Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Below is a snippet from a BMW brochure for the 22 kWh model

View attachment 175144
I think I misread the table. The left column is battery only, while the right column is the 'REX' model

The NEDC range for this 22 kWh model is 118 miles (190 km,) which maps to 81 miles by EPA.
Since the 33 kWh battery version in the 2017 model apparently improves range by 40%, I expect the new ranges to be

NEDC: 118*1.4 = 165 miles (266 km)
EPA: 81*1.4 = 113 miles

... And EPA = 0.685 * NEDC by the same ratios

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
The rear passenger windows being taller than the fronts, and the weird dip in the bodywork behind the door just uglify it for me.
I could learn to like most other bits of it, but that part I just never can stand.

i3-a.png

Reactions: jbcarioca
To me, the two-tone scheme, coupled with the notch at the front of the car, makes the hood look like it came from a different car, and was tossed on top. It makes the car kind of look like a transporter accident.

Inside is fine, however. I think stuff like the notch in the side panel is more a consequence of form following function. Seems like the car was designed from the inside out, which isn't in itself a bad idea. But it has consequences.

I think I misread the table. The left column is battery only, while the right column is the 'REX' model

The NEDC range for this 22 kWh model is 118 miles (190 km,) which maps to 81 miles by EPA.
Since the 33 kWh battery version in the 2017 model apparently improves range by 40%, I expect the new ranges to be

NEDC: 118*1.4 = 165 miles (266 km)
EPA: 81*1.4 = 113 miles

... And EPA = 0.685 * NEDC by the same ratios
2017 94 Ah BEV i3 is rated at 114 miles per 2017 BMW i3 With New, Longer Range 33 kWh Batteries (94 Ah) Have Arrived In The US (and earlier links)
2017 94 Ah REx i3 is rated at 97 miles AER per 2017 BMW i3 Rex (94 Ah) Arrives In US, Rated At 97 Miles AER, 180 Total Miles

BUMP.

As the M3 production approaches, I find myself looking at listings for used BMW i3's...

I see used 2105 models with only 5-8k miles on them for $20k. That's like an almost-new car that originally sold for 50k.

Yes it is weird looking. But the inside looks cool, it's faster than the volt, it can go 80-100 miles per charge, and can charge quickly. And it has KNOBS and BUTTONS on the console instead of just a giant touchscreen!

Assuming I get a M3 with only a few options and the FULL fed and CA tax rebates (totaling $10k), it'll still cost me at least $35k. I'm not rich, but I'm sick of giving money to the sociopaths in the fossil fuel industry so I want an electric car. I'm also an aggressive driver so I need something with zip, so the fiat and leaf are ruled out.

An M3 would be faster and cooler looking and with double the range, but is that worth $15k to me over a used 2015 i3?
As the tesla superchargers get more crowded, the M3 long haul advantage will be reduced. It will effectively be an urban commuter car, just like the i3.
Also I trust BMW's build quality far more than tesla. I read this forum enough to hear about all the build quality issues teslas have.

I guess it will largely come down to whether or not I can get the full tax credit. If not, my decision will be made for me and I'll go for the i3. If I can get the 10k in tax credits on the tesla, and I'm choosing between a slightly used $20k 2015 i3 w/ 10k miles, versus a brand new $35k M3, I'm not sure what I'd pick.

Also I trust BMW's build quality far more than tesla. I read this forum enough to hear about all the build quality issues teslas have.

You go to a car forum, you read about problems with that model of cars. The problems appear much more severe and widespread on the forum than they are in real life, due to the nature of people and forums.

i3s certainly haven't been trouble free either - they seem to be plagued by charger issues and problems with the computers (check engine lights) on the engines for the REx versions.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
You go to a car forum, you read about problems with that model of cars. The problems appear much more severe and widespread on the forum than they are in real life, due to the nature of people and forums.

i3s certainly haven't been trouble free either - they seem to be plagued by charger issues and problems with the computers (check engine lights) on the engines for the REx versions.
But the on the flip side, Leaf has been out for years longer and has NOWHERE near the frequency of similar severity (or even minor ones thrown in) that I see on Log into Facebook | Facebook. I'm on mynissanleaf.com many times a day and have been monitoring MNL for years.

The REx version is not reliable. The check engine lights and drivetrain malfunction errors have multiple causes, not just "computer" problems.

But the on the flip side, Leaf has been out for years longer and has NOWHERE near the frequency of similar severity (or even minor ones thrown in) that I see on Log into Facebook | Facebook. I'm on mynissanleaf.com many times a day and have been monitoring MNL for years.

The REx version is not reliable. The check engine lights and drivetrain malfunction errors have multiple causes, not just "computer" problems.

Aside from the tendency to lose twenty percent or more of the battery range in the first year in warmer climates, you mean?

To me, that's a lot worse. The other problems we were discussing are hit or miss, quality issues that a few cars or a fraction of the fleet experience. The battery losses on the Leaf are a design flaw and affect every car.

And it has KNOBS and BUTTONS on the console instead of just a giant touchscreen!

Just like every POS antiquated ICEv.

As the tesla superchargers get more crowded, the M3 long haul advantage will be reduced. It will effectively be an urban commuter car, just like the i3.

Pure and utter nonsense. 215+ will always be superior to sub 100. And the number of Tesla Superchargers is not static.

I don't. I have not only read BMW forums but have owned two BMWs. Fantastic high speed handling and doors close with an authoritative thunk. After 100k miles bills pile up like Manhattan trial attorney. And from 0 to 100k miles BMWs don't exactly have Lexus reliability either.