Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth - Streaming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody else have disconnect problems while streaming BT audio from their phones?

My phone (OnePlus 3, BT 4.2, Android 8.0.0) works nearly perfectly as a key, I've never really had that common issue. However, while listening to audio, sometimes it will stop, the display shows "disconnected" for a few seconds, then reconnects, and I have to push "play" again. This does not happen with BT headphones I use on the same phone.

My Model 3 is on 2018.21.9. I've had it less than 3 weeks, seems to have happened on both SW versions I've been on so far.

This can go 20-30 minutes without happening, or happen every 5 seconds for a few minutes. It's very strange. I've disabled "BT discovery" on my phone, since I thought it was being tripped up by other devices coming in range.

My wife has a OnePlus 5, BT 5.0, Android 8.0.0 and doesn't seem to have any issues. Hers works well as a key too.

Any ideas? Anybody else have something similar?

I have had the exact same issue on my MS with an iphone 6, and my ipad 4 for a few months. I intially thought the issue was my personal devices, until i noticed the car sometimes showed 'bluetooth initializing' when i attempted to reconnect.

I brought this up with the service shop a few times, the suggested fix was to delete the device from the bluetooth list (and vice versa)....that did not fix the issue.

Now i just grind my teeth everytime it happens...which is about every 5-30 minutes, or whenever it feels like messing up a streak.

My BT doesn't have any issues, other than occasional slight stutter.

The issue I do have, is the phone sometimes not connecting when I get in (seems to happen most often when I've just gotten in and back out, e.g. strapping my kids into their seats and then getting in the driver's seat). It's clearly connected to the "car" portion, since it'll let me drive off, but for some reason I have to manually connect it via the BT menu to get it to stream audio. weird.

I am a new owner, but have also had bluetooth connectivity issues. This is further complicated by the fact that in addition to my iphone, I have an apple watch and bluetooth enabled hearing aids, which is supposed to stream the sound to my ears. Thoughts? Ideas? There is no way to disconnect the hearing aids from bluetooth (they aren't listed on the bluetooth menu) without un-pairing them another way form the phone, and that's very inconvenient. Anyone having issues just caused by an apple watch?

Just wanted to let you know my wife's phone has the exact same problem. She has a OnePlus 3T with the latest stock software. Apparently it's some sort of bug with Android Oreo's implementation of Bluetooth. I heard that the lastest beta fixes it but my wife doesn't want beta software on her phone.

Reactions: theredviper
Just wanted to let you know my wife's phone has the exact same problem. She has a OnePlus 3T with the latest stock software. Apparently it's some sort of bug with Android Oreo's implementation of Bluetooth. I heard that the lastest beta fixes it but my wife doesn't want beta software on her phone.

Well I'm glad it's a reproducible error at least. My car upgraded to 26.1 the other day and the issue might be a little better. One time it actually started replaying the audio automatically once the connection came back on, which is a little better. It didn't do it the next time though, so I'm not sure what that setting was.

My wife has a OnePlus 5, BT 5.0, Android 8.0.0 and doesn't seem to have any issues. Hers works well as a key too.

i'd love to know what unicorn you've found here, because i have the exact same setup (except 8.0.1 on my OP5) and my phone almost never works as a key...

bluetooth streaming has been solid, though. i did see the behavior you were talking about occasionally until i decided to wipe my phone and put a custom AOSP rom on...haven't seen it since (that i can recall, knock on wood). OxygenOS is extremely buggy, in my experience...it sucks, because the phones themselves are great.

So I've encountered this intermittent error and it's extremely frustrating. It might be noteworthy that i recently took a drive from Austin to Denver and out on the interstate highways and off in the middle of nowhere my bluetooth streaming was flawless. Once I got into a downtown area the 2-30 minute "Device disconnected" cycle would begin (this was especially frustrating as I had almost forgotten about the Bluetooth issues during the long drives)

I was having this problem happen very frequently with my LG V20 with Android 8 (Oreo). (Verizon hasn't released an update to Android v9, so I am stuck on v8 for now).

The bluetooth connection to my phone would disconnect for a few seconds (~15) every 3 - 15 minutes. It was very aggravating.

I had tried all the available options that seemed reasonable: rebooting the car, phone, turning bluetooth off and back on, deleting the bluetooth pairing on the car and phone, etc... Nothing worked.

What finally worked was deleting the (Android) cache of network settings. This is a big change, as it will delete both your bluetooth pairings and WIFI network settings. But, if nothing else works, try it, as I can report that it worked for me.

Android: Go to Settings > Backup and restart > Reset network settings