio sounds great.

3. wangjue

wangjue Member

I don't like the bluetooth phone call sound either, worse than my treaded in car.

4. jdc1

jdc1 Member

I also have terrible voice quality, using the Bluetooth speaker phone. Apple speaker phone is perfect on the same call, but over the Telsa speakerphone, other party hears such dropouts as to inhibit further conversations. Sometimes a useful feature.

j

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

I only have trouble with one particular person who calls me with their iPhone 6. They tell me I sound like I'm in a tunnel and I can barely hear them at all. Everyone else, even with an iPhone 6 and on the same carrier, sound fine on my car. I don't know what's wrong with that one particular caller, but I've decided to stop taking their calls when in my car.

6. FrederikBoivin

Mine is fine. Iphone6.

7. CricTic

CricTic Member

Is your volume maxed out on the phone? You might try turning the volume down on your phone one or two clicks when you're in a call. I have a similar issue in my car (not a Tesla) that goes away when I do that.

8. Gentilly7

Gentilly7 Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a try

9. MC408

MC408 Member

Bumping this thread. Anyone who had bad phone call quality take their car to a SC?

Anything they can do to fix it?

10. Tobycat

Tobycat Member

I get no volume for phone calls through bluetooth (iPhone 10 max). Just started a month ago. Before then everything worked fine

11. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Try having both parties turn “Phone Noise Cancelation” OFF on their phone.

It’s under Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Phone Noise Cancelation

For some reason, some cars built in phone noise cancelation conflicts with the phones noise cancelation.

Also, try lowering the volume in your car as much as you can, but still hear them comfortably. Note: Phone call volume is a separate volume. Adjust it during a call on the car. If it’s too loud the feed back cancelation gets over worked. It can cause phrases to get clipped, wierd echos and other artifacts.

One more, on some carriers (e.g. Verizon) you can optionally turn OFF “Voice Over LTE”, it will often give you better and more consistent call quality. But you will lose Simultanious Voice and DATA if you disable it. It goes by different names. And might not be available on your carrier or phone.

For Verizon iPhone it’s under Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Enable LTE -> Data Only. If it doesn’t show on Verizon iPhone it (HD Voice) is not enabled on your account. It’s nice to have both options. Try both ways, it’s very local dependent which will work best.

• Informative x 1
  12. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Make sure BOTH the phone volume is up and the car volume is up. Adjust BOTH during a call. But dont adjust it louder than you need or you might create other problems. See my post above.

13. Gentilly7

Gentilly7 Member

I have. To be clear, my problem is with distortion resonating from the door speakers while on phone calls. The SC added additional insulation and tightened the speaker mounts. Things sounded better for a while but the problem eventually came back to the same severity.

The funny thing is I can turn a song up to full volume with a lot of bass and will not hear any distortion. I ordered a set of BA Desing Works door speakers that I’m hoping will address this issue. I should be installing them this week. Will report back.

14. wigalo

wigalo Member

I had a 2015 70d and the phone over bluetooth sounded horrendous. I recently purchased a 2017 90d and I can't believe how good the phone (same note 8) sounds with this car for some reason.

15. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I had the left rear door speaker do that. It only vibrated at certain voice frequencies and didn't tend to vibrate from music. Tesla tried tightening down the speaker, but when the problem came back, they replaced it. If the car is out of warranty you can probably get a speaker from a wreck pull, or possibly a new one from Tesla direct. There are videos out there on how to get the door panels apart.

16. Gentilly7

Gentilly7 Member

I recently upgraded my door speakers with BA Design works speakers. I also added some sound deadening. Problem solved. No distortion at any level.