Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3 in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now it has been several months, any updates to your thoughts of this car? It seems that range and price are the major turn-offs - which is very typical for EVs in general, though getting better and better.

Hopefully, the Tesla Model S will squeeze the i3 down in price to make it more popular.

Is there any i3 community there, a club, facebook group or other ways owners exchange experiences? If so, we would like to get in contact with them, to inform the owners of Charged.hk.

The same goes for other EVs like Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi iMiev, Renault Fluence and so on.

The entire transition from burning fossil fuels to moving electrons will be more smooth if we unite in our efforts to put pressure on LegCo, owner committees and everywhere else where improvements needs to be made.

Still happy with the car. As we know the distances we drive a bit better, we approach the lower % of charge a bit more aggressively and range is just within acceptable for us.
A big improvement for the car could be to allow it to charge by 32A 3phase.
The i3 accepts 32A single phase for home charging only. This allows it to a max of 7kW charge.
i3s before October 2014 production (like mine) have a problem with the internal charger (called KLE by BWM) and limit charge to 4-5kW = about 30% less then stated in the technical specs. In the USA and UK they have a recall going on to replace the KLEs with proper working ones, but BMW HK states "no information from BMW yet".
DC charging with 50kW is possible (CCS standard, compatible with i3, VW eUp and VW eGolf at the moment). This is somewhat the Supercharger for i3s. However like a Supercharger, home installation is too expensive and most probably technically not possible. At the the moment there is one CCS charger on Kowloon side (Tak Long Estate car park, Kai Tak).

To my knowledge there is no local i3 community. The only forum I could find is here:
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1526

Last edited: