Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 LEAF is EPA rated at 84 miles.
(As a '13 Leaf driver...) There is a story behind that too...
2014 Nissan LEAF: Mostly Unchanged As Range Technically Moves Up To 84 Miles | Inside EVs
2013 Nissan LEAF Rated At 75 Miles. But 84 Miles Using The Outgoing 2012 EPA Ratings System | Inside EVs

So, rather than be bit by the 80% and 100% charge average, Nissan decided to remove the charge to 80% option on the '14 Leafs. :rolleyes: Folks had requested Nissan add MORE choices than just charge to 80 or 100% but they did just the opposite.

- - - Updated - - -

It has four doors from what I've seen. It's just that the rear two door swing from the rear and the handles blend.
The rear doors are "suicide doors". BMW i3 - Features & Specs - Specifications - BMW North America
says "no of doors/seats" is 4.

BTW, from inspection of BMW i3 Gets Official EPA Ratings, it looks like it got an EPA size classification (not too surprisingly) of subcompact. One can click thru All-Electric Vehicles: Compare Side-by-Side under the Specs tab to see the official designations (e.g. Leaf is a midsize).

Last edited:
Not sure if this was posted yet. If so, apologies. First i3 delivery in the US.

http://green.autoblog.com/2014/05/02/bmw-i3-epa-81-mile-range-delivered/

And the next day Michael Thwaite, (a Roadster owner) was the first i3 owner in the State of NJ. A picture of his i3 at delivery:
10343693_10152378527755982_1086002157004784905_n.jpg

Is it too early to speculate on what percentage of US sales will be of the REx version?

Do the early deliveries included the DCQC port as part of the top-end trim? If not, how many people will order the SAE/CCS Combo port as an option?
Yeah, I do think it's a little early to look at the breakdown. Production has been very slow and they actually filled more of the BEV orders first so initial deliveries will be skewed.

The DCQC is a stand alone option for $700 and you can get it with any trim level.

Last edited:
(I didn't see this posted yet.)

Title: BMW i3 Confirmed as Most Efficient EV Yet
BMW i3 Confirmed as Most Efficient EV Yet

I know I'm biased since I own a 500e, but I don't think Fiat (and Bosch) get enough credit for the great EV engineering they did. Taking an existing ICE chassis, they achieved better range than the i3 with very good efficiency and acceleration. Plus it is a nice looking car with a lot of Italian flair, so there is no need to apologize for how it looks.

I know I'm biased since I own a 500e, but I don't think Fiat (and Bosch) get enough credit for the great EV engineering they did. Taking an existing ICE chassis, they achieved better range than the i3 with very good efficiency and acceleration. Plus it is a nice looking car with a lot of Italian flair, so there is no need to apologize for how it looks.

I'm an i3 reservation holder and really enjoyed the 500e and was comfortable with the batteries on the 500e as it is the same as the ones on my Active E and the i3... Having driven all three if these vehicles, I would say that the additional plus for the 500e is it's almost as fun to drive as a Roadster.

Yeah but not selling them outside of CARB states really takes the 500e down a lot in my book. At least BMW is selling the thing to people. Not just trying to scare up CARB credits.

Yeah but not selling them outside of CARB states really takes the 500e down a lot in my book. At least BMW is selling the thing to people. Not just trying to scare up CARB credits.

My understanding is that even at ~$33K MSRP they lose money on every one they sell, but lose less money than if they bought CARB credits instead. I'm not defending them, but their position is understandable.

If demand in CA exceeds their expectations, maybe they will find a way to reduce costs and sell the 500e in other states.

My understanding is that even at ~$33K MSRP they lose money on every one they sell, but lose less money than if they bought CARB credits instead. I'm not defending them, but their position is understandable.

If demand in CA exceeds their expectations, maybe they will find a way to reduce costs and sell the 500e in other states.

They lose money on each unit sold because they lacked ambition. If FIAT decided to try to sell let say 10000 per year, with the exact same component, they would start making money on those models just with the economy of scale. but it is just a limited production compliance car, so it's expensive to produce...