Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW CEO says Model X only a prototype and hits his head on Falcon Wing Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X hits BMW in the head

Quite amusing to see the BMW CEO trying to frantically leave a Model X after realizing he has been spotted by a journalist.

http://electrek.co/2016/03/07/bmw-ceo-tesla-interview-model-x-hit-head/

Interesting how much in denial the Germans are about Tesla. The BMW CEO goes on to call the Model X a "prototype." And this is before he hits his head in his frantic efforts to be not spotted in a Tesla :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Ah. Two threads posted at the exact same time :)

SamePost.JPG

Harald Krueger (BMW CEO) fainted at the Frankfurt auto show in September 2015. He should really be more careful when attending auto shows.

BMW CEO faints on stage at Frankfurt auto show

In this case it's like the Model X is trying to knock some sense into him for calling the Model X a prototype :wink: It's like: "Did you feel that? I am real buddy and soon I'll be eating your X5/x6 lunch."

It's almost as if whenever BMW builds a truly good looking/modern car it is indeed a concept or prototype that they will never sell. He can't believe that another car manufacturer is actually selling a car that BMW would just call a concept.

In this case it's like the Model X is trying to knock some sense into him for calling the Model X a prototype :wink: It's like: "Did you feel that? I am real buddy and soon I'll be eating your X5/x6 lunch."

It's almost as if whenever BMW builds a truly good looking/modern car it is indeed a concept or prototype that they will never sell. He can't believe that another car manufacturer is actually selling a car that BMW would just call a concept.

Model X, S and 3 will soon really start to eat into BMW's sales. The 3 and 5 series are their most important products and the Model S and 3 will kill them.

I am very surprised with the reaction mr. Kruger. This is not just a random person, it is the CEO of a 53 billion dollar company.
- Why did he not study the car well? After all, in his official position as CEO, he took the effort of going over to Tesla and then run out again.
- Why was he so dismissive of the car? This car absolutely can't be a surprise for him.
- Where is the charisma to at least respond in a normal fashion when being filmed?

It looks like Model X and Tesla as a whole still is being under estimated. By the CEO of BMW?!

FWIW, when we test drove a P90DL this past weekend, my son, 11 yo, mentioned to me and the TM test drive person, as an i8 passed by, that mini cooper is making a car to look like the i8. We all died of laughter...

I am very surprised with the reaction mr. Kruger. This is not just a random person, it is the CEO of a 53 billion dollar company.
- Why did he not study the car well? After all, in his official position as CEO, he took the effort of going over to Tesla and then run out again.
- Why was he so dismissive of the car? This car absolutely can't be a surprise for him.
- Where is the charisma to at least respond in a normal fashion when being filmed?

It looks like Model X and Tesla as a whole still is being under estimated. By the CEO of BMW?!

I agree. Same will happen to A4/A6 and Mercedes C and E Class sales.

Unbelievable how none of them have anything to compete with Tesla for about another 2 years.

Exactly it will take them another two years to compete with the Model S introduced in 2012. By 2018 when most of these competitor vehicles will come to market, the Model S will be significantly better with a battery of maybe 110 kW/h? Certainly seems possible if 100 is on its way.
It will take them at least another 2-3 years to compete with Model 3...

Speaking as someone who's driven (briefly) the Model X -- it's no prototype. As for hitting his head, it's clear from the video that the door was only partially open; just compare with the door on the side of the camera.

Reminds me of Blackberry CEO when the iPhone started selling. See the following quotes:

Balsillie on the iPhone in February 2007: "It’s kind of one more entrant into an already very busy space with lots of choice for consumers ... But in terms of a sort of a sea-change for BlackBerry, I would think that’s overstating it."

Mike Lazaridis on the iPhone in November 2007: "Try typing a web key on a touchscreen on an Apple iPhone, that's a real challenge. You cannot see what you type"

In May 2008, Mike Lazaridis called QWERTY keyboards the most exciting trend in mobile

http://www.businessinsider.com/rim-ceo-quotes-2011-9?op=1

Has me wondering if Tesla competitors are really stupid, ignorant, or maybe some combination of both.

... unbuildable... :confused:

LOL. It's buildable all right, but it will generate a lot of costs for both in-factory QC and warrany (once delivered) - costs that Tesla certainly could do without until they become more profitable.

On the original topic - the established companies have such a huge investment (both $ and otherwise) it is natural for them to go into the stages of mourning (starting with shock and then denial) when something like Tesla comes along. Still, they have deep pockets, and some (probably not all) will work up a spirited response... Tesla needs to stay out ahead of them, because the bar always keeps getting set higher...

Last edited:
It is clear to me in that video that after the BMW guy hit the button to open the Falcon Wing so he could get out, someone standing outside the car by the front passenger door grabbed a corner of the door as it was opening and stopped it. It was a long way from being fully opened. The BMW guy didn't realize that, and as he exited quickly he hit his head on the forward lower corner of the door even though he was bending down. Obviously if the Falcon Wing had been fully open he could have easily exited without bending over at all, he was not very tall.
His comment that the X is "only a prototype" is just a bit of trash talk, but is factually inaccurate.

LOL. It's buildable all right, but it will generate a lot of costs for both in-factory QC and warrany (once delivered) - costs that Tesla certainly could do without until they become more profitable.

On the original topic - the established companies have such a huge investment (both $ and otherwise) it is natural for them to go into the stages of mourning (starting with shock and then denial) when something like Tesla comes along. Still, they have deep pockets, and some (probably not all) will work up a spirited response... Tesla needs to stay out ahead of them, because the bar always keeps getting set higher...

The falcon wing doors are no more complicated than the retractable hard tops of some convertibles. I think the Model X will turn out to be a great call by Tesla to build a vehicle that really has no competition. In time they will iron out any issues with the vehicle and by then there will be the Model X and everyone else.

The newer software allows for a half open position, and that can be the preset on the dash. Since the left falcon wing door opened fully, that was not the issue unless someone was opening the door from the touchscreen by pressing the half open button. The guy on the right was having difficulty with the pull switch, as my passengers also have difficulty if I haven't taught them.

I also demonstrate when a falcon wing door doesn't open fully, just pull and hold the door pillar switch to ignore sensors and raise the FWD to the full open position.

Since the Falcon Wing doors occasionally do not open fully, everyone must pay attention and look. It took a week for the pain to disappear from a FWD hit to my skull.

Tesla Motors has done a great job to show the position of the doors on the touchscreen. The driver can monitor that graphic and warn the passengers if necessary.

Last edited: