Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not BMW i3, but more BMW general. Maybe we should have BMW EV thread, GM EV thread , Ford EV thread etc. (Feel free to move this to another thread if more appropriate)

BMW seeks design flexibility through tri-motor concept - Electronics Eetimes

Looking into dual electric plus ICE for combination og longer range and high performance.

I just wonder where they will put the ICE then ??

I just wonder where they will put the ICE then ??

passanger seat, taking a cue from their neighbors.
url

I have a friend who at one time got the most incredible deal on a lease of a new Pontiac Aztec...black on black on black. The dealer begged Dave to take it off his hands because no-one else would. Dave needed a large lease vehicle for a couple of years, and this loaded to the gills vehicle was his for a pittance. Dave didn't mind...he wasn't buying it. Yes, black makes fugly look much better. No, it was still hideous from many angles, even at night. I'd qualify the i3 as a 'good looking Aztec'. Nicely finished, though.

That's kind of dangerous for BMW to announce such a major feature change 8-10 months before they can ship. Also, the article doesn't say how much of increased capacity it is going to get. It could go from 82 miles to 95. Not a big deal. It isn't going to be a huge increase as they also said a doubling of battery capacity in 3 years, which would give it 162 miles. Still not stellar.

That's kind of dangerous for BMW to announce such a major feature change 8-10 months before they can ship. Also, the article doesn't say how much of increased capacity it is going to get. It could go from 82 miles to 95. Not a big deal. It isn't going to be a huge increase as they also said a doubling of battery capacity in 3 years, which would give it 162 miles. Still not stellar.

Yes, I don't think it will be a huge increase, probably similar to the Nissan LEAF 2016 range update. Here's a discussion on a BMW blog:

The Electric BMW i3: Krueger: BMW i3 to Get "Battery Facelift" in 2016

It looks like Samsung is trailing LG at the moment so it will be interesting to see if BMW sticks to Samsung for its battery supply - and if Samsung can catch up to LG Chem soon...

Last edited:

I looked back in the thread to see if this video was posted, I don't think it was

very interesting IMO good insight into the direction BMW are going in and the technology they have developed

its a long interview but well worth a watch

Last edited by a moderator:

I looked back in the thread to see if this video was posted, I don't think it was

very interesting IMO good insight into the direction BMW are going in and the technology they have developed

its a long interview but well worth a watch

Interesting video, thanks for sharing! Interesting that none of the Detroit automakers want his report when he says it's a receipt for creating the i3. Although he says Samsung is the best battery he's seen....I guess he hasn't seen Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting video, thanks for sharing! Interesting that none of the Detroit automakers want his report when he says it's a receipt for creating the i3. Although he says Samsung is the best battery he's seen....I guess he hasn't seen Tesla.

I wish they asked him more about that, when he said best its not clear if he means price, power, chemistry, or the way they produce the battery

also he seems to agree with most people here that BMW really got the look of the car wrong, for such a well engineered car its a real shame about the looks