TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BMW i4 with 435 mile range

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by voyager, Mar 21, 2018.

1. voyager

voyager Member

2. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

Very cool looking, stated range is likely using the European methodology which greatly overstates actually real world range - nonetheless sounds like probably in the 300 range realistically. Until the car is produced, it's all promises and ambition - like full self driving and Model Y

3. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I hope it actually gets made.

4. Esme Es Mejor

Esme Es Mejor Member

It’ll be great when BMW makes a credible EV. One day.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

How is it a "confirmed" range when it's a concept car? Also note as gaswalla said, NEDC range is much greater than EPA rated range. I don't know how the Europeans do their range test but the numbers are about as meaningful as their diesel emissions test.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

If BMW is targeting to release this as a MY 2020 car, then it's very likely pre-production cars are out testing. They do that with all other cars in their line-up, with people spotting next gen X5 and 3 series testing 2 or 3 years in advanced of their official entry to market, so I wouldn't be surprised if the number comes from near production ready hardware.

Agreed on the range. Any range from manufacturers are ideal and does not reflect real world.

7. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Production car will not be that low, have those heavy wheels, not have those large tires, not have those cool blacked out windows.

Gotta wait to see what comes out, and at what price and availability, and the actual street selling prices from the dealerships..

Right not, just a lot of flash and promise.

• Like x 1
  8. meomyo

meomyo Member

THIS is great.....Tesla better step up its interior game.

• Like x 1
  9. ggr

ggr Expert in Dunning-Kruger Effect!

"confirmed" just means that BMW said it, rather than some journalist making it up.

10. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

If this only was reality already ... I'm ready to put in an order for any sub 0-60 sub 3sec ¼-mile sub 11sec EV with +400mle real world range, if the car can be delivered within 2018. Probably with that battery pack there would be even more punch.

11. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

NEFZ is history. Europe is on WLTP now which should be relatively close to your EPA, but that just as a sidenote.

@Topic
    Until it`s actually available for me to buy without some bogus xy-year preorder time I won`t believe anything a classic manufacturer says about his EV plans anymore, no matter how shiny prototype xy looks.

12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Was just at a BMