TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BMW at Tesla Destination Charger

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NewTMSMan, Jul 10, 2018.

1. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

[​IMG]

Didn't realize they could charge an i3 at a Tesla destination charging station.

2. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

Its just an adapter. We occasionally use ours at two specific locations (We drive a Leaf and a Smart ED but are wannabes Tesla owners). One of the locations provides the adapter to the user. We have our own. I noticed a few locations on plug share that actually inform that the adapter is available at the front desk. Tesla EVSE’s are good quality. I can see this getting more common at private locations where the owner knows the clientele and trusts the client to return the adapter. Expensive things. Couple hundred bucks. Not sure it was worth it but it’s handy for us for a couple specific locations. Meh. It’s only money. :)

3. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

Yes I know it's an adapter, just didn't realize this was generally available. Turns out there is a company in Florida that makes these for many EVs (which I guess you already know).

4. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

I’m not specifically aware of a company in Florida. We bought ours from Tony’s company. Well made, works well. Solved a specific problem for a couple locations but we don’t use it a ton. Handy though.

Cheers.

5. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

Sorry I had it wrong from someone else, it is Tony's company - EV (Electric Vehicle) Charging Products

6. HustleSimmons

HustleSimmons Member

I thought the SCs did some sort of check to verify that only Teslas can connect except when Tesla was testing allowing non Tesla car makers to lease the ability to charge..

7. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

The adapter won’t work on a supercharger, only on an L1/L2 Tesla unit. Tesla’s AC signaling and pin config is basically J1772 in a different package .

• Like x 1
  8. HustleSimmons

HustleSimmons Member

Duh.. If I read the post title fully it does say "Destination" charger