Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW and Nissan currently building USA 120 50kW DC Fast chargers that work all EV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The great majority of the Tesla Destination Chargers that I have visited (all in California or Nevada) were limited to 40 Amps, so a second charger in a Model S would not have increased the charging speed. With Tesla de-emphasizing dual chargers by no longer making them a factory option, I suspect we won't see many new Tesla Destination Chargers be 80 Amp powered. Depending on the electricity situation at the host location, it can be much more expensive to install a 100 Amp circuit than a 50 Amp circuit.

The great majority of the Tesla Destination Chargers that I have visited (all in California or Nevada) were limited to 40 Amps, so a second charger in a Model S would not have increased the charging speed. With Tesla de-emphasizing dual chargers by no longer making them a factory option, I suspect we won't see many new Tesla Destination Chargers be 80 Amp powered. Depending on the electricity situation at the host location, it can be much more expensive to install a 100 Amp circuit than a 50 Amp circuit.

Well, on my recent 7,200 mile roadtrip I visited about 12 different Tesla Destination chargers (none in California). And about 80% of them provided 80A of power. We stayed in two different hotels on the Las Vegas Strip and both of them had 80A HPWCs in their valet lot. That may change in the future as vendors may opt for (4) HPWCs @ 40A vs (2) HPWCS @ 80A. But it sure is nice to pick up 55 miles of range while having a 1 hour lunch at a nice hotel restaurant while on a road trip, particularly if no Supercharger is nearby.

It may not be a big deal if you don't take road trips outside California. But I soon realized that once you leave the interstate (on a road trip), your charging options are mainly Level 2 public charging at 18 miles per hour (if available) or HPWCs at 26 to 52 miles per hour. For overnight charging it may not matter, but for daytime charging, there is a huge difference. This assumes you don't have the expensive chademo adapter. There is also an emergency charging option I didn't mention. It's 40A charging at RV parks (26 miles per hour). I never had to use one.

Last edited: