Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS_a035 error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was idling in a parking lot and the warning triangle appeared with a BMS_a035 error. Drove home, battery started to make popping sounds as if it was supercharging, said it could not sustain the load so was shutting off unnecessary things, and several other errors appeared then disappeared quickly before I could get a picture (though guessing they logged). Checked the energy consumption screen and there was a period when it was well in excess of 900 Wh/mi (attached) valid at the time I was idling in that lot, then returned to normal. Scheduled a service appointment but first one was Oct 1. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Attachments

• FB278171-9880-4A3C-ABC1-BC7761FFB2EF.jpeg
    FB278171-9880-4A3C-ABC1-BC7761FFB2EF.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 214
I might call Tesla directly to see if they can look into the issue and/or bump up your appointment. If you're observations are valid, this sounds serious and could impact the safety/usability of the vehicle. I assume your AC still works, no noticeable change in performance or anything else? The power would have gone somewhere. It's odd it wasn't enough to break the pyro fuse, though.

It's odd it wasn't enough to break the pyro fuse, though.
Between the two motors, a launch on a dual motor 3 should take around 335,000 watts continuously for around 11 seconds, so 900w(or even a hundred times that) shouldn't have caused the pyro fuse to fire.

We don't actually know how high the peak was on OP's graph. I imagine the graph is either hardcoded in that mode to show 900 as the highest value(shame on you UI engineers!) or its using some algorithm so it puts >most< of the graph in the readable zone and is happy to clip the peaks(and possibly valleys, although that seems unlikely)

Reactions: eigenv1
Was idling in a parking lot and the warning triangle appeared with a BMS_a035 error. Drove home, battery started to make popping sounds as if it was supercharging, said it could not sustain the load so was shutting off unnecessary things, and several other errors appeared then disappeared quickly before I could get a picture (though guessing they logged).
Follow up: Tesla diagnosed the problem as a faulty rear inverter. Part on order.

Yup, I just got the same fix for the same error.
In my case, the BMS_a035 error popped up as we were rolling away from a 250kw SC session (20->94%).
Called roadside, they said they should tow the car to the nearest Service Center. As we were on a road trip hundreds of miles from home with luggage, I decided to at least try and get within range of say a taxi ride from home (so we would not have to go the the service location to get a loaner to then go home).
So I milked it a bit, and we got to a Supercharger near San Jose (I picked a 72kW one in case lower charge rate helped). We would only need a short charge, and if that failed a Service Center would be close, or we could just get on Cal Train or a cab to get home in SF.
It took us a few tries to initiate the charging session (I never left my seat for fear of letting the car shut down), and we got the same "could not sustain the load / shutting off unnecessary things" error before it eventually succeeded. Charged up, and drove home.

Called roadside from home, then decided to just deal with the Service Center directly, and all is well now:

1639007453326.png

Reactions: eigenv1
My 2018 Stealth M3 had this same error pop up a couple times in the last week, but was always drivable. It has been in service since Tuesday, and apparently they are replacing the inverter and potentially the DU (if needed).
Mine is 2018 stealth too. Tesla service was great about the service, provided a loaner RWD Model 3 during the work and I’ve had no problem since the inverter replacement. Everything covered under warranty.

I got this error after accelerating on the highway after passing a construction zone. I was unable to shift into drive after stopping.
Quick reboot with the thumbwheels fixed the problem, but I took it to a service center nonetheless.
According to them, the "motor is done for" and the entire rear drive train will be replaced.
2021 SR+ M3

I got this error after accelerating on the highway after passing a construction zone. I was unable to shift into drive after stopping.
Quick reboot with the thumbwheels fixed the problem, but I took it to a service center nonetheless.
According to them, the "motor is done for" and the entire rear power train will be replaced (ASY, P-Train, RMN).
2021 SR+ M3