Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3 versus Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Highlights

Bad for trips under 80 miles.... ??? (i dont get this one at all)
Tesla is terrible for long trips
not nearly as good for cornering compared to the i3
worse electronics package
doesnt look at good from the front
Tesla is not capable of being your only car (ive had my Tesla for over a year and its all i got but it CANNOT BE MY ONLY CAR!)

wsfos46.jpg

taken from BMW i3 Forum View topic - BMW i3 REx vs Tesla S 60kwh

to be honest i think they are just butt hurt the S destroys their puny i3 running on 155 width tires.

If the people on the BMW forum like the i3 over the Model S, so be it. It's apples and oranges---you buy what you want and what suits your tastes. I have both a Model S and a Mitsubishi I-MiEV. There are places where this I-MiEV does a better job for me then the Tesla. Within the city, the I-MiEV is my preferred vehicle. Anywhere else it's the Tesla. BTW---I'll bet nobody on the i3 forum would do a similar comparison between it and the I-MiEV!

It's called "spin". Doesn't much match with actual owner experience. I notice they have included the 85 kWh cars in the Wh/mile number but base most other things of the 60 kWh car. I suspect anyone actually comparing both cars will do enough research to figure out which is better. I also notice they didn't put in categories like "no dirty gas engine", "more moving parts", "service", etc. Basically the i3 is a pimped-up Leaf, not Tesla competition.

He is complaining about the front looks of the Tesla and got an i3? Really? I think most people's reaction to the front of the i3 is to throw up.

Though I would love to see them do a trip over 160 miles in a i3 even with a REX, they would soon realize what range anxiety really means. Has any i3 done a cross country 12000 miles yet?

He is complaining about the front looks of the Tesla and got an i3? Really? I think most people's reaction to the front of the i3 is to throw up.

as far as "Looks" go in terms of aerodynamics

Tesla Model S = 0.24 Drag
BMW i3REx = 0.30 Drag (0.29 if it didnt have a brick wall in the form of a radiator to haul around)

Tesla wins.

Apparently Tesla is mentioned so much on the BMW i3 forum i cant search it haha
2014-05-10 16_24_04-BMW i3 Forum • Information.png

@AC1K, where was that from? Some BMW dealership in Georgia?

Some of those were laughable :)

Spotted an orange-black i3 driving out of Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo today. They had an "ultimate test drive event" going on. Was a bit tempted to stop by but, didn't want to encourage this half-hearted attempt at a great EV :tongue:

@AC1K, where was that from? Some BMW dealership in Georgia?

Some of those were laughable :)

Spotted an orange-black i3 driving out of Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo today. They had an "ultimate test drive event" going on. Was a bit tempted to stop by but, didn't want to encourage this half-hearted attempt at a great EV :tongue:

BMW i3 Forum View topic - BMW i3 REx vs Tesla S 60kwh

i actually lol'd at the 3/4 looks category, my own option about looks is i only think it looks good if its aerodynamic, this way its not really an "opinion" but a measurable trait with simple numbers.

The Tesla's CD is 0.24, the i3 is 0.29 w/o REx and 0.30 w/ REx

with that being said, it looks like a clown car, the tires are so narrow they are are pizza cutters, it handles atrocious because of this, its sad really, BMW has so many world class engineers, pretty much unlimited resources (check out how much BMW bet on the i3) infront of them to make the best car the world has ever seen, to put BMW on the very top, and this is what they come up with.

cant even beat their existing x3 in anything except fuel efficiency

There will always be "haters" and "doubters" in each segment. I recently let a colleague drive my P85+, he loved it, and was interested in buying one. Then he went to price one out and saw that his preferred spec would be $95k, he freaked out, and starting spewing BMW 7-series jargon to me and about how it was a better car for the money. Different strokes for different folks, I tried for about 5 mins to explain to him, gas vs electric, fuel costs, technology, etc. But then I saw he was just being cheap, stubborn, and old-fashioned, not to mention he isn't tech savvy, so I let it go. He'll see the light when he's good and ready.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
I feel like the person who made this is in their right to feel the way they feel. The problem I have with the chart is that half of it is opinion. Like the look of the car.

Buying a car is such a heavily opinionated thing you really cant compare the two to be honest. Even if I were to compare the Model S to the Model X one could say the Model S looks better and be right... to themselves.

The comparison with the i3 is ludicrous and not worth the time of day. What we have here is a case of congenital brand addiction, which seems to afflict many BMW owners.

The real test for me what BMW owners who've driven the Model S think. My brother is a long-time BMW owner -- over the last 25 years he's probably owned 5 or 6, including an M5 or two. When he drove my Model S he acknowledged that it was a better car in almost every way. Over the time he's had BMWs his stories about his experiences with BMW dealers and service are legion, and not in a positive way. When I tell him about Tesla service and reliability he's amazed. He's just not ready for a BEV. I'm working on him, believe me.

The other day I pulled into a Starbucks, and as always, the car was getting a lot of attention and questions. One of the inquirers was an M5 owner, and I let him do a 10 minute test drive. When we returned to the Starbucks he said to his wife: "Time to sell the M5." That the apple I want to compare and it's enough for me:)

• Informative
Reactions: Brando