Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Phone Connectivity Barely Works Anymore :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since a few updates ago, my Bluetooth connectivity barely works any more :( Anyone else having Bluetooth issues?

I have MCU 2.0 with a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and it seems most of the time I get in my car. The car does not connect to the phone. Sometimes I can manually go into the car's Bluetooth settings, press "Connect" and it will connect to the phone but other times it just shows a sniping animation and nothing happens. If it does manage to connect, oftentimes I have phone access where I can send and receive calls but no text message, call log, or contacts.

If I delete the profile and recreate it then it would work for the current drive but after the car has gone to sleep and I get back in, Bluetooth connectivity is again broken.

I hope this does not become like the USB music player but where the USB music never reliably resumed and they never fox it. Bluetooth connectivity with the car is kind of a big deal and I'd love for this to be rock solid, like in other cars I've owned.

If there's something I could be doing wrong, please let me know.

Already done the obvious things like rebooting the car, rebooting the phone, deleting the Bluetooth profile and recreating it. Making sure Text Messages, Contacts, Calling, etc., are selected for the Bluetooth profile both in the car and my phone.

The issues are numerous & persistent for Android & iPhones. The # of Bluetooth bugs increase with each new update. But hey, we at least have farts taking up resources. Tesla is the worst.

I wouldn't go that far! Tesla software is the best in the automotive industry but I really wish they had more of an appreciation for some of these bugs that really ruin the ownership experience.

Let me tell you it just sucks AF to get in the car, a call comes, and you realize the car's Bluetooth is so buggy that you can't use the Bluetooth for the call and have to dig the phone out of your pocket and hold the phone with one hand while driving like it was 1990.

Also sucks AF when you approach to pick up someone, issue a voice command to send them a text message that you are approaching to realize oh Sh!t Bluetooth does not work again and the phone is not connected to the car.

I wish they would devote at last 15% of the software resources to fixing these persistent bugs that not only makes the driving experience miserable but is also a safety issue.

It's not safe to have to pull out your phone while driving because the Bluetooth interface is so flaky. For all the advanced features of the Model S, none of my other cars have had this issue. They really need to offer some love to bug fixes. Might not be as sexy as some of the cool new features but the features they have implemented should work, especially safety-oriented features like Bluetooth.

Last edited:
The only problems I have on iOS are occasionally long waits before connecting, with the message "bluetooth is initializing". I gather this is a sign of MCU1 problems that eventually lead to failure, not the phone itself.

Other than that, 100% solid.

The only problems I have on iOS are occasionally long waits before connecting, with the message "bluetooth is initializing". I gather this is a sign of MCU1 problems that eventually lead to failure, not the phone itself.

Other than that, 100% solid.

I wonder if the Bluetooth interface has these connectivity issues more with Android phones...

My iphone XR was connecting just fine until most recent update to the Car. Now phone still connects and works fine, but no album art when playing music from the phone via bluetooth. I did reboot the MCU (Held both steering wheel buttons) but no help.

I wouldn't go that far! Tesla software is the best in the automotive industry but I really wish they had more of an appreciation for some of these bugs that really ruin the ownership experience.

Let me tell you it just sucks AF to get in the car, a call comes, and you realize the car's Bluetooth is so buggy that you can't use the Bluetooth for the call and have to dig the phone out of your pocket and hold the phone with one hand while driving like it was 1990.

Also sucks AF when you approach to pick up someone, issue a voice command to send them a text message that you are approaching to realize oh Sh!t Bluetooth does not work again and the phone is not connected to the car.

I wish they would devote at last 15% of the software resources to fixing these persistent bugs that not only makes the driving experience miserable but is also a safety issue.

It's not safe to have to pull out your phone while driving because the Bluetooth interface is so flaky. For all the advanced features of the Model S, none of my other cars have had this issue. They really need to offer some love to bug fixes. Might not be as sexy as some of the cool new features but the features they have implemented should work, especially safety-oriented features like Bluetooth.
Why do you keep saying "sucks AF" ??

Reactions: ragedogg69
This definitely a case where they made a pointless “upgrade” to break something that wasn’t broken. SMH

Since the update that changed it so Bluetooth wouldn’t connect until you’re in the driver seat with the door closed (seriously who asked for this?????), I can’t toggle between Bluetooth devices. I have to turn off the Bluetooth on the connected device in order to get the second device to connect. I used to be able to just pick the second device on the screen and it would connect, bumping the old device off. This and the delayed connection when I enter are just mild annoyances so I didn’t bother making a thread about it, but it’s just another reason I’d wish they stopped trying to “upgrade” my car. Just let me live out the rest of its days with the current functionalities and only give me security updates. They’re FAR more likely to downgrade my car with these updates than give me some new features I’d actually want at this point.

@RAW84 While I didn't ask for that update, many people did (or at least complained at the fact a call would roll over to bluetooth when they opened the trunk or rear door to load bags/children/whatever and then would have issues when the door closed until they got into the driver's seat. Tesla's solution was to delay connecting the bluetooth until you were in the driver's seat.

While I never complained, I had the issue all the time when leaving the office on the phone as I normally open the rear door to put in my briefcase. Phone would roll over to the car. I can hear them through the speakers, but I'm still out of the car, so they don't hear me. I close the door and move to the driver's door to open it and get in and I can hear a muffled voice in the car as the call continues. For me, I think the solution they came up with was great....

I'm not saying your objections aren't valid, but there was a reason that many people complained about and Tesla was resolving an issue that WAS broken for many people. This isn't an issue in other cars because the bluetooth doesn't initialize until you turn the car on, so it doesn't roll over until you are in the driver's seat and start the car. Tesla has now recreated a similar experience/functionality.

