Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW EV sound, listen it here, what do you think ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the sensors, instead of all this fake sound mess would, it be a cool exercise for Tesla to add an option for a friendly exterior warning sound when pedestrians/objects are detected close to the car at slow speeds.

Of course this wouldn't pass by the regulators in charge... I'm imagining a meeting with a bunch of old men going "bah humbug, an electronic car again..."

I'm sure there will be some universally imposed sound after paying a 'friend of brussels' some millions to develop it. Sad, really, it'd be nice to have a carousel of options with an external speaker.. use the fart ap some days, or a dog barking, Alf Garnet soundbites, a ship's fog horn... endless possibilities. How about the car sounds from 'flubber'?

I like the suggestion to have it play a recording of "don't vote for ______ " listed names of every politician that supports these red flag laws trying to keep the past competitive with the future.

Horse clops are my second favorite suggestion, with steam locomotive sounds coming in third. Anything to underscore how backwards these laws are.

Reactions: tranzndance
Brings to mind those very annoying back up alarm buzzers that commercial vehicles blare out everytime they are put into reverse. While it certaintly has many safety benefits, they annoy the heck out of everyone around them.

While it would be helpful to the blind to be made aware of a moving vehicle around them, it also will disappoint the many that were looking forward to the day when Urban traffic noise would be less of an issue.

I thought regulators wanted the EVs to sound like ICE cars as it would be recognized by sight impaired and children. This would have to be emitted below a certain speed initially but yhen read they wanted it eventually extended full time.

I’m sure some manufacturers are looking for some symphonic sound thinking that’s cool but based in what I heard in the Tech Crunch video clip, not anything I’d care to hear. Right now I’m very happy with the general silence and little whirl.

O.K. I will see your horse clop and I raise you an F-35 WITH the option of full after burner coming off from a traffic light. Would be kind of fun in the parking lot taxing in..... I mean coming to a slow safe approach to the parking lot intersection in front of the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk.
May need to bump up to full volume to get the feel and mental picture. Is there space for a base unit in the frunk?

Last edited: