Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS Failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my mid range Model 3 for 2 years and 1 day. Today I was driving to get dinner, and I was stopped at a red light. The light turned green, and my car made it about 10 feet before it started lurching band making a loud clunking noise. I got out of the intersection and pulled over to the right side of the road immediately.

I got not one, but 3 error messages. I rebooted the car while calling Tesla for roadside assistance. I told them I rebooted the car and they had me do it again anyways. When that didn’t clear the error, they sent out a tow truck. Dispatch called me and the were very unorganized, they ended up calling me back about 5 times getting the same information.

While I was waiting for the tow, I continued to troubleshoot my car. I couldn’t even shift into neutral, and the first time I put it into tow mode nothing happened. I kept fiddling with it and eventually got tow mode to kick in (verified by rolling my car).

The exterior and interior lights worked, touch screen worked, windows worked and the sound system mostly worked. Connectivity to my phone was real spotty, and normal the Bluetooth connection is rock solid. As for what didn’t work - climate control, seat heaters, and couldn’t shift out of park - drive, reverse or neutral.

This made me think the 12v system was still running but the high voltage system was down. I checked my wheels and underneath my car and there was no signs of damages. Dropped my car off at the service center, so hopefully they will figure it out tomorrow.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Attachments

• 8CC07137-E020-4DAC-8208-554C3200CB57.jpeg
    8CC07137-E020-4DAC-8208-554C3200CB57.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 252
  • DB8BF8F9-4FFF-4D9D-89A7-E1FEBD17C0B5.png
    DB8BF8F9-4FFF-4D9D-89A7-E1FEBD17C0B5.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 141
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and Phlier
Sounds like the DC2DC converter or contactors.
Agreed.

But the clunking noise and lurching... not sure.
Could be a cascade failure... An inverter failure may have caused the DC to DC converter to fail. A failing inverter could definitely cause lurching, although depending on failure mode, a failing DC to DC converter could do it, too.

Really sorry this happened to you, @afawcett , let us know what happens?