Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW G05 X5 to Tesla Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup ... but I also, occasionally, get it braking approaching to pass a big juggernaut. To my eye same colour, size, road position, sun angle, day-light strength :cool: as all the other juggernauts I have passed that day.
I've had it slow a bit if a lorry moves into the lane briefly, which I can kind of understand, but neither car has slammed on yet.
What it will do, almost without fail, is to try and steer into a specific barrier by a traffic light because for some bizarre reason it thinks thats the way the road is going. It's a very clearly marked road, but it must have some hidden easter egg code combination that triggers 'kill owner'. I literally have to wrestle with it to stay on the road every time I test it post OTA update. Doesn't do it in any other scenario.
I love going out on bins day. The dash visualisation shows every wheelie bin along the pavement as a "threat" :)
Makes me and the kids laugh at how terrified of cones it is! The AI must have had a really bad experience with a cone in a past life :)

I wonder if there is a setting? Although ... I can't think of one. I have this behaviour (on A-Road slow down from 60 for a 30, and speed back up when leaving the limit) on all the cars on my account (family members), MS, M3 and MY and with FSD, EAP and AP amongst those. Although I'm pretty sure I've read of others who have not had AP adapting to speed limits correctly (albeit a while ago) so there may be something that needs fiddling with.
I think it depends on the roads most trodden. On my daily commute it rarely works, but I had a comp in the North East at the weekend and it worked pretty well. There's a few youtubers like 'Jack Massey' and 'Tesla Driver' who have vlogged about it not working well and requiring a lot of manual intervention.

Short update now that I have taken delivery of the car (I picked up a cancelled order, but went from having the 20" induction to 19" gemini wheels). I've copied this over from a post I made over on bimmerpost...

Build Quality
After a minor software niggle on delivery, which to Tesla's credit was fixed quickly and remotely, I've been overall reasonably impressed with how the car has been screwed together and the quality of the materials. There are some harder plastics lower down, the carpets are a bit plasticky and the sunvisors feel pretty flimsy, but the seats are nice and supportive, the artificial leather soft and the major touchpoints (including the screen) feel of a high enough quality in a car of this price range. I would expect the G05 X5 to be better in this respect, and it undoubtedly is.

Interior space
The Model Y scores highly here. It's not as wide as the X5, and you notice that sitting side by side, but storage and occupant space is excellent for the footprint of the car. It's definitely bigger and more useable than the current gen X3 and easily big enough for us stepping out of the X5. It swallowed all the paraphernalia for an Easter weekend away with the kids with ease.

Driving & charging
It definitely feels faster than I remember from the test drive, possibly due to the test car being locked in a more sedate mode, and I don't think you'd want for more in a family wagon. The turn of pace from the EV drivetrain is obviously well documented and I can imagine the performance version being laugh out loud silly. The ride is firm (tyre pressures at 47psi so I do need to reduce) but I can't say there's much of a perceptible difference between the 19" and 20" wheel option that I test drove. Charging so far has been pretty painless, but I do think you need the option to charge at home even with a good range of c.270 miles driven in a non-range extending way.

Infotainment
I've got mixed views here. I expected to get irritated with lack of physical controls, but it's a non-issue and operating the car is intuitive. It's what I expected the car to come with as standard which I'm disappointed it doesn't have given the tech fest going on - reversing assistant, speed camera warnings, app integration are all things I believe the BMW does better, which surprised me. I also think it would benefit from a HUD, although less of an issue I thought it might be. Audio performance is also very strong for what is the 'base' system with the Model Y. Easily superior to the HiFi and HK systems in the BMW in my opinion, and I'd argue there are areas where it shows up the B&W stereo I had in the X5. Cements my opinion it wasn't worth the additional £3.5k I 'paid' for it.

All in all my wife and I are very happy with the car. I do miss aspects of the X5, but I have been looking forward to getting in and driving the Model Y. For the driving we do and the use we make of it, it's a better suited car, even if it does lack that final bit of polish that makes something like a high-end luxury car feel special. I guess the acid test though is if I was offered the chance to swap back tomorrow into the X5, would I take it? And I've got to say, the answer at this stage is a resounding 'no'. I think the Model Y is a cracking bit of kit and a very competent family car.

Reactions: teaston