Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW I3 and Chevy Bolt versus the M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an i3 prior to my Model 3 and loved it. I bought the EV only version and drove it from LA to San Jose - it took a lot longer, but let's just say that it helped me get used to having range anxiety (a few times I pulled into a charging station with 1 mile left). Needless to say, the lack of range is why I switched over to the Tesla, and I am sure glad that I did. If the BMW had better range, I would have kept it. It's a fun car to drive, is very safe and sturdy, and the Harmon Kardon sound system might sound better than the Tesla Model 3 premium sound (yes, I did say that).

My experience going from i3 to Model 3 mirrors yours. Range is king.

I do prefer the Model 3's audio quality over the i3's Harmon Kardon.

Reactions: diggity
The i3 is a pretty good little car. BMW will also be using the i3 platform for the 2020 MINI electric. For which it’s a great fit and it will sell like proverbial hot cakes if they price it right.

The Bolt is a waste of time. It’s pretty much the same compact SUV they’ve been selling under a few different names for the past several years that has offered ICE, then hybrid, and finally all electric drive options. It’s the same as it’s hybrid counterpart, they just removed the generator motor and fuel tank and put in a larger battery and slightly better charge ability. All things considered, it’s a completely different philosophy than the other two vehicles and feels like a half-assed attempt to appease a small market segment. I truly think when GM decided to offer it, they did for two reasons: 1> Add a zero-emission EV that can help lower average fleet MPG numbers. 2> They might sell enough of them to almost justify the effort because, treehuggers. Well, as it turns out, it’s been way more popular than anticipated and yet if they actually put a bit of effort into designing something good, they could be making a killing. I think they see it, but at times they don’t or don’t know what to do with it.

The Model 3 is a whole different animal. 100% designed from the ground up as an EV and everything just fits and works together with purpose.

The M3 basically beats these two contenders on all points. Now if Tesla can learn how to run an effective market campaign...

Bolt is a good car for city driving. It is small (and narrow), so it is easy to park. The premium version has some nice features, like 360 degree view, front camera, and electronic rearview mirror, which make driving and parking in tight places much easier. It also has cross-traffic alerts, and pedestrian alerts.

It also has a hatchback, so you if you fold backseats, you can fit a lot more in it than into Tesla.

Regen on Bolt can bring the car to a full stop, and it also doesn't slide back on hills.

Bolt also has Apple CarPlay, which Tesla lacks.

Bolt doesn't have vampire drain, so if you leave it in the airport for a week, you will find it with exactly the same mileage as when you left.

Bolt is a good car for city driving. It is small (and narrow), so it is easy to park. The premium version has some nice features, like 360 degree view, front camera, and electronic rearview mirror, which make driving and parking in tight places much easier. It also has cross-traffic alerts, and pedestrian alerts.

It also has a hatchback, so you if you fold backseats, you can fit a lot more in it than into Tesla.

Regen on Bolt can bring the car to a full stop, and it also doesn't slide back on hills.

Bolt doesn't have vampire drain, so if you leave it in the airport for a week, you will find it with exactly the same mileage as when you left.
Totally forgot about the 360 degree camera. Super useful when parking in tight places.

Totally forgot about the 360 degree camera. Super useful when parking in tight places.

Agreed. Also the camera that show in the rear view mirror is wonderful addition. It has plenty of tech in the car. They really needed an independent design team to work on the car. So much potential. Simple esthetics and better seating could have given M3 a bit of competition. This is good for the consumer. As it stands now Tesla is king with no challenge

Why not just have it all be in the pedal position? I'm pretty good at modulating the accelerator to fully control my deceleration. I just don't see the point in an extra control.
True...they could have had one more regen selection. The Bolt's L mode is just like the model 3's most aggressive regen...pressing the paddle gives even more agressive regen. So...when in a L mode and paddle depressed...you have the Bolt's most agressive regen...more than the Model 3's....and you can still modulate the accelerator while depressing the paddle to control deceleration.

Reactions: TyH2009

Not completely true on vampire drain... If you are in a hot climate it will cool its battery when hot.

For a 107 mile range EV in 2020, I wonder what will be the right price.

They’re upgrading the battery. The MINI E will supposedly have a 300km/ 186mi range. So still not amazing, but a step in the right direction. OTOH, while I really like my MINI, there’s no way I could drive it that far in a day without suffering lower back pain and bruised kidneys. Heh. Pricing is said to be in line with other MINI models.

I agree with most of the comments here. The i3 was my first EV. I loved it. Sure it wasn't great for long distance trips - although I did them. Highway skitti-ness was poor over 55 mph and the suicide doors were a bit of a pain at times.
That said, it was like the TARDIS inside. The carbon fibre construction, nearly 0 vamp drain, insane turning circle, fantastic 1 pedal driving, great 0-30 performance, great seating position, fantastic headlights, etc. are all things I miss.
My son liked it so much he made an i3 hist first car.
We have often joked that when we buy a holiday house, an i3 will be the car in the garage.

The i3 is the most expensive option. Especially when comparing cost and range with the M3 and Bolt.

But also the most affordable when leasing...

Leasing the tesla is nonsense as their rates are very high.
Chevy *doesn't* credit the full $7500 tax credit to the lease (only half of it), and the residuals are mostly correct (the car won't be worth much in 3 years), so the payments end up very high.
BMW *does* credit the full $7500 tax credit to the lease, and the residuals are all kinds of messed up...They think the vehicle will still be worth $30K at the end of the lease...which makes the payments MUCH MUCH less.

I cross shopped the i3 and the Bolt. The lease payments on the i3 were over $150 less per month.