Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blurry back up camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that the back up camera is a bit blurry, the objects are not looking as sharp as they used to.

I haven’t been driving much since a couple of weeks so I am not sure if this is related to a recent update. I have cleaned the lenses and also rebooted the screen.

Did anyone else experience this? I have scheduled a mobile service through the app.

I am still under 2yrs/50k warranty since I bought it used from Tesla but any idea why I am getting an invoice for $570? Is the backup camera not covered under warranty?

Attachments

• 068B203C-26AF-4C28-81E0-A7509F86DFA8.jpeg
    068B203C-26AF-4C28-81E0-A7509F86DFA8.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 533
I am still under 2yrs/50k warranty since I bought it used from Tesla but any idea why I am getting an invoice for $570? Is the backup camera not covered under warranty?
Hi
My camera is blurry as well. Did you get an answer from Tesla and did you have to pay the $570 invoice? Mine is only a year in and <20k miles, so it should still be in warranty as well. Just curious before I schedule a service

I was fairly sure the manual instructs not to use a pressure washer on the car. That said, I've used one once on my last S, but only the soap function, which is very low pressure. Just used a hose to rinse it off. Ending up being more work (to drag the pressure washer out) than to hand soap up the car.

@ElectricMagma just got my service done. Tech thinks the lens was just so scratched up that it was affecting image clarity. Replaced under warranty (this time) though! New rear-view camera view compared to old are attached.

I don't want to have to replace the camera again, even though it's relatively easy and cheap if done outside of warranty. Anyone have experience with this ukkocamera.com? I just ordered a set.

Attachments

• 3-old.png
    3-old.png
    643.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 3-new.png
    3-new.png
    968.8 KB · Views: 173
He said the same thing to me, But I know there was no way. He also suggested that power washing the car got the lens scratched, but I also knew that was a load. He showed me the scratches. I couldn’t see them. But he also suggested that he had the same convo with lots of other people

He said the same thing to me, But I know there was no way. He also suggested that power washing the car got the lens scratched, but I also knew that was a load. He showed me the scratches. I couldn’t see them. But he also suggested that he had the same convo with lots of other people
I could clearly see the swirling scratches all throughout the surface of my old lens. I confess on this forum that I have wiped dried salt/grime off with my thumb all the time. Although I think it'd be silly if the lens is soft enough that this would significantly impact clarity, but, the manual does say not to touch it... so maybe it is just that soft. Soft lenses, soft paint, maybe just a recurring Tesla theme.