Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW and Tesla converse about share Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put the news translate with Google translate from german blog:

BMW and Tesla examine cooperation

BMW and Tesla jointly discuss how the development of electric mobility can be promoted. She sounded out of a possible collaboration between the Bavarian premium automaker and California electric pioneer.
"We can confirm that BMW Group executives met on Wednesday with Tesla managers," said a spokesman for BMW Group in relation to the trade newspaper production. "Both companies see the success of electric mobility strongly committed. They discussed how to strengthen the development of electric mobility on an international level on. "
According to American media let Tesla Boss Musk hinted that it was a powerful charging stations for the batteries of electric vehicles in particular. Thus, the driver of the BMW electric cars Tesla could use charging stations to fill the batteries of their cars again with electrical energy. So far, Tesla Supercharger are not compatible with the connections of almost any other manufacturer. Also the possibility of deeper cooperation was discussed.
Tesla had already communicated to disclose its patents to other car makers. Whether foray Musks brings a breakthrough in battery technology, however, is open. Because the patents of the Panasonic Group, the sole producer should be in the planned Tesla battery factory, are left out.
Back in January, Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche be announced that his company was open to a deeper partnership with the U.S. company. Tesla already provides electric motors and batteries for the electric version of the Mercedes B-Class. The Stuttgart involved with 4.3 percent stake in the U.S. company.
The release of the e-car-manufacturer of technologies could help the electric car out of its niche, according to industry expert Ferdinand Dudenhöffer. "The system electric car gets thereby a strong push," the chief of the Center for Automotive Research (CAR) at the University of Duisburg-Essen, said Friday the dpa.
To allow competitors to exploit the technology for free, is a great step forward for the industry emphasized Dudenhöffer. Of which could also benefit Tesla founder Elon Musk. "Other manufacturers have no chance to make the technology are left."
The electric pioneer in Silicon Valley has set a medium-term goal to produce 500,000 vehicles annually. In addition, to be further reduced by the construction of a large battery factory production costs.

BMW und Tesla prüfen Zusammenarbeit

But what if Superchargers become an industry standard and there are a lot more of them?

This. When the bigger fish jump onboard, there'd be many more SCs which will help everyone. That's part of Musk's vision.

Beyond Tesla, I see BMW as the one company willing to take risks and innovate so, if this pans out as Elon hopes, it'd be a great future for high-perf, desirable EVs.

I would think/hope that any discussion around sharing the supercharger network with another manufacturer would also include a discussion around the other manufacturer also contributing. Having other vehicles charging at Tesla stations doesn't cause any negative impact if the same number of Teslas are charging at non-Tesla stations.

I'm all for sharing technology but not the Tesla supercharging network. As I have said before I do not want to wait in line while non Tesla's charge. If they want to use the technology and build out there own network that's fine.

Why must we think only of ourselves and then think the worse? Why can't Tesla share the Supercharging Network by having another company (let's use BMW) build in partnership AND share in partnership. That means you could use the superchargers built by Tesla AND the superchargers built by BMW, as could purchasers of a BWM supercharger compatible vehicle. How is that not a win-win? Tesla has already stipulated that those joining them would have to agree to the same terms, as in offering them for free to customers.

The truth of the matter is that Tesla can not do this alone in a reasonable time frame. They need help, unless you want to be dead before seeing it come to fruition. Tesla has never been about doing it all by themselves, ever. It's going to take the effort of many more than just Tesla to see the final outcome. Tesla is the tank leading the way, but it's going to take an army.

Why must we think only of ourselves and then think the worse? Why can't Tesla share the Supercharging Network by having another company (let's use BMW) build in partnership AND share in partnership. That means you could use the superchargers built by Tesla AND the superchargers built by BMW, as could purchasers of a BWM supercharger compatible vehicle. How is that not a win-win? Tesla has already stipulated that those joining them would have to agree to the same terms, as in offering them for free to customers.

The truth of the matter is that Tesla can not do this alone in a reasonable time frame. They need help, unless you want to be dead before seeing it come to fruition. Tesla has never been about doing it all by themselves, ever. It's going to take the effort of many more than just Tesla to see the final outcome. Tesla is the tank leading the way, but it's going to take an army.

+1, AND, visualize those banks of superchargers being 2 or 3 times as large (as well as 2 or 3 times as many) with multiple marques on them, instead of a few tucked in a small corner of a lot... will increase recognition and confidence among consumers that this is a REAL thing. Probably will decrease incidence of charging spots being ICE'd up. Right now, a supercharger bank (as well as a MS) is still a curiosity for most people. With BMW on them as well, it's more than 2x the impact. I'm hoping it will happen.