Data point: 2016 90D with a Galaxy S9

The only issue I can say I have is the car and phone will argue which play button is king. If I push play on my phone, sometimes the car will play for a second then immediately pauses the audio. This goes on until I push play on the car. Weird stuff.

The actual Bluetooth connection between my phone and Tesla has been rock solid.

This definitely a case where they made a pointless “upgrade” to break something that wasn’t broken. SMH

Since the update that changed it so Bluetooth wouldn’t connect until you’re in the driver seat with the door closed (seriously who asked for this?????), I can’t toggle between Bluetooth devices. I have to turn off the Bluetooth on the connected device in order to get the second device to connect. I used to be able to just pick the second device on the screen and it would connect, bumping the old device off. This and the delayed connection when I enter are just mild annoyances so I didn’t bother making a thread about it, but it’s just another reason I’d wish they stopped trying to “upgrade” my car. Just let me live out the rest of its days with the current functionalities and only give me security updates. They’re FAR more likely to downgrade my car with these updates than give me some new features I’d actually want at this point.

While I understand your concern it is needless to connect the two together.

Many people appreciate the new behavior of how Bluetooth works. This used to be a constant problem for me when I wash the car and listen to music. As soon as I open a car door to vacuum, I would no longer hear the music out of my headphones.

So let's not throw the baby with the bathwater. Let's KEEP the new functionality that transfers Bluetooth when you sit in the car and close the door but the problem is even after you get in the car and close the car door, Bluetooth does not connect. They just need to fix the connectivity issue.

Many people appreciate the new behavior of how Bluetooth works. This used to be a constant problem for me when I wash the car and listen to music. As soon as I open a car door to vacuum, I would no longer hear the music out of my headphones.

Oh wow I didn't know they changed it. I had the same problem. I actually thought about deleting the BT profile before washing car and put it back afterward. Then I realized that the car connect to the first phone it sees. So I just bring my wife's phone close to car (when I am at the step to clean the inside) and let it connects to her phone. Then I could wash the car and listen to music on phone with my BT headsets.

Oh wow I didn't know they changed it. I had the same problem. I actually thought about deleting the BT profile before washing car and put it back afterward. Then I realized that the car connect to the first phone it sees. So I just bring my wife's phone close to car (when I am at the step to clean the inside) and let it connects to her phone. Then I could wash the car and listen to music on phone with my BT headsets.

Yup, it's a great feature but looks like they have broken Bluetooth connectivity for a bunch of us.

Text messages, phone books, and recent contacts barely ever work anymore unless I reboot the car, delete the Bluetooth Profile, and reestablish it. Text messages and contacts would then work but back to no connectivity next time I'm in the car.

I really hope they fix this because this bug actually affects safety.

@RAW84 While I didn't ask for that update, many people did (or at least complained at the fact a call would roll over to bluetooth when they opened the trunk or rear door to load bags/children/whatever and then would have issues when the door closed until they got into the driver's seat. Tesla's solution was to delay connecting the bluetooth until you were in the driver's seat.

While I never complained, I had the issue all the time when leaving the office on the phone as I normally open the rear door to put in my briefcase. Phone would roll over to the car. I can hear them through the speakers, but I'm still out of the car, so they don't hear me. I close the door and move to the driver's door to open it and get in and I can hear a muffled voice in the car as the call continues. For me, I think the solution they came up with was great....

I'm not saying your objections aren't valid, but there was a reason that many people complained about and Tesla was resolving an issue that WAS broken for many people. This isn't an issue in other cars because the bluetooth doesn't initialize until you turn the car on, so it doesn't roll over until you are in the driver's seat and start the car. Tesla has now recreated a similar experience/functionality.

That’s fair, I see how it wasn’t to the liking for other owners.

But it was for me. And I don’t like the “upgrade”. As I stated, I’m to the point where I’d much rather they stop “upgrading” my car (aside from necessary security updates). I haven’t gotten a desired update in years, yet I’ve gotten numerous added annoyances.

Anyone found any solutions to Bluetooth not connecting to the car reliably anymore?

Sometimes when Bluetooth does not connect, I can manually click the connect button but then only phone calls work via Bluetooth with text messages, contacts, and recent calls still not syncing.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Am I the only person whose car lo longer automatically connects to my phone via Blutooth when I get in? o_O

I wonder if this is a hardware issue for my car. I now need to manually connect the car when I get in.

I have the exact same issue with my Android phone. Car no longer auto connects :(

I need to manually reconnect but then I see a spinning circle where the screen looks stuck and I need to cancel out of that. At which point Bluetooth is connected for voice but I still can't access the contacts, recent calls, or text messages.

Looks like a recent software update completely broke the Bluetooth auto connect interface, at least for a bunch of us with Android phones.

Anyone found any solutions to Bluetooth not connecting to the car reliably anymore?

Sometimes when Bluetooth does not connect, I can manually click the connect button but then only phone calls work via Bluetooth with text messages, contacts, and recent calls still not syncing.
are all of your doors closed and it STILL doesnt automatically connect?

Since the update, mine doesnt show the album art for any song played via bluetooth from my Iphone Xr. Rebooted everything..multiple times. Deleted and readded the phone. Everything else works fine,but zero album art from the phone connection. Used to work fine pre-update

are all of your doors closed and it STILL doesnt automatically connect?

At least in my case, all doors are closed. Car does not automatically connect to my phone via Bluetooth any more.

It's not even 50/50 any more. Bluetooth connectivity is just plain broken and I need to manually connect each time.

Something is just messed up with the Bluetooth interface.