Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS Problem, Car will not start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could this be a bad 12V or is it likely covered under the 8 year warranty? I am considering if I should replace the 12V on my own or take it into Tesla service. They have offered to take the car and issue me a loaner.

2015 P85D with 112k miles

Car would not present handles today. Frunk and trunk would unlock so I jumped the car. I got the car running over some time, said power would be reduced and service was required. At times it said car will not start and car may not restart. Eventually I was able to get the car running.

Once the MCU got up and running again, I had the following notifications: BMS_u008, BMS_w172_SW_Drive_Iso, GTW_w017 / w018 / w157.

Yesterday was the first time I say the caution "Car may not restart" with a notification of BMS_w035_SW. We were pulling into Costco parking lot so stopped and researched. I was able to drive the car home with the caution asserting intermittently, usually at lower speed driving. When on the highway it seemed to be non-existent.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I took the car in to Tesla service today and received a loaner. Fingers crossed this is covered by the drive unit / battery warranty.

The car drove in fine but with limited acceleration and performance, and the regenerative braking did not work. I can't believe how this car coasts without regen braking...!

• Informative
Reactions: Tam