Well, part of the reason I purchased a Tesla was the ability to go anywhere with an all electric vehicle. I understand what you are saying and as I said like the idea of looking to the future and promoting EV's. If this sharing helps the adoption of EV's that's great, but just wondering if there will be enough superchargers out there to handle the additional vehicles that get produced down the road. Silly me for spending $100k and still wanting to be able to access the superchargers in a timely manner.

I agree that it's a very positive thing! Out of all car manufacturers I see BMW the most committed. They didn't just take an existing car and fit batteries in, they spend a fortune on developing a carbon fiber body ready for mass production which no other manufacturer has been able to do. The i3 obviously won't be using Superchargers as it's range is too low, but if BMW helps building the Supercharger network and later comes out with their own long range EV, that's awesome. More Superchargers in more locations.

The other very positive side I see is the fact that Superchargers are free to use. That is extremely important as it is a massive pushback to all the other charging networks that want to cash in by having ridiculous prices as we see right now.

Well, part of the reason I purchased a Tesla was the ability to go anywhere with an all electric vehicle. I understand what you are saying and as I said like the idea of looking to the future and promoting EV's. If this sharing helps the adoption of EV's that's great, but just wondering if there will be enough superchargers out there to handle the additional vehicles that get produced down the road. Silly me for spending $100k and still wanting to be able to access the superchargers in a timely manner.

Elon Musk has made it clear it's pay/build to play. I shouldn't be concerned because I also believe they would set minimum standards to ensure there are no contention problems.

You can think of it this way. Imagine BMW was not involved at all. By the time Gen 3 comes out, there will still be $40k cars accessing those superchargers. The only difference will be the badge on it.

In either situation, Tesla will expand the number of stations and stalls according to demand.

Let's be clear: there is going to be contention with or without BMW. We'll all look back on the days of empty superchargers sites and "just stop by" service appointments (already way gone). I don't think MS sales have peaked, and add to that same amount (or more) of Model X starting next year, plus whatever is after that. Better chance of reducing contention with more marques.

I would think/hope that any discussion around sharing the supercharger network with another manufacturer would also include a discussion around the other manufacturer also contributing. Having other vehicles charging at Tesla stations doesn't cause any negative impact if the same number of Teslas are charging at non-Tesla stations.

Elon has stated publicly multiple times that Tesla would welcome other car companies building EVs that are compatible with the Supercharger network as long as those companies contributed financially, in a proportional manner, towards expanding the network as their EVs go on sale.

I have no concerns about other EVs using Superchargers under the terms that Elon had laid out. It's a win/win for everyone.

You can think of it this way. Imagine BMW was not involved at all. By the time Gen 3 comes out, there will still be $40k cars accessing those superchargers. The only difference will be the badge on it.

In either situation, Tesla will expand the number of stations and stalls according to demand.
Yes, I agree I will keep a positive attitude and hope that who ever it is will come on board and expand the SC network. If at some point in the future the battery technology changes and I think it will we could have a 500+mile battery then it will not be as big a deal.

Silly me for spending $100k and still wanting to be able to access the superchargers in a timely manner.
I'm always surprised by such knee-jerk reaction. The whole idea of Tesla is that there will be lot more cars & lot more chargers. Otherwise Tesla as a company can't survive.

It is also not as if BMW is rolling out a long range EV next month. We are talking about may be 3 to 5 years down the road - by which time you may have to wait in line behind a $35k Gen 3. That $100k got you a nice car - not reserved your spot at all superchargers for eternity.

Tesla can not survive as a boutique company.

Selling 60k Model S and 60k Model X annually around the globe.

Eventually, at some point it would be crushed by industry economies of scale.

It needs to scale up as quickly as possible.

A network of superchargers that fully covers the USA servicing a handful of $70k-130k cars is not viable long term.

We (American and the World) need millions of vehicles being serviced by the global supercharging network.

I've to say Nissan is investing a lot more on EVs than BMW. Afterall their carbon fiber can be (and will be) used for ICE.
Yes, Nissan deserves more credit if you are talking about BEVs. BMW's efforts also include other plug-ins (like i8 and i3 REx). However, BMW still deserves more credit on their commitment to BEVs than a vast majority of automakers (I put them behind Mitsubishi and Renault).

However, given Nissan's focus on CHAdeMO (and having their own custom battery JV), I don't see them signing up for this scheme.