Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth volume issues 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now in august 2021 my experience - I max out phone volume that’s connected to my 2021 Y, a sound alert comes through or something that would trigger a sound and my phone shows my volume again that’s now reduced to half. I turn it back up.

Agreed I still have to max out Audio on both phone and y to hear calls. Ridiculously quiet. And yes, as soon as music resume its fire hot angry loud.

also not sure why each time I have an alert like a text message etc, my volumes show on my phone etc

That appears to me to be a different problem than on this thread. I'm having the same issue with brand new SRY.

Calls are super low volume, have to turn the car all the way up to hear. Then when they hang up the music resumes and the volume nukes us. Whats weird is the it worked on the drive home from delivery but has done the quiet thing ever since. I have had the button control off, and we've tried with several iphones. No issues on our Kenwood unit in our van.

Anyone figure anything out on this?
I just took delivery and mistakingly did not test the phone with the person at the dealership. Tried to make a call, receive a call and couldn’t hear anything. They could hear me (got the text when I got home 2 hrs later)… the volume on the music through my iPhone via Bluetooth is perfect. Reading all these complaints is not making me very happy right now.

Having issues with my Bluetooth volume when a phone call comes in even if my music is loud and I can hear it perfectly, when the call comes in my volume reduces significantly and I have to increase my volume every time. Is anyone else having this issue? Also I have to reconnect my Bluetooth for my iPhone on my car every time I get into my car. I don’t know if this is user error or is this a knownTesla issue? New Tesla user here. Thanks
I have the same issue. I set up a service call with mobile Tesla and the guy couldn’t fix it. On highway speed I cannot hear the other side no matter how high the volume is. The technician said Tesla knows about it, but I felt that was a way for him to walk away without fixing it.

My issue is the opposite. In my S, the volume resets to 8 every time my phone gets an alert of any kind. The most frustrating part is that it happens only half of the time so I forget about it and then get blasted with a chime at 8 volume and almost crap my pants while driving.

when playing music (streaming) from iphone, volume is no problem. when any text message comes in, volume is super loud. this can be lowered by scrolling but when I return to streaming podcasts, i need to then increase the volume so i can hear it. and then another text comes in again, and its super loud. what to do? ive read through a few different posts, and it seems that there is no apparent real solution to this.

has anyone resolved this yet? without having to constantly switch back and forth w/iphone settings?

when playing music (streaming) from iphone, volume is no problem. when any text message comes in, volume is super loud. this can be lowered by scrolling but when I return to streaming podcasts, i need to then increase the volume so i can hear it. and then another text comes in again, and its super loud. what to do? ive read through a few different posts, and it seems that there is no apparent real solution to this.

has anyone resolved this yet? without having to constantly switch back and forth w/iphone settings?

We just started experiencing this maybe a couple months ago. Notifications and music, etc. on the phone (iPhone 12 mini w latest iOS) or even just starting to charge the phone sound maxes out the volume and I crap my pants.

After finally spending some time investigating why, I found a clue/help, but not a full solution:

Apparently, when the ringer volume is set on the phone, then next audio sent to the car resets the car volume to a similar level. It’s not exact, but I’ve played around with it enough to reproduce the issue by changing the ringer volume in phone’s settings (doesn’t matter if volume buttons are set to change ringer volume or not), then cause a sound (I’ve been just setting down on wireless charger), and the car volume will suddenly switch to about the same level as the ringer. So for now, my workaround is to lower my ringer volume to about 25%, so the car’s volume isn’t too high. It’s weird and hopefully they fix that so I can use the ringer volume I actually want.

• Helpful
Reactions: jr_gn
We just started experiencing this maybe a couple months ago. Notifications and music, etc. on the phone (iPhone 12 mini w latest iOS) or even just starting to charge the phone sound maxes out the volume and I crap my pants.

After finally spending some time investigating why, I found a clue/help, but not a full solution:

Apparently, when the ringer volume is set on the phone, then next audio sent to the car resets the car volume to a similar level. It’s not exact, but I’ve played around with it enough to reproduce the issue by changing the ringer volume in phone’s settings (doesn’t matter if volume buttons are set to change ringer volume or not), then cause a sound (I’ve been just setting down on wireless charger), and the car volume will suddenly switch to about the same level as the ringer. So for now, my workaround is to lower my ringer volume to about 25%, so the car’s volume isn’t too high. It’s weird and hopefully they fix that so I can use the ringer volume I actually want.
Never mind, someone else on another thread may have a better solution: Music randomly blares from speakers at full volume

I’ll test this today and update here!

that last link had the workaround and it worked perfectly -
On iPhone: Settings, Bluetooth, touch the little blue i icon beside the connection named for your Tesla, change the Device Type drop-down to Speaker (mine was at Car Stereo by default).

Thanks a ton for posting this!
ok a follow up - VOICE to TEXT does not work anymore on iphone. Outside of the car, from 10 feet away and more, it works. But open Messages app and try the mic and it doesn't work. So this solution isn't viable.