TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BMW 7-series self parking

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 30seconds, Apr 17, 2015.

1. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Ya, the plus with Tesla is that as long as you have the hardware on your vehicle, you can always get new features as they release them. So even if they don't beat them to market, they can flip a switch and be on feature-parity.

3. invisik

invisik Member

Tesla's software upgrading is definitely the best. I imagine BMW could enhance their cars by bringing it to their dealer and they can manually update it.

But yes hopefully Tesla will get more autopilot features quickly.

-m

4. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

"So our initial question has been answered and, yes, Mercedes and Audi have good reason to be concerned."

But Tesla doesn't!

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Didn't Lexus have this like 100 years ago? lol

6. Spidy

Spidy Member

Pretty big if considering most Tesla owners don't have the hardware.

7. deonb

deonb Active Member

How many existing 7-series owners have the hardware for this?

8. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

It won't be that way for long. If Tesla meets their sales goals for this year we'll have a majority with autopilot hardware by the end of the year.

9. Just a Reader

Just a Reader Member

Really? Which Lexus parks itself with no driver being in the driver's seat? Please enlighten us.

Tesla's software updates are certainly nifty but they also seem to encourage the bad habits of the "tech" industry: ship half-ready products with many promises to customers to show strong sales figures to the analysts, then start to deliver the promised functionalities (or something close enough to it) via software updates later.

10. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

but this is the best outcome for the buyers, imagine if they waited till every functionality was ready - that would mean that Model S delivered even today wouldn't have autopilot gear and would never have the opportunity to ever receive the functionality.

I love the Tesla model.

11. DonL

DonL Member

Self Parking

I bought the first Lexus LS430 that offered self-parking. You had to position the car very precisely in the "ready" position adjacent to the parking space and then futz with some outlines on the screen to get the thing to park itself--and even then you had to keep your foot on the brake to keep the speed down to a creep. It was a pain and lots easier and faster to just park it yourself.

The ONLY times I ever used the feature was if someone asked to see it in action.

12. robby

robby Member

Has Tesla given any indication of whether the auto parking on private property will work for assigned parking spaces?

13. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

There had to be a driver present, but Lexus had automatic parallel parking many, many years ago. That's all I was saying. Lexus was way ahead at the time, but they stopped innovating. No need to get snarky.

14. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Recent Fords (2013+), like the Fusion, have Automatic Parallel Parking that works well. You just drive along a row of cars. The instant you pass a space big enough, it tells you. You put the car in reverse, remove your hands from the wheel, and just use the break to control the speed while the car does its thing. It works perfectly with no special lining up, no outlines on a screen. I'd like to think Tesla will be able to do equal or better than a two year old Ford.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

It also migrated to the US Gen 3 Prius, available in the 2010-2011 model years. But, when Toyota redid the trim levels w/MY 2012, it went away as a choice, completely.

(Video) I give you a rundown of all the cool things the Intelligent Park Assist can do. | PriusChat had a relatively short video demo of all its modes.

IIRC, it was also available on some later model year Gen 2 Priuses (04-09 model year) OUTSIDE the US. I'd seen demos videos that were in JDM Gen 2 Priuses. At the time, Toyota seemed apprehensive about bringing such a feature to the US due to litigation concerns. I think they might've even said they'd never bring it to any US cars.

16. Just a Reader

Just a Reader Member

Not only had the driver to be present, he also had to operate the brake. It was something completely different and not really ahead of the time. You could get it in Volkswagens as long ago as 2007. So what was the point of your original comment?

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I'm unaware of any VWs in the US that had it in 07 (or earlier).

From Intelligent Parking Assist System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that links to BBC NEWS | Technology | Self-parking car hits the shops
    and CNN.com - Toyota unveils car that parks itself - Sep. 1, 2003, it looks like first became available in Japan on the Prius in 2003.

18. Just a Reader

Just a Reader Member

Don't know if it was available in the US. You could get it in German VWs back then.

19. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

as long as tesla isnt too stingy with the CPU power to allow for future cpu heavy patches and software updates, tesla will just patch it into cars. *yawn*

edit: btw bmw had selfparking for ages, my parents 5 series from ?2006 definetly has it but you have to still hit the gas pedal yourself I think.