Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Weirdness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 MS. This problem has existed since I got the car. Currently on 2019.12 software.

iphoneX w/ current IOS

phone connected to car.
Audio works.
Headset works, as well as the terrible handsfree in the car can possibly work.

I always use a plantronics headset with my phone. I talk on the phone a LOT for work.

Away from the car the phone and headset work flawlessly. Zero issues.

In the car the headset works with my phone great, except for when randomly in the middle of calls the car will hijack the bluetooth conneciton and takeover. This effectively cuts me off midcall and I need to fumble with my phone to force it back to the plantronics headset.

I can manually go to BT (in the tesla settings) and disconnect it from the phone. The car will randomly reconnect to the phone without being told to do so, and then hijack the connection.

The only way to prevent this behavior is to remove the phone from the car. Like delete the pairing.

This problem happens a LOT, but at irregular intervals as far as I can tell. I'd say during an hour call it could happen 4 or 5 times on average. It doesn't always happen, but it happens a lot.

Every other car I've had allows you to define which BT profile is connected to the car. Audio/Media and Headset/Handsfree have been two different modes you can enable. Enabling only the media setting gets music and audio output to the car but no headset stuff.

How do I make these problems go away? Tesla has chosen to ignore them so far.

That will be hard. I owned a Mercedes CLS which will still my BT from the garage after being parked for 5 hours. It is a car BT issue. May also be different from phone to phone. I used to work at T-Mobile and I would have HTC engineers taking logs in my car with every new phone. Always had to be adjusted for the crappy BT interface (which by the way was made by a California based company called Piker (I hope they are out of business). Would you be able to try an Android see what you get? Secondly.. why not using the car? My 2018 MS was bringing in too much noise and I figured how to fix it. I removed the top grill and on top of the microphones I put a half inch foam pad and pushed it back in. Problem solved! Nobody complains about noise. Previously the noise was getting in because microphones are way to close to the roof. I don't understand why they did not do this in factory. But such an easy fix. 6.5x5 inch foam pad ...pretty much the size of the top grill. Maybe this will work for you.

LOL. I want it to work correctly. I know how to make it not work at all.

I want the calendar to work. I need BT connected for music and alerts. I just dont want the headset BT profile activated.

The kicker of it is that my first MS didn't have this issue, nor have any of the loaners I've had. Just this specific car. It's driving me crazy. If I unpair, there's no way to repair without stopping so that doesnt work on my 90min nonstop commute.

I'll file my 1000th complaint with Tesla.

Reactions: ironwaffle
I picked up my new MS yesterday and i am already having Bluetooth connectivity issues. In middle of a call or a playing of music from iphone X; it disconnects and re-connects on its own after a couple of seconds without disconnecting the caller. The call get bumped from car speaker to iphone (device) and back to car speaker. I called with tesla tech support and they made me pair/unpair and then made me power off the car but of no avail. I am at a loss of a solution. Can any one help?