TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BMW i3 with electric plates

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by kevincwelch, Jan 21, 2016.

1. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I saw one downtown this evening.

I was under the impression that the EL plates were for fully electric cars. Is this not the case or are there fully electric versions of the i3?

2. Father Bill

Father Bill Member

The I3 comes in both BEV and Rex Electric. I am not sure if the Rex gets the EL plate but the BEV(Battery Electric Vehicle) version is absolutely eligible for the EL plate.

Peace,

Father Bill

3. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Ah. I thought there was only a range extender version...

4. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

I don't remember if they have published any stats about how many are sold with the gas engine versus without.

5. early74B

early74B New Member

Not typically ... good source of EV sales info listed below; we should see February sales in a few days ... I will say I saw I think 2565 EL on an i8 which really shouldn't be as the plate series requires you to sign an affirmation that the car ONLY runs on electric power (for instance, you should never see one on a Chevy Volt). Those i3's without ReX are eligible without a doubt

January 2017 Plug-In Electric Vehicle Sales Report Card

Haven't seen much on this forum (sorry just joined today so haven't gone through old posts) as to the highest EV ('EL' series) spotted but on other EV forums someone saw 5808 on a new Tesla S recently -- I would think that passing the 6000 mark shouldn't be far away, especially once the Model 3 starts rolling in

6. JoeMap

JoeMap Member

According to another article (related to the i3 REx recall on the fuel line) on insideevs in early February, a total of 24,741 i3's were sold in the US, with 19,130 being the REx model leaving leaving 5,611 BEV models sold nationwide since its debut.

Joe