Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blurry rearview camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving an old MS as a loaner while ours was in the SC for annual maintenance, we noticed a very real difference in the video quality of ours. Had service center look, and they agreed the image was not as good as should be. Today they picked it up and replaced the camera. No improvement. They removed the replacement and put in an "updated camera". Image now is like 4K. Suspect the updated camera is the one used with AP2. If yours doesn't look clear you might want to have it checked out.

Interesting, both my wife and I have remarked in the last couple of months that the rear camera is noticeably blurry. I don't know if there's some kind of crud on the inside of the lens or if it's somehow lost focus. Neither seems very believable, but something isn't right.

Are there photos of the different models? Curious which one I have.
Please don't quote me on this, but I think we have the following:
Rev A - 2012 to sometime in 2014
Rev B - 2014 to sometime shortly after 2016 refresh
Rev C - 2016 APv2 suite to current (part number: 1061269-00- 1 C)

A and B are virtually identical, Rev C is noticeably bulgy. A and B are absolutely different resolutions. There are claims that B and C are the same resolution on the 17" screen (I don't fully believe as others have said there is a slightly sharper picture on C, plus the possibility of less rain drops sticking due to the shape). All are plug in play, however, Rev C is less tolerant of extended video cables apparently (for use with second camera switch and trailer projects).

Ive heard the 3rd gen camera is the best, but which one does your invoice say has been installed?

Looks like they put a c model in to fix it...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corrections: Camera - Rear Facing
Verified rear view imagery is blurry.
Inspected and found pixel has poor quality due to internal defect of camera.
Removed camera assembly and replaced with a known good unit. Rechecked operation and found pixel quality is the same.
Removed and installed an upgraded camera. Refreshed camera, rechecked operation and picture quality is clear.
Normal operation has been restored.
Part Quantity
BACKUP CAMERA (SEMCO) (1061269-00C)
liftgate applique (1026649-00-D) 1 APPLIQUE TAPE, 5X90MM (1020987-00-A) 2 APPLIQUE TAPE, 12X55MM (1020988-00-A) 4

Please don't quote me on this, but I think we have the following:
Rev A - 2012 to sometime in 2014
Rev B - 2014 to sometime shortly after 2016 refresh
Rev C - 2016 APv2 suite to current (part number: 1061269-00- 1 C)
Well, it seems I could have either Rev B or Rev C. My car is a 9/16 build. I've attached a photo if that helps. The reason I'm curious is because the camera hasn't been super clear since day 1. If there's a newer version they could pop in then I may ask about it at the one year service appointment.

Attachments

• IMG_20170724_165901.jpg
    IMG_20170724_165901.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 282
Well, it seems I could have either Rev B or Rev C. My car is a 9/16 build. I've attached a photo if that helps. The reason I'm curious is because the camera hasn't been super clear since day 1. If there's a newer version they could pop in then I may ask about it at the one year service appointment.

Yours looks like the one I have now. I'd bring it up with the SC. My new one is incredibly sharp (like 4K tv)

I believe you have the B revision. The C revision looks a bit like a mushroom shape.