Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the looks of the i3 and the whole cfrp thing, but it really seems like too little, too late.
For 10 grand more you can get the Tesla S with more range, better performance and more seats. i know it's not a direct competitor but still...

On top of that, the Bimmer's numbers aren't any better than the Leaf's and a lot more pricey. I expect the handling might be better but still.

If the BMW is $40k, the base Model S is $17.4k more.

I totally agree.
If I didn't have a Roadster, I would probably have already bought a Leaf... lucky for me, the Roadster was available first.
I've never owned a Nissan, and the Leaf is the first one I would have considered.
However, if the BMW was magically available at the same time, it would hold a significant advantage in my mind.

With 66% of american car owning households owning 2 or more cars, there is room for a lot of short range EVs on the market.
Until Nissan is producing a million Leafs per year, I think they will sell them as fast as they can make them.

Some videos along with some more info on both the i3 and i8 on AutoblogGreen. They should have another feature on them later this week.

bmw-i8.jpg

Not to troll, but guys, BMW has a really spotty reputation when it comes to anything electric. Even aside electric mini, their regular cars are prone to numerous electrical problems.
My experience (anecdotal, I know): problems with sunroof not closing, door locks not working, alarm going off for no reason, bugs in AC control, check engine light diagnostics so screwed, that it took BMW engineer (!) to troubleshoot. Now imagine that on your car EVERYTHING is electric...

To be fair, their mechanics is really awesome.

More anecdotal, but a workmate has an old 5 series which has really bizarre electrical problems.
For instance when you turn the windshield wipers on the radio comes on too. I wonder how they could wire it to end up doing that?!

Not to troll, but guys, BMW has a really spotty reputation when it comes to anything electric.

I think the Brits have the Germans beat. I used to own a Jag E-Type, which like almost all British cars in the 60's and 70's had electrics made by Lucas, Inc.. The running joke was:

Q: Why do the British like warm beer?

A: They have to. They have Lucas Refrigerators!

BMW i4 and i5 to focus on affordable performance, families

A few reports and our own sources indicate that the next two models will be the i4 and i5; a smaller coupe and a family focused four-door.

Both models will be based around the carbon fiber reinforced plastic "Life" structure to keep weight in check and use variations of the drivetrains fitted to the i3 and i8.

Daily Mail reporting here that the i3 will be £35,000: BMW reveals its shark-like electric car | Mail Online

That's hugely expensive for the type and size of car and £10k more than the LEAF. The Daily Mail is normally pretty accurate with their pricing sources.

If we look at pre-tax credit numbers - with Leaf at 35K and S at 57K - there is a large gap in which to slot cars. We will have a bunch of cars competing in that region - including the upcoming Infinity EV. I can see i3 being priced around $45K. Ofcourse they won't sell a ton of them at that price.

I can see two types of vehicles filling that niche, at least that might interest me. An ESFlow type of sports car with better than LEAF performance and increased range, and/or a striking, streamlined small sedan with good efficiency that gets better kwh/mi numbers than the LEAF. That price range should allow more use of lightweight materials and more attention to aerodynamics. Hopefully.