Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth vs Many Tesla Window Smashing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nowadays there are so many window smashing break-ins with Teslas, especially in the Bay Area. Thieves use Bluetooth scanner to look for laptops and phones. They smash windows and open the trunk to grab the bluetooth devices. Since Tesla has bluetooth enabled even when parked, Tesla is especially prone to BT scanner type break-ins. Thieves have no idea whether there is a laptop or not in the car until he smashes the window and open the trunk.

Should Tesla add an option to disable Bluetooth while parked? I know this option is not going to work with Model 3 users who choose to use phone keys, but for any Teslas with key fob/card key, this option would be nice.

The better bet is to not leave anything in the car and to make sure thieves can SEE that there isn't anything in the car.

Get rid of the privacy cover thing. Leave the hatch in floor open. I even leave a light colors blanket spread out on the floor in the trunk so that it's super easy to look through the window and see that there is nothing there in the dark.

A couple months ago there were 3 cars with smashed windows within about 100' of my car. mine was untouched. This was an after work gathering in Hayward around 8pm.

I've used a visual indicator like this: https://youtu.be/kogvx43coqY since my rear window was broken 11 days after ownership back in August in Oakland and I'm still paranoid. Been still parking on the street in the same area every week now and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). Paired with the blinking LED for the rear windows, Sentry mode and w/ rear seats down I feel more confident now parking around these parts. Sad it's come down to this but with what I have in place should be enough visual warning for the perps to skip to the next easier target, good luck to all moving forward and stay vigilant.