Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth problems on phone calls only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One step forward and 3 steps back in Tesla firmware land...

Same issue with OnePlus 6 running various versions of OS including OP6 Beta 19. Currently on version a 2019.16.2 M3. Everything was working perfectly until sometime round 2018.44.x.

This is a Tesla bug without a doubt.

Did u think maybe you need a better phone?
Yes, we should all go and buy new phones because of a Tesla bluetooth glitch when literally every single other Bluetooth device in the entire world works fine with the phone, including numerous other cars I owned and even $20 add on bluetooth mics. Give me a break, this shouldn't be broken on Tesla's end. OP6 is one of the best phones on the market.

Reactions: Wackmack
I wouldn't have bought a new phone just to solve my Tesla woes except that my phone had started to power off or reboot whenever the battery was below 60%, and basically couldn't go more than a couple of hours without being tethered to a power source, so I finally bought a Pixel 3a earlier this week and thus far have had almost 100% success rate with walk up unlock and no problems with phone call audio issues.

No, we shouldn't have to buy a new phone, but a newer phone is more likely (but not guaranteed!) to work better.

I saw a bunch of Bluetooth audio-related commits in the LineageOS changelog and thought I'd update to latest version (lineage-16.0-20190608) and give things a try again, as I also was updated to Tesla firmware 2019.16.3.2. Sadly, there is still no audio at all when attempting to make phone calls after re-pairing.

I'm not sure where the bug is in LineageOS or in Tesla's BT stack, but this sure does suck.

I saw a bunch of Bluetooth audio-related commits in the LineageOS changelog and thought I'd update to latest version (lineage-16.0-20190608) and give things a try again, as I also was updated to Tesla firmware 2019.16.3.2. Sadly, there is still no audio at all when attempting to make phone calls after re-pairing.

I'm not sure where the bug is in LineageOS or in Tesla's BT stack, but this sure does suck.
I expect the reality is somewhere in between... issues in both Tesla's BT stack and LineageOS's (or perhaps the available binary blogs it has to use versus the ones in the default firmware for the phone, in which case other than finding a way to use a better blob Lineage can't do anything)

I have once had a problem with my new Pixel 3a where the person on the other end couldn't hear me, but I heard them (opposite of the old problem I had almost all the time with my old phone). So it seems that even the new phone which seemed to be working 100% isn't.

My experience is that this is an intermittent problem with the car only connecting to the phone sometimes. If you click the Bluetooth icon in the upper right of the car screen, you can see if it's connected to your phone. I check periodically and notice that sometimes it's connected; sometimes it's not. (I think the Bluetooth icon is grayed out if not connected) I haven't noticed a particular pattern. If I then click on my phone on the car screen telling it to connect, it takes a good 20 seconds to connect. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ running the latest versions of everything.

I had taken my car to a Tesla service center for another problem and also reported this. They reset the Bluetooth parrot module (causing me to re-pair my phone), but it didn't help. The service adviser told me he would open a tech case (5 days ago), but I haven't heard anything.

Has anybody given this a try with the latest 2019.20.x series of Tesla software, or with LineageOS updates in the past month? My car updated yesterday, and I'd like to get back to LineageOS if it's working now, but I don't want to put a lot of effort into the phone software changes unless there's more than a remote chance that it will work.

My experience is that this is an intermittent problem with the car only connecting to the phone sometimes. If you click the Bluetooth icon in the upper right of the car screen, you can see if it's connected to your phone.

This sounds like a different problem entirely than what's under discussion in this thread. This thread is about problems making phone calls only, even when other Bluetooth functions, like music streaming, work fine. (In fact, I think it's actually about two-way audio transfer, not phone calls per se; but phone calls are the usual reason for two-way Bluetooth audio transfers.) Since it can be confusing following two or more problems in a single thread, if you want to pursue your problem, I suggest you either start a new thread or track down another one about Bluetooth connection problems. (I've seen such threads, but I don't have links to any of them, offhand.)

Has anybody given this a try with the latest 2019.20.x series of Tesla software, or with LineageOS updates in the past month? My car updated yesterday, and I'd like to get back to LineageOS if it's working now, but I don't want to put a lot of effort into the phone software changes unless there's more than a remote chance that it will work.
Looks doubtful. I just got updated to 2019.20.2.1 so I updated to the official Lineage build from today on my old phone (LeEco Le Max 2). It only has a data SIM so I tried a couple WiFi calling apps but the behavior is exactly the same as when I was still using it as my main phone with the Google dialer. A few pops and then silence.

Looks doubtful. I just got updated to 2019.20.2.1 so I updated to the official Lineage build from today on my old phone (LeEco Le Max 2). It only has a data SIM so I tried a couple WiFi calling apps but the behavior is exactly the same as when I was still using it as my main phone with the Google dialer. A few pops and then silence.

Ah, well. Thanks for reporting your finding.

This is the response I received from a customer support rep:

"From my understanding, this is a known firmware bug that our engineers are actively working to fix. It is stated that we will have a fix for this in a future firmware release but it has not been targeted yet. I have added your vin to a list of the effected vehicles as to create better visibility on this concern. At this time, I would recommend that you continue tomonitor the firmware release notes, where once this is corrected it will be added there."

So yeah again, I urge you guys to email them to increase their perceived importance of the issue.

This is the response I received from a customer support rep:

"From my understanding, this is a known firmware bug that our engineers are actively working to fix. It is stated that we will have a fix for this in a future firmware release but it has not been targeted yet. I have added your vin to a list of the effected vehicles as to create better visibility on this concern. At this time, I would recommend that you continue tomonitor the firmware release notes, where once this is corrected it will be added there."

So yeah again, I urge you guys to email them to increase their perceived importance of the issue.

Do you have an e-mail address we can use to contact Tesla about this? I did it via the in-car bug-report feature and via their Web page, but the only contact information on the Web page seemed to be going to sales, and I don't trust it was properly routed from there. I couldn't find any sort of customer-service or bug-report e-mail address or form on the Tesla Web page. I haven't heard back from either of my contact attempts, either.

• Helpful
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Do you have an e-mail address we can use to contact Tesla about this? I did it via the in-car bug-report feature and via their Web page, but the only contact information on the Web page seemed to be going to sales, and I don't trust it was properly routed from there. I couldn't find any sort of customer-service or bug-report e-mail address or form on the Tesla Web page. I haven't heard back from either of my contact attempts, either.

That was the response I got from emailing [email protected]