Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3 deceptive advertising

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Euro standards.

If the guy was dumb enough to sign a $970/m lease (Cd$) for 4 years on a 2014 i3, then it's understandable he was too dumb to go to the EPA site and read the EPA range. He probably does not know that km can be converted to miles.

BMW offered him $5000 for being dumb. He claims he is dumber than that and wants more.

this?
sheepdog+border+collie+shakes+off+water+funny+picture+photo+pulling+faces+raspberry+tongue.jpg

Junk article.

The original 200 km/charge claim in the advert never said "expected,", it said "up to."
And the claim was based on unspecified "internal testing," as noted in the small print of the advert

A bit hard to believe that the car buyer did not x-check EPA and European fuel economy results for a somewhat more realistic idea of range. I say somewhat because his climate is tougher on range than the standardized tests.

The buyer should have done more homework, but BMW never should have published the 200 km figure. It was criticized at the time and I am just surprised how long it took for such article to appear. Nissan's 161 km claim in 2010-2011 hit the fan much more quickly.

The $970 4-year lease is baffling. The government rebate is less in B.C. than in Ontario, Quebec or the USA, but still. Perhaps there's a typo in the article.

Reactions: Yarder
  • Funny
Reactions: Yarder
An i3 owner that has corresponded with the owner in question points out that, in addition to EPA numbers not being legally required in advertising and car stickers in Canada, the EPA numbers weren't available when this i3 owner did his research (it is unclear if they were when he actually made his purchase). At the time, the web site numbers were all the buyer had to go on.

However, retrieving an old copy of the web site, BMW actually said "160km", and depending on the destination, "up to 200km" in Eco Pro+ mode.

200km is possible - at city speeds. Of course, at city speeds, few people are going to go 200km; they generally care about range when driving on the highway.