Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, a comparison. Yes, lightweight motorcycle engines require a lot of maintenance, and they were never designed for 100's of thousands of miles, particularly while being run at a continuous load that far exceeds what it would experience in an actual motorcycle.

This car will not likely have a range driving down the freeway at 65mph that is greater than a LEAF.

LEAF = 24kWh / .28-.29 Cd = 84 miles at 65mph on level, no wind, dry hard surfaced road.
BMW = 22kWh / .28 Cd = likely less than 84 miles

The significant (and impressive) weight advantage of the BMW over a LEAF won't likely help much in the above example. It will help in going up hills and stop-and-go driving.

I'm glad we compared the car that couldn't be compared ;-)

Still you can't compare with volt because i3 goes 90 to 125 miles on battery... don't think it is comparable on pure EV version...

I am not getting into extender discussion because I am not interested in hybrid of any sort...

pure EV and volt are in separate category unless people want to compare different categories..just like people don't understand Tesla :cool:...someone on this forum was prompting his SA article on same topic... sounds familiar argument

pure EV and volt are in separate category unless people want to compare different categories..just like people don't understand Tesla :cool:...someone on this forum was prompting his SA article on same topic... sounds familiar argument
BMW i3 with REX: Plug-in hybrid
BMW i3 without REX: Pure electric car
Cheverolet Volt: Plug-in hybrid

The Volt and the i3 with REX are both plug-in hybrids, of similar size and price, so it makes perfect sense to compare them.

BMW i3 with REX: Plug-in hybrid
BMW i3 without REX: Pure electric car
Cheverolet Volt: Plug-in hybrid

The Volt and the i3 with REX are both plug-in hybrids, of similar size and price, so it makes perfect sense to compare them.

i3 without REX can't be compare to volt or prius.

i3 with REX still can't be compare partly because i3 has generator not ICE like volt is carrying. RXE supply power to battery and it is not full ICE engine (nobody knows full RXE details at this time...maybe on 29th)

I agree they can't be compared directly.

i3 with REX still can't be compare partly because i3 has generator not ICE like volt is carrying. RXE supply power to battery and it is not full ICE engine (nobody knows full RXE details at this time...maybe on 29th)
The REX of the i3 includes a full ICE, just like in the Volt. It is smaller (34 hp instead 80 hp), true, but it is an engine that combusts gasoline internally, in other words, it's an ICE.

And yes, it can probably only charge the batteries, which means it can only fuction as a series hybrid, not a series/parallel hybrid like the Volt, which both fall in the category "plug-in hybrid". The difference is completely irrelevant to the average consumer, as well as most experts.

The important thing is that CONSUMERS will compare and cross-shop them. Much more important than what techno-weenies think.

if you are buying 30k to 40k cars better spend 40 minutes to educate yourself. Again, many people surprise us by buying TV set from sears.com, where same is available $200 to $500 less at bestbuy.com

BTW: found pretty cool three wheels elio cars for $6800 price and 1000 people on waiting list (pretty impressive). I know it is not EV but posting for info only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ge1ZGi1bTQ&nomobile=1

http://www.eliomotors.com/

While everyone else is building cars that won't sell, Tesla is building cars that people really want. That is why they will be successful.

That is quite a statement.
Even though I don't like the looks of the i3, a car of that range and price would suffice for me as well as most buyers here. The majority of cars on the roads here are small cars, subcompacts, compacts, bmw 3-series-size cars. Then there is what we call upper-middle class (5 series et al), of which there are also quite a few (yet not nearly as much as all those smaller cars), and the majority of those are company-cars anyway. Above those there are ever fewer cars of categories the size of a Model S or larger.
So there certainly is a far bigger market for cars like the i3, the Mini EV, the VW e-up!, the Focus electric, the Zoe, and perhaps one day the e-Golf.
These cars surely will sell, not in the millions, that's for sure, but certainly better than the Model S.

It starts early: 5:15 PDT and 8:15 EDT.

i3premier.png
bmwi3mnl.gif

Click to open

That is quite a statement.
Even though I don't like the looks of the i3, a car of that range and price would suffice for me as well as most buyers here. The majority of cars on the roads here are small cars, subcompacts, compacts, bmw 3-series-size cars. Then there is what we call upper-middle class (5 series et al), of which there are also quite a few (yet not nearly as much as all those smaller cars), and the majority of those are company-cars anyway. Above those there are ever fewer cars of categories the size of a Model S or larger.
So there certainly is a far bigger market for cars like the i3, the Mini EV, the VW e-up!, the Focus electric, the Zoe, and perhaps one day the e-Golf.
These cars surely will sell, not in the millions, that's for sure, but certainly better than the Model S.
It isn't so easy to say that a cheaper car will sell in greater numbers. You need to look at what you get for your money. The Model S is outselling the Mitsubishi i, despite being a seriously more expensive vehicle.

I expect the i3 to sell in the area of the same numbers as the Leaf and Volt, globally, but it could also be half that or twice that. We will see.

These guys from BMW couldn't be more UNLIKE Elon... wow.

Why are they saying that they are the first, that they are setting the revolution, that the paradigm shift has now started... I would argue that Nissan or Mitsubishi started it, and Tesla sealed the deal... then again, the Roadster proved long distance with EV was possible even before that.

In any case, the presentation is rather dry and I feel rather unexciting.

The car, however, is definitely a great option for EV because of its pricepoint... but the 100km range might be a problem.

Must be nice to have so many marketing dollars to put behind a car...

It isn't so easy to say that a cheaper car will sell in greater numbers. You need to look at what you get for your money. The Model S is outselling the Mitsubishi i, despite being a seriously more expensive vehicle.

I expect the i3 to sell in the area of the same numbers as the Leaf and Volt, globally, but it could also be half that or twice that. We will see.

I agree with your first statement. What makes luxury cars defy traditional price/demand curves is what my economics professor called, " the backward bending demand curve for diamonds". What I find hard to predict globally, is China and its rapidly growing consumerism. On a brief visit and based on casual reading, the Chinese status symbol appears to be BMW. Granted, there are some charging infrastructure issues to deal with. It could be a huge market for this kindbof car.