Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess when the Volt over here is priced at $63k drive-away - the i3 seems like a bargain*

* or the Volt is $20k overpriced :tongue:

Sure was. The "real" price of the Volt is $47,000 for new or $40K for a demo. I drove a demo and could have paid that and drove it away but when it was sold the next day I was offered a 0 km new one that could be plated up and sold to me for $47,000.

just get the Mitsuibishi Outlander PHEV if you want a real, plugin car at an honest price
its around $50k
The range of the PHEV is rubbish. 50 km's is not really that useful in such a car. If it was a little City car like the Smart or even the i3 and you were just zipping around within the City or innner suburbs you're fine but why would you buy a large SUV then? So it's really just a fairly fuel effiecient, petrol SUV that can give you around 3 litres per hundred on average. Not bad for an SUV but certainly not a "real, plugin car". A real plugin car needs to have no petrol engine, no oil, no air and oil filters, no exhanust system to maintain, no Diesel particulate filter, virtually no servicing, etc.

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV review | long term 1 | carsguide.com.au
"We had a grand plan to run the Outlander PHEV for zero petrol cost for six months – but that went out the door in the first week when we had to drive further than 50km in one go. Zero petrol is achievable if you live less than 25km from work and that's the only driving you do each day."

but certainly not a "real, plugin car". A real plugin car needs to have no petrol engine, no oil, no air and oil filters, no exhanust system to maintain, no Diesel particulate filter, virtually no servicing, etc.

Mitsui PHEV its a real plugin car, but its a PHEV not an EV

50kms for 300days/year is about 15,000 kms per year petrol free
then its a hybrid SUV for jaunts between the Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne etc

over Easter, I was camping along Thunderbolts way, no electricity,
thinking the Outlander PHEV would be great for this
good traction for offroad towing a caravan,
big battery for running life's little luxuries.
room for wife, 3 kids, and gear.

horses for courses,

Except Tesla, Mitsui is the only plugin car thats meets price/performance vs its equivalent sibling.

can't say that about
LEAF / Pulsar
BMW i3 / BMW 3 series price, MINI series 'scope'
Volt / Cruze
i-MiEV / i

I was actually a cash deposit reservation holder for a BMW i3. Very early on the list (sub top10). The promise from BMW was that as a reservation holder I was a VIP. I would be invited to the launch, priority ordering, and priority build slots. Opportunity for first delivery etc. BMW said don’t worry we will contact you, invite you to the launch. When I finally contacted them after months, they said sorry you have missed out; other people have taken the build slots. When I mentioned my disappointment their attitude was “suck it up”
That combined with the rather blatant rip off pricing for the i3, convinced me that these old institutional car companies are on their last legs. I admire BMW for trying but their customer service, dealer manners and follow up are more government agency, than electric car company.
Tesla on the other hand brought the car to my work the next day and they had a sale 20 minutes later. It’s amazing what some personalized service can do. It was as if Tesla recognized the value of the customer whilst BMW recognized the customer as a problem. It was just too difficult. In any language $80k or $120K is a lot of money and investing that in a car company deserves some respect.

Maybe this is old news but insideevs are reporting that the i8 is going to be $299k in Australia, hence over $200k dearer than the cheapest model S.

http://insideevs.com/bmw-i8-priced-200000-tesla-model-s-australia/

That is a lot of extra $$$$$ for a less practical (space, seats etc) car.
And while I'm sure it's absolutely awesome in combined mode, the i8 is absolutely useless in pure EV mode. As has been mentioned as well that $299k (and that will be before taxes etc so imagine the LCT and stamp duty on top of that) there is also the cost of servicing the components of a combustion engine. Similarly, the Porsche 918 Spyder will be fantastic but will run at close to a million bucks.

I was actually a cash deposit reservation holder for a BMW i3. Very early on the list (sub top10). The promise from BMW was that as a reservation holder I was a VIP. I would be invited to the launch, priority ordering, and priority build slots. Opportunity for first delivery etc. BMW said don’t worry we will contact you, invite you to the launch. When I finally contacted them after months, they said sorry you have missed out; other people have taken the build slots. When I mentioned my disappointment their attitude was “suck it up”
That combined with the rather blatant rip off pricing for the i3, convinced me that these old institutional car companies are on their last legs. I admire BMW for trying but their customer service, dealer manners and follow up are more government agency, than electric car company.
Tesla on the other hand brought the car to my work the next day and they had a sale 20 minutes later. It’s amazing what some personalized service can do. It was as if Tesla recognized the value of the customer whilst BMW recognized the customer as a problem. It was just too difficult. In any language $80k or $120K is a lot of money and investing that in a car company deserves some respect.

I, too, was thinking about buying an I3 here in Brisbane. But their terrible service put me off completely. I communicated with 2 different people and after a couple of replies, zip, no communication at all.

I, too, was thinking about buying an I3 here in Brisbane. But their terrible service put me off completely. I communicated with 2 different people and after a couple of replies, zip, no communication at all.
Bmw are the rudest most inept company to ever sell cars. Before the sale if you dont dress to their standards they ignore you. After the sale they ignore you. If you have a problem that is significant they ignore you. When they find the cause they won't tell you. Horrible ownership experience.

I saw this BMW i3 yesterday and thought “well that ambition has been well and truly trashed…”

46D2B52C-FF85-4454-9748-44F50300453F.jpeg

The most optimistic scenario is we’ll peak around 500 if we globally get to net-zero by 2050 😱

Have you seen them in the metal? The finish, materials and interior design something else
They're pretty nice, fit and finish. The chassis is rather stout too with all the carbon work. The problem is they are crazy expensive and lose value fast on the used market. I wouldn't buy one new. In the US they start around 48K and go to 52K and that buts right up next to a Model 3 SR and LR. My neighbor had an early one and those had their issues but if you kept up with the warranty it was all fixed. I personally like the i3s w/o the range extender with its sport suspension. They're a hoot to drive and fairly quick but eat rear tires like crazy and that can be an issue because they use i3 specific tires.
I’ve heard an i3 called many things, but “gorgeous” has never been one of them until now! 😄
I kind of like it's looks, it's ugly but pretty at the same time or something like that.