Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Phone NEVER works, just me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an older Google Nexus 5 phone and my bluetooth phone basically never works. I think it used to work back when I first got my car, but now it never works as far as I can tell. Incoming calls don't pick up on the car and outgoing calls don't either. I can normally dial from the car if it decides to connect, but it still goes to the phone.

I can't wait for bluetooth as a technology to die. It's horrible in nearly every regard from my experience.

Does anyone else have phone problems?

I have an older Google Nexus 5 phone and my bluetooth phone basically never works. I think it used to work back when I first got my car, but now it never works as far as I can tell. Incoming calls don't pick up on the car and outgoing calls don't either. I can normally dial from the car if it decides to connect, but it still goes to the phone.

I can't wait for bluetooth as a technology to die. It's horrible in nearly every regard from my experience.

No, but I have a newer phone and update. I wonder if your phone has any updates available that would let it talk to other technology better?

I have an "older" iPhone (SE) and bluetooth has never failed me (unlocking the car, voice dialing, phone calls, playing Spotify thru my phone to the car speakers, etc). I only have a problem when my phone battery dies and I'm outside the car. So .... I will be getting APPL to replace the battery next week.

I also have an Essential PH1 and am having problems with bluetooth. Music streaming works fine but the phone connection hardly ever works.

Bluetooth implementation by phone-makers clear vary. That said, Tesla, I think, has a narrow band of bluetooth implementation. If I didn't have issues between my Essential PH1 and my other cars, then it can't be just the Essential. Plus, just look around the Model 3-verse, people with other phones, mostly Android-based it seems, also have bluetooth issues.

Reactions: jmp3000

Hi ratsbew, I have the same phone as you, Nexus 5, and initially had a lot of connectivity issues. My phone would continuously connect and then immediately disconnect and I had to cycle Bluetooth on and off multiple times to get it to stay connected. I searched various forums for a solution and finally found a solution. Here is what worked for me:

I went through my contact list and removed any special characters (~!@#$%()-, etc.) from my contacts names and that was it! Try searching your contacts and remove any special characters from the contact name fields and see if that works for you. Hope that helps!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
it used to work flawlessly on my vivo NEX S. after a few tesla app and car updates, it never works unless i open the app (pointless as a passive system). app and bluetooth gets priority "always on" in my phone, same as before. luckily i have my fob, which although requires a button press, works 100% of the time without requiring the car to wake up or the phone key to connect which takes forever.