Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth problem? Entering the car while on a call - doesn't transition to speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty common for me to already be on the phone when I get in the car in the morning, lots of morning meetings.

I've noticed it a few times now, when I enter the car with a call in progress, the audio does not come out of the car speakers. The phone is conencted via bluetooth:
1. Bluetooth indicator on my phone displays active
2. Phone shuts off speakerphone, the speakerphone icon turns off (obviously only when I was on speakerphone)
3. The bluetooth icon turns on and the phone "thinks" its connected to the speakers
4. Current radio program mutes on the car speakers, my phone should now be playing through the speakers
5. Car UI displays call control options

But no audio from the speakers.

If I go to my phone and re-hit speakerphone, the audio comes back through the speakerphone.
If I hit handset on my phone, the audio comes out the handset.
If I hit bluetooth... it doesn't come out my speakers.

The phone is connected to bluetooth. The car shows the connection too. I've checked the volume controls, I've tried switching it back & forth between the phone & the car as mentioned above, I've tried entering the car on speakerphone or on handset mode, doesn't matter.

The only fix is to drop the call, then start a new call while I'm in the car. Then it'll play the audio through the speakers.

Pretty annoying thing to happen on a daily basis. Not sure if its the phone or the car... but I'm pretty sure this used to work.

Last edited:
Sorry. But I'm confused.

"I've noticed it a few times now, when I enter the car with a call in progress, it makes the bluetooth connection:
1. Bluetooth indicator on my phone displays active
2. Phone shuts off speakerphone to transition to speakers
3. Current radio program mutes on the car speakers
4. UI displays call control options

But the sound, does not transition to my car speakers when the call was already in progress."

These two statements seem to contradict each other. Was it not worded properly or am I missing something obvious?

I have not had this issue and am interested in understanding it as occasionally my phone does not connect with the car at all. Very random. I then need to turn of BT on my phone and reinitiate it, which is a PIA while driving. I am wondering if our issues are related.

Edited the first post to clarify a bit:

My phone switches from speakerphone to bluetooth mode. (speakerphone shuts off, bluetooth talk mode button lit up [Android OS].. its trying to transition to the speakers... just nothing happens)

Everything on my phone UI shows it is connected. The car shows it is connected. But no audio out of the speakers.

I can switch audio back to the phone to confirm the call is still going. Then when I switch to the car... no audio.

I have to drop and reconnect.

I just started having this same problem. Yes, I have an Android phone, but have had the phone over a year and this issue just started a few weeks ago. Could be due to an Android update, but then again, this thread is over a year old so I question if that could be the source of the problem. Has anyone found a fix?

I just started having this same problem. Yes, I have an Android phone, but have had the phone over a year and this issue just started a few weeks ago. Could be due to an Android update, but then again, this thread is over a year old so I question if that could be the source of the problem. Has anyone found a fix?
I've noticed that this happens sometimes still (maybe always? dunno, I don't often transition from cell-to-car mid-call). I just turn off bluetooth and continue the call on my cell.