Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW’s new key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

03DSG

Apr 5, 2016
Ontario
Well, they did buy a Model 3 to tear apart........

A879A1E6-7CD6-4E93-B496-6AD11A9E6473.jpeg

61F51CA0-20E4-4A0E-9BF0-581965EA76D3.jpeg

465D2ED6-2836-4626-8F31-17CE8B4D6D6A.jpeg

Yes, we should have no doubt where Tesla leads others will follow. Just like with Apple with the iPhone. And everyone of them will want to promote their "feature" like it's the first out there. Everyone will have skateboard batteries, larger computer controlled screens, OTA updates, key cards, and I suspect games on their screen, etc. I suspect many of them are so far behind in designing a decent EV that they will simply copy a lot or try to to some degree. Gee it's not like Tesla just came up with their designs overnight.

One USB connector right near where the coffee/drink cups go. Not so sure that is smart. Does it only have one usb? Also the cupholders look like cheap plastic to me.

Reactions: WilliamG
Yes, we should have no doubt where Tesla leads others will follow. Just like with Apple with the iPhone. And everyone of them will want to promote their "feature" like it's the first out there.

One USB connector right near where the coffee/drink cups go. Not so sure that is smart. Does it only have one usb? Also the cupholders look like cheap plastic to me but me.

That USB location is beyond idiotic.

Lol wow that's interesting! Thanks for sharing. Does BMW have a mobile app as well to control the car like (Unlock/Lock, Autostart, Climate etc)
They do have the option to use your phone as a key for the new 3 series, but in my opinion it is poorly executed. It uses NFC rather than Bluetooth, only works on Android, and you have to physically hold your phone next to the B pillar to unlock.

Well, they did buy a Model 3 to tear apart........

What bimmer is that?
What's the source of the pics?

Does BMW have a mobile app as well to control the car like (Unlock/Lock, Autostart, Climate etc)

Yeah, BMW and GM have been the leaders in vehicle Telematics since late 90s.
I forgot which one was the first to launch vehicle integration with wireless connectivity in the US, but it was close between the two.

BMW has had multiple (too many) apps controlling everything in and about their cars from at least 2009 (when I first downloaded mine), if not sooner. They work well.

They have many things way better... except for a a fast, somewhat affordable EV and autopilot. Although I've heard that BMW's pro pilot assist or what's called, is pretty smart...

BMW has been able to buy ~2.5 out of 4 keep Auto-Pilot ingredients:
  1. Active (aka Traffic Aware) Cruise Control - works really well since early ~2012
  2. Forward Collision Avoidance/Emergency Braking - works better than Tesla's, with fewer false alerts. Still annoying.
  3. Autopark - works OK for parallel parking since ~2014, not so well for perpendicular parking.
  4. Autosteer - works as well as Intel/MobilEye sensors allow it to, which is to say, not so great. Decent on a well marked highway, but fails and disengages far too often.

I went to an ///M-tour event the other day, and even the latest-greatest fully-loaded M850i can't auto-steer properly half the time.

a

I’m going to beg to differ that the BMW Connected Drive app “works well”. I’ve had a 2014 and now 2017 i3 and the app is one of the worst things about the car. It is slow as molasses to send commands and it fails probably 30% of the time.

Check out the App Store reviews sometime on Connected Drive for a good laugh at how far behind BMW is in this area. The Chevy app is far more reliable and the Tesla app is lightyears better than both in reliability and responsiveness from the car. I’ve leased a 2017 and a 2015 Chevy at one point so I’m very familiar with all 3 brands.

My Connected Drive app has been failing to activate climate control for 2 months straight. After trying to figure it out through forums and troubleshooting I finally called BMW support and they said they had known server issues for months and they have no ETA on a resolution! They also will not inform any customers A) there’s a problem or B) when it’s fixed. They suggested I could call back some random time in the future and maybe they’d have more info. How’s that for luxury?

BMW is so stuck in the ICE world that app doesn’t even display a remaining time when the car is charging. After it takes it’s sweet time to refresh for 30-60 seconds, it shows a plug and that’s it. They are completely lost in the woods when it comes to software, at least for EVs.

Not that I’m bitter about it.:p

Last edited:
I’m going to beg to differ that the BMW Connected Drive app “works well”. I’ve had a 2014 and now 2017 i3 and the app is one of the worst things about the car. It is slow as molasses to send commands and it fails probably 30% of the time.

Check out the App Store reviews sometime on Connected Drive for a good laugh at how far behind BMW is in this area. The Chevy app is far more reliable and the Tesla app is lightyears better than both in reliability and responsiveness from the car. I’ve leased a 2017 and a 2015 Chevy at one point so I’m very familiar with all 3 brands.

My Connected Drive app has been failing to activate climate control for 2 months straight. After trying to figure it out through forums and troubleshooting I finally called BMW support and they said they had known a server issues for months and they have no ETA on a resolution! How’s that for luxury.

Honestly, a lot of people complain about Tesla this and Tesla that, without realizing that pretty much every other car has pretty much the same issues.

Take the paint, for example. You’d think, based on reading these forums that Tesla paint is the worst. It’s REALLY not. I was literally just watching a YouTube video today where they addressed this. The Model 3 had a roughly 115 micrometer thickness of paint, which compares extremely favorably with many brands, and is actually even better than some - e.g. Porsche.

Now, don’t get me wrong, - some of the rocker panels really probably should have come with PPF from the factory. I had a late-year 2008 Subaru STI, and midway through that model year they added PPF to the rear doors because of the paint being sandblasted by the front wheels kicking up crap.

Anyway, it’s easy to complain about Tesla because that’s what most of us drive here, but the grass is far from greener with other companies.

Reactions: StealthP3D
While there was a lot of negative comments about Tesla saying they were going to offer insurance for Teslas, apparently Porsche didn’t think it was a bad idea. Saw this article in Teslarati the other day: Porsche announces Taycan insurance to make US owners' transition to EVs easier

I saw that article as well.
Impressive work by VW/Porsche.
I also like how they handled the announcement.

Porsche not only pulled off an insurance partnership arrangement, but did so without bragging. No pre-announcements, no hype, no GPS snooping of the cars and drivers. They did their homework, and then released the product.

Mic drop.

Reactions: alcibiades