TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BMW i3 charging at a Tesla Showroom HPWC

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by ecarfan, May 15, 2016.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Wrong link?

3. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Maybe ecar is referencing the below video at the Salt Lake SvC.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I inserted the wrong link into my post! Here is the correct one

5. wart

wart Member

So somebody succeeded in building an adapter. Interesting.

However - given that the new Tesla HPWC supports up to 277 volts - I wonder what would happen if someone plugged a non-Tesla EV into 277V?

6. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

#6 DavidM, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Based on the sign that says "Tesla charging only", I would consider this theft.
    In a nutshell, Tesla is offering free fuel to its customers via the HPWC. As a business owner, I understand that there may be times when I want to offer a perk to MY customers, as a "thank you" for their business. It also sends a message to potential customers that they can have this perk in return for their business as well. If someone is clever enough to hack the perk for my customers, then they are stealing.

This reminds me of how some tech savvy homeowners used to steal cable TV, and brag about it. Doing it, and then bragging about it by posting it online is even worse. The message to Tesla is "watch as I bring my BMW onto your property and ignore your signage, and steal from you".

• Like x 1