Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth problems on phone calls only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem since 2019.12.X in my Tesla Model 3 and with Oneplus 6 in Stock Rom (Android 9). It's not related to LineageOS is something weird with Oneplus and Tesla Bluetooth.

Same situation here. Also Oneplus 6 user & worked fine prior to 2019.12.x also. Couldn't we backtrack changes to .12 somehow. What was the prior version, 2019.8.x right? I guess the actual change won't be a changenotes specified one; probably something too technical/codebase related...

Hi, I have the same problem with a Fairphone 2. My Model 3 is 10 days old, and I've never been able hear or be heard during a bluetooth phone call. The OS was LineageOS 15.1. I upgraded to LineageOS 16.0, and the problem is still here. Of course, my phone works perfectly with my old LEAF.
My wife's phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6 with Samsung's OS (android 7.0), and it woks fine.

This confirms everything said before in this thread.

I just emailed Tesla's customer support about this, hoping it will add a little more weight to this case.

Reposting for further debugging efforts:

So I have been attempting to troubleshoot the exact bug the OP posted above, which is a failure of Bluetooth calls to connect and sync audio in my Tesla Model 3 across multiple phones, multiple versions of Android and LineageOS, and multiple Tesla firmware versions for quite some time.

I believe the problem is *not* due to phone hardware alone. I believe this bug results from a combination of bad code somewhere in the Tesla Bluetooth firmware that, when combined with the rewritten Bluetooth stack in AOSP, Android Oreo (8) and Android Pie (9), on which LineageOS is based, causes Bluetooth audio to improperly connect resulting in a short series of pops/stutters upon connecting a call, and then silence.

I have completely un-paired / deleted Bluetooth pairing on each of these phones with full resets of the Tesla computer and phones before re-pairing, with no luck. I have also completed a "scrubbing" of special characters from my phone contacts as it was suggested this caused problems in another thread. Neither of these fixes helped.

Here is what I've tested so far:

Tesla Model 3 with Firmware 2019.12.1.2 (and several previous versions post 9.0):
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7) - WORKS
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8) - DOES NOT WORK
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 16 (Android 9 "Pie") - DOES NOT WORK
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7) - WORKS
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8) - DOES NOT WORK
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 16 (Android 9 "Pie") - DOES NOT WORK

The above testing leads me to believe that the bug is not in fact a hardware bug, but is a code mismatch between the updated Bluetooth stack in "stock Android," AOSP (which is also on Google Pixel phones) and LineageOS, and some code in recent Tesla firmware updates. It may have to do with the introduction of support for new Bluetooth audio codecs by Tesla which do not properly "handshake" with the code in AOSP / LineageOS to identify which protocols / codecs to use to send audio to and from the car. I have not yet tested phone firmware from vendors as I generally do not like outdated, bloated, closed source software on my phones.

There are several active bugs in the LineageOS Gerrit code review system and bug tracker system which suggest some developers are aware of Bluetooth audio problems across multiple devices, but I am unsure what code is causing the issues and whether these are related to our Tesla firmware bugs at all. Bluetooth code appears to be a very messy business indeed.

If anyone has suggestions of code that could be the culprit, please let us know and/or submit to LineageOS upstream and/or AOSP upstream, or submit to Tesla.

Same here, have a model 3 LR RWD that got a software update to 2019.20.4.2 a few weeks ago and now no Bluetooth audio from cell phone. Have a cheap Samsung flip phone.

I set up a service appointment with Tesla, but somehow I don't think they're going to be able to fix it.

Unfortunately, I don't know since it has been a few months since I had received a software update notification, but I am pretty sure it was working before. I guess I only started to pay attention to this version stuff after it broke.

Months eh? Hmmm...

Before May? Mine broke around early May, might you have still been on 2019.8.x??

Same exact problem here. Calls worked with 8.5. Don’t work with 12.1.1 or 12.1.2, even though media works from phone via BT.

Definitely Tesla broke something between 8.5 and 12.1.

I filed a bug report via voice command button in car. Suggest doing this daily for everyone with that problem :)

I tried all th suggested Bluetooth debugging steps. Unpaired/deleted from both sides, rebooted both sides, etc. No change.

It’s not my phone, it works in another vehicle still. It’s not totally the Tesla though because a different model iPhone works. Somehow It’s the combination of phone + Tesla that doesn’t work in 12.1 (but used to work in 8.5).

It must have been around early May too, but my M3 stopped getting update notifications since it got disconnected from WIFI. The car kept telling me WIFI was disconnected.... I reconnected it later, and this must have been in May, then a day later it said an update was available. I updated to 2019.20.4.2 and lost BT call-audio. Also lost my TPMS/ODO cards, but I found a fix for that online. I only drive my M3 about 2k miles per year BTW.

I got my update to 2019.24.4 late this afternoon, so this evening I re-installed LineageOS on my OnePlus 5t, and it works -- better than before, in fact. (As per my post that began this thread, it had only worked about half the time when I first got my car.) Thus, I'm pretty happy at this point!

Reactions: darth_vad3r