TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Blurry rearview camera

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dpodoll, Jul 19, 2017.

1. dpodoll

dpodoll Member

After driving an old MS as a loaner while ours was in the SC for annual maintenance, we noticed a very real difference in the video quality of ours. Had service center look, and they agreed the image was not as good as should be. Today they picked it up and replaced the camera. No improvement. They removed the replacement and put in an "updated camera". Image now is like 4K. Suspect the updated camera is the one used with AP2. If yours doesn't look clear you might want to have it checked out.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Ive heard the 3rd gen camera is the best, but which one does your invoice say has been installed?

3. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

Are there photos of the different models? Curious which one I have.

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Interesting, both my wife and I have remarked in the last couple of months that the rear camera is noticeably blurry. I don't know if there's some kind of crud on the inside of the lens or if it's somehow lost focus. Neither seems very believable, but something isn't right.

5. supratachophobia

Please don't quote me on this, but I think we have the following:
    Rev A - 2012 to sometime in 2014
    Rev B - 2014 to sometime shortly after 2016 refresh
    Rev C - 2016 APv2 suite to current (part number: 1061269-00- 1 C)

A and B are virtually identical, Rev C is noticeably bulgy. A and B are absolutely different resolutions. There are claims that B and C are the same resolution on the 17" screen (I don't fully believe as others have said there is a slightly sharper picture on C, plus the possibility of less rain drops sticking due to the shape). All are plug in play, however, Rev C is less tolerant of extended video cables apparently (for use with second camera switch and trailer projects).

6. dpodoll

dpodoll Member

Looks like they put a c model in to fix it...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Corrections: Camera - Rear Facing
    Verified rear view imagery is blurry.
    Inspected and found pixel has poor quality due to internal defect of camera.
    Removed camera assembly and replaced with a known good unit. Rechecked operation and found pixel quality is the same.
    Removed and installed an upgraded camera. Refreshed camera, rechecked operation and picture quality is clear.
    Normal operation has been restored.
    Part Quantity
    BACKUP CAMERA (SEMCO) (1061269-00C)
    liftgate applique (1026649-00-D) 1 APPLIQUE TAPE, 5X90MM (1020987-00-A) 2 APPLIQUE TAPE, 12X55MM (1020988-00-A) 4

7. doubleohwhat

Well, it seems I could have either Rev B or Rev C. My car is a 9/16 build. I've attached a photo if that helps. The reason I'm curious is because the camera hasn't been super clear since day 1. If there's a newer version they could pop in then I may ask about it at the one year service appointment.

Attached Files:

8. dpodoll

dpodoll Member

Yours looks like the one I have now. I'd bring it up with the SC. My new one is incredibly sharp (like 4K tv)

9. supratachophobia

I believe you have the B revision. The C revision looks a bit like a mushroom shape.

10. doubleohwhat

Thanks all. I'll mention the blurry camera camera when I take it in for the annual service next month.