Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i2 (i3 Replacement) For Under $34,000 Hinted At For 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
The i2 would be totally different from the i3 According to German Manager Magazine, Klaus Fröhlich, a member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Development, hinted at a potential new BMW i model — the i2, which could be launched on the market in 2024 at prices of under €30,000 ($34,000). The new car...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/27/bmw-i2-i3-replacement-cheap/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

I atually like the i3. There are not that many goofy cars around to leaven the endless flow of humdrum vehicularity. It's not BMW's fault they let their engineers over- and under-spec the car while management fiddled around until their best people pushing EVs left. Oh, wait.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I atually like the i3. There are not that many goofy cars around to leaven the endless flow of humdrum vehicularity. It's not BMW's fault they let their engineers over- and under-spec the car while management fiddled around until their best people pushing EVs left. Oh, wait.

Speaking from experience, the i3 is a much better car than people give it credit for. What is sad is that BMW has barely developed it since it came out in 2013.

Ugly car? Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. Some people thought the beloved VW beetle was ugly. And my late wife thought the Porsche 356 her dad drove was ugly. The real issue was raised above. By 2024 BMW will be very late to the EV party. And, unless they can pull an "Apple" out of their hat. A much better version of an iconic product they WILL be an also ran...

Ok, but why could not BMW use the 3 series chassis for their EV and GM could use the Cruze chassis. They wasted lots of money designing from the ground up to what in the end is less aero dynamic and ugly.

The BMW i3 was the most efficient car on the road for a number of years, and it is still one of the top ones. The problem is that BMW decided that this allowed for a smaller battery pack, rather than using it for longer range. Plus being designed to be electric from the ground up makes the i3 ridiculously spacious for its size.

I used to like it and tried to find a reasonably priced used one. Still too expensive for the range and model year. Works good as an urban car for parking and relatively safe for a car that sized. New ones are too expensive for my tastes. Now that the Model 3 is here I have very little to no desire for an i3 anymore. Sorry!

The article stated that BMW is taking out a lot of the that make the i3 unique and efficient. Things like the carbon fiber construction. So we can probably expect the i2 to get lower range, be heavier, and handle worse.

And 2024 is heck of a long time way. By then the EV market will be full of $35,000 or less cars. Cars from Hyundia/Kia, Ford, Mercedes, Renault, etc.

Speaking from experience, the i3 is a much better car than people give it credit for. What is sad is that BMW has barely developed it since it came out in 2013.
BMW engineers told a German car magazine that the reason they have barely developed the i3 in terms of range is the fact that it is made of carbon fiber. Since it's made out of carbon fiber it is impossible to put a bigger battery in the car because you would practically have to start the car from scratch that is why the range is only increased when battery technology developed further.

According to rumors in Germany (not proven yet), the i2 is supposed to be sharing a car platform with Mercedes. They said that unlike VW who can make its cars profitable due to their mass production BMW and Mercedes will most likely team up and start from scratch on developing a dedicated platform that is why it's not going to come out anytime soon. Recently BMW and Mercedes have teamed up on self-driving technology and they have merged their 2 carsharing platforms (at least here in Germany) so I think that it's very likely that they are going to cooperate.

• Informative
Reactions: democappy
BMW engineers told a German car magazine that the reason they have barely developed the i3 in terms of range is the fact that it is made of carbon fiber. Since it's made out of carbon fiber it is impossible to put a bigger battery in the car because you would practically have to start the car from scratch that is why the range is only increased when battery technology developed further.

I do not disagree at all, that is a very good point. BMW put a lot of development and engineering into the i3 platform without realizing that the concept itself (EVs as just limited range commuter cars) was already outdated.

That said, similar to GM with the Volt, they kind of left the i3 hanging to dry. By developing, I also meant other basic things unrelated to the powertrain, even if it is just restyling to incentivize sales. For instance, even with the latest refresh, the inside of the i3 is virtually unchanged since the car originally came out. And don't get me wrong, I really like the interior of the i3, but it I would have loved to see what BMW could have done had they run with the ball a bit further.

Last edited: