Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW and Tesla converse about share Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think/hope that any discussion around sharing the supercharger network with another manufacturer would also include a discussion around the other manufacturer also contributing. Having other vehicles charging at Tesla stations doesn't cause any negative impact if the same number of Teslas are charging at non-Tesla stations.

This should be easy to do. Make a contract where for X vehicles you sell with Supercharger(tm) plug, you have to either pay Tesla, or install your own chargers. EZ, and everybody wins.

I think if you have a Tesla don't worry about to busy Superchargers because if more people pay for that, would be there more Superchargers in new places or more spots in current Superchargers.

The BMW's cars in USA had a J1772 and Combo socket, now would have another socket? They need a new place in a car. But in Europe, Superchargers use Mennekes socket, like almost european electric cars and it's easier because you can buy a, for example, a Renault Zoe with Mennekes socket and in opcion a Zoe with Teslas specification Mennekes with no more changes in the car. Or a BMW i3 with a simple Mennekes, or for more money CCS Combo, or for more money the Tesla's Mennekes, and all in same spot in car with no modification.

Last edited:
Silly me for spending $100k and still wanting to be able to access the superchargers in a timely manner.

No, what's silly is thinking up the worse possible outcome and embracing it as a reality.

What's more likely to happen, as has been demonstrated throughout human history, that as demand increases for Supercharging Stations, Tesla on their own or in combination with others will simply build more to accommodate the demand. Kind of like how Tesla has already added additional charging banks at current Supercharger locations that see heavier volume. :wink:

No, what's silly is thinking up the worse possible outcome and embracing it as a reality.

What's more likely to happen, as has been demonstrated throughout human history, that as demand increases for Supercharging Stations, Tesla on their own or in combination with others will simply build more to accommodate the demand. Kind of like how Tesla has already added additional charging banks at current Supercharger locations that see heavier volume. :wink:

Exactly. Instead of thinking of this as competition, embrace the theory of abundance. As more and more car manufacturers adopt supercharger technology, you'll start to find superchargers on every corner.

Kind of like gas stations.

It's hard to stamp out feelings of and indications of exclusivity that keep popping up...if they're dampened in this thread, they show up in others. That's a darned shame. It would be terrific if people - Tesla owners especially!!!! - followed Mr Musk's lead and embraced inclusivity.

I am not talking about singing kumbaya here. Please think about it: the more manufacturers and the more #s of vehicles out there that are able to and are in fact making use of Superchargers, then absolutely, of course, ZERO QUESTIONS asked there will be a commensurate increase in the numbers of and in the locations of Superchargers.

Which is EXACTLY what we all want!

Bring 'em on!

Why must we think only of ourselves and then think the worse? Why can't Tesla share the Supercharging Network by having another company (let's use BMW) build in partnership AND share in partnership. That means you could use the superchargers built by Tesla AND the superchargers built by BMW, as could purchasers of a BWM supercharger compatible vehicle. How is that not a win-win? Tesla has already stipulated that those joining them would have to agree to the same terms, as in offering them for free to customers.

The truth of the matter is that Tesla can not do this alone in a reasonable time frame. They need help, unless you want to be dead before seeing it come to fruition. Tesla has never been about doing it all by themselves, ever. It's going to take the effort of many more than just Tesla to see the final outcome. Tesla is the tank leading the way, but it's going to take an army.

... with every enthusiastic Tesla owner it will spread and create more enthusiastic Tesla owners, so it won't take that long for an entire Tesla army to build up ^ ^

Please think about it: the more manufacturers and the more #s of vehicles out there that are able to and are in fact making use of Superchargers, then absolutely, of course, ZERO QUESTIONS asked there will be a commensurate increase in the numbers of and in the locations of Superchargers.
Including, hopefully, in more remote locations such as along the Alaska Highway someday. I'd like to see this as well. ;-)

It seems to me that if Elon Musk really wants to increase the pace of EV adoption he should somehow share what's happening on the gigafactory side of things. If other big car manufacturors will start making supercharging capable cars on a big scale that one gigafactory will soon run out of battery packs. To create 80 million cars a year you'd probably need 160 gigafactories?

Why would BMW want to use the supercharger network if they don't even have the batteries to fuel their supercharging capable EVs?

I invested in Tesla because of the Secret Master Plan. I believe that a solar electric future is our best response to climate change. Applying a signal to noise filter......Does this advance the electrification of transportation? I believe that it does.

It seems to me that if Elon Musk really wants to increase the pace of EV adoption he should somehow share what's happening on the gigafactory side of things. If other big car manufacturors will start making supercharging capable cars on a big scale that one gigafactory will soon run out of battery packs. To create 80 million cars a year you'd probably need 160 gigafactories?

Why would BMW want to use the supercharger network if they don't even have the batteries to fuel their supercharging capable EVs?

BMW makes 20k car each month. They have aprox 100k employees and many factories globally. Tesla is great at marketing their 'giga factory' which makes it sound like they are doing something incredibly huge. It's planned to have 6.5k employees. Hardly 'giga' and very small compared to any major car manufacturer. BMW is 'small' compared to giants like Toyota. If any of the other large car companies need to produce a large number of batteries, they can and will easily. What is a huge investment and step for Tesla (building a large scale factory) is almost daily business for the big players. Partnering up with them on Superchargers is going to benefit all of us greatly. We need big players to step in. Then things will start moving in the right direction on a large scale. We need so many Superchargers that we don't have to think about where the next one is and if we can make it. They need to be as abundant as gas stations so that charging is once and for all not a worry any more.

It's planned to have 6.5k employees. Hardly 'giga' and very small compared to any major car manufacturer.
Just a clarification. The "giga" in gigafactory refers to the capacity of the factory: 35 Gigawatt Hours (GWh) per year in cells, 50GWh in packs. The entire world's battery industry produced 27GWh in 2012. So as a battery factory it's huge (there's very few battery factories that surpass the 1GWh/year mark).

Most factory size is not measured by employee count, but rather by production rate. A highly automated production line can have relatively few employees, but still produce more product.

If Tesla and BMW are able to work together, a better partner would be difficult to imagine. I love Tesla, but I'm a lot more interested in the development of the process of electrification for personal transportation than any one manufacturer.

My wife drives a BMW and will purchase an electric BMW when she sees one that is viable. We both see the i3 as "another ugly electric," while the i8 is too expensive and not all-electric.

Glad that BMW is getting on an electric pathway. Glad that a Tesla is already there and creating the model for electric transportation.

I'm all for sharing technology but not the Tesla supercharging network. As I have said before I do not want to wait in line while non Tesla's charge. If they want to use the technology and build out there own network that's fine.

This is the line of thinking that results in 50 different competing "standards" and a pain in the butt for consumers, resulting in adapters and converters for anything from electrical plugs to video formats.

No thanks. Standardization is good.

I can't see a partnership limiting availability of an open charging stall, much more likely that a partnership will increase options... I'm all for it. this move is brilliant, if for no other reason than PR. My FB news feed was suddenly abuzz with non-EV folks crowing about Tesla. The open source/creative commons concept is considered very hip and progressive, it's worth it's weight in gold from an advertising perspective.

The "principle of abundance" isn't just about Superchargers. The more, credible EVs there are on the road from more, well-known auto manufacturers, the more we will see all sorts of charging crop up -- not only Superchargers, but EV spots in parking garages, hotels, shopping malls, etc. Today, EVs seem to most people to be some odd, niche vehicle that is unlikely to stay in the market long. Why bother to install charging that will be made obsolete (they fear) in a few years? Getting good charging standards and lots of cars on the streets using these standards is critical for the long-run success of EVs.