Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW CEO says Model X only a prototype and hits his head on Falcon Wing Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The falcon wing doors are no more complicated than the retractable hard tops of some convertibles. I think the Model X will turn out to be a great call by Tesla to build a vehicle that really has no competition. In time they will iron out any issues with the vehicle and by then there will be the Model X and everyone else.

This is the first time I heard this argument and it's the best I've heard too.

Sorta similar: tv show American Genius: Sarnoff v. Farnsworth

LOL. It's buildable all right, but it will generate a lot of costs for both in-factory QC and warrany (once delivered) - costs that Tesla certainly could do without until they become more profitable.

On the original topic - the established companies have such a huge investment (both $ and otherwise) it is natural for them to go into the stages of mourning (starting with shock and then denial) when something like Tesla comes along. Still, they have deep pockets, and some (probably not all) will work up a spirited response... Tesla needs to stay out ahead of them, because the bar always keeps getting set higher...

The falcon wing doors are no more complicated than the retractable hard tops of some convertibles. I think the Model X will turn out to be a great call by Tesla to build a vehicle that really has no competition. In time they will iron out any issues with the vehicle and by then there will be the Model X and everyone else.

Not disagreeing with you, but pointing out that a door conceivably gets opened and closed a lot more frequently than a convertible top. Yes? No? If yes, then we move into a territory of needing to stand up to significantly more cycles. That changes the discussion.

Agreed. I think the Falcon Wings are in fact much less complex and costly to build than powered convertible tops like on the current Porsche 911-series convertible. Now that Tesla has figured out how to manufacture them I expect to see them in the Model 3 CUV.
The fact that the base X70D is only $5K more expensive than a base S70D tells me that the Falcon Wings and the Panoramic windshield are not as costly as one would think.

Not disagreeing with you, but pointing out that a door conceivably gets opened and closed a lot more frequently than a convertible top. Yes? No? If yes, then we move into a territory of needing to stand up to significantly more cycles. That changes the discussion.

Something tells me they have tested the FWD operation thousands of time before release. And they will refine the mechanism even more in the coming months.

I offered the retractable hard top in convertibles as an example of a complex mechanism found in mainstream cars because some people are making the FWD mechanism to be some form of an exotic contraption.

I'd say the FWD mechanism is even less complicated than the retractable hard tops in some convertibles.

If whoever GM hires as engineers can build a hard top convertible, Tesla's engineers certainly should be able to build a reliable FWD mechanism :)

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I think the Falcon Wings are in fact much less complex and costly to build than powered convertible tops like on the current Porsche 911-series convertible. Now that Tesla has figured out how to manufacture them I expect to see them in the Model 3 CUV.
The fact that the base X70D is only $5K more expensive than a base S70D tells me that the Falcon Wings and the Panoramic windshield are not as costly as one would think.

Exactly. I agree completely.

I think the difference is that with a convertible you still have a side B and C pillar that don't move to which you can secure things like seatbelts and curtain airbags. In the X the middle curtain airbags are built into the seat and the seat itself supports the seatbelt. Those are the design challenges when building the safest SUV and choosing falcon doors.

Still, I LOVE the Falcon wing doors!

That said, for my primary use of the vehicle, I sure would have loved folding middle seats, or at least middle seats that could "spoon" the front seats as some speculated after seeing the initial models.

The door actually tries to open, but there's a woman in a white outfit that is blocking the door and it seems that's why it stops right after the button is pressed. I hope he didn't hit his head hard, he might just pass out again

I think the difference is that with a convertible you still have a side B and C pillar that don't move to which you can secure things like seatbelts and curtain airbags. In the X the middle curtain airbags are built into the seat and the seat itself supports the seatbelt. Those are the design challenges when building the safest SUV and choosing falcon doors.

Still, I LOVE the Falcon wing doors!

That said, for my primary use of the vehicle, I sure would have loved folding middle seats, or at least middle seats that could "spoon" the front seats as some speculated after seeing the initial models.

Perhaps in a future iteration you will get your wish :)

I still think some of the hard top convertible roofs execute a pretty intricate origami choreography to fold and store the roof in a small part of the trunk.

It seems BMW and the rest of the Germans are still in denial that Tesla got this to work and deployed this door mechanism in a somewhat mass market production car. The good thing here is Tesla will perfect this mechanism and they will make it more robust, reliable, and less expensive in time for the Model 3 CUV.

Cheap tactics instead of focusing on BEV R&D. They will pay dearly for their hybrid-as-an-aftertought cars.
Evolution involves extinctions too.

I hope they wake up though because their go-kart-like tuned suspensions and precise steering are legendary.

His comment that the X is "only a prototype" is just a bit of trash talk, but is factually inaccurate.
I'm not sure why people have such a hard time understanding this, but he never said that the Model X is some prototype concept car. He said THIS CAR IS A PROTOTYPE. You could sell a million cars of a Model and then show a prototype car of that Model then it's still nothing wrong with calling it what is is.

I'm not sure why people have such a hard time understanding this, but he never said that the Model X is some prototype concept car. He said THIS CAR IS A PROTOTYPE. You could sell a million cars of a Model and then show a prototype car of that Model then it's still nothing wrong with calling it what is is.

I sat in that selfsame car during the press days - it had nothing of a prototype to me. It couldn't have been either, what with the wringer it was put through by visitors to the Tesla booth. And yes, in German Mr. BMW's declaration came across as rather dismissive.

Don't kid yourself - he was trying to demean the brand.

As far as the door is concerned it should have green/red light indicator to tell you if there's something our of ordinary (such as door stopping earlier than expected).