Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW driver assistance features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And they also have wireless Apple CarPlay. All that's missing is the EV part :)

I've said this before but I believe Tesla's biggest competition will come from BMW in a few years as they seem to be innovating better than other ICE manufacturers. They already have the recognizable name, large following and tons of experience in the luxury market. I considered a 5 series before my MS purchase but never seriously.

Last edited:
BMW is innovating where Tesla is not. Once BMW has an EV with a compelling range and price point, I think Tesla will be in big trouble. Oh, and BMW properly develops and tests its features prior to release rather than use its customers as beta test guinea pigs while their cars plow into guard rails. I'm not the only one who thinks that Tesla is putting its owners in danger by pushing such crappy "safety" features that obviously have not been properly developed and tested prior to putting into customers' hands.

Last edited:
BMW is innovating where Tesla is not.

Tesla, like BMW has unreleased products and features. For me "Apples to Apples" means comparing what is released.

I do agree that BWM will do well once they do a pure, higher end EV. So will Audi and Porsche.

I hate that BMW made the i3. Setting that car next to BMW ICE models almost seems to be saying to the customer "See the goofy crap you get when you insist on EV? You want a real BMW, don't you?"

And they also have wireless Apple CarPlay. All that's missing is the EV part :)

I've said this before but I believe Tesla's biggest competition will come from BMW in a few years as they seem to be innovating better than other ICE manufacturers. They already have the recognizable name, large following and tons of experience in the luxury market. I considered a 5 series before my MS purchase but never seriously.

Audi is ahead of BMW both in electric and features that matter

Tesla, like BMW has unreleased products and features. For me "Apples to Apples" means comparing what is released.
I do agree that BWM will do well once they do a pure, higher end EV. So will Audi and Porsche.
I hate that BMW made the i3. Setting that car next to BMW ICE models almost seems to be saying to the customer "See the goofy crap you get when you insist on EV? You want a real BMW, don't you?"

I agree with the apples to apples comparison idea. And I think AP1 is currently the best auto driving technology on the road today. However, AP1 is no longer available and no longer Tesla's current offering.
The current offering of AP2 is worse than Audi and BMW's adaptive cruise control!
AP2's auto steer function is not useful yet, as it can't be used at high enough speeds. And when it can be used, it is so unreliable that it's more stressful and tiring that just steering manually.
TACC does not keep a constant following distance like the ICE counter parts. It sometimes tail gates even on settings of 6 and 7, where Audi and BMW are able to keep a much more stable following distance. With TACC, there is still a risk of unnecessary braking, although the seriousness of this problem seems to be reduced in the latest version.
Finally, AP2 does not have AEB. BMW and Audi do.
So Apples to Apples, I'd say current offerings in their current forms favors the German cars over Tesla.
That might change next week. But true apples to apples -

Last edited:
BMW is catching up to the Mercedes E-class, which has had DrivePilot for a couple of years now, with a feature set similar to AP1 on paper. Hyundai's Genesis G90 also has something very similar. Based on reviews, though, neither system is not even close to being as robust as AP1 (to be fair, nor is AP2). Cadillac also has a similar system (Super Cruise) coming out later this year.

So, yeah, AP1 has competition three years later. Shouldn't surprise anyone.

Reactions: croman
Honestly, I started this thread, but I don't believe BMW is super innovative. I have owned 3 BMWs, latest was a 2013 X5 and I hated how little innovation there was in the car. I didn't have over the air updates, a silly tine iDrive screen, the iDrive controller was just awful, the whole UI was dated. Plus had to go through terrible dealership experience while trading in my old car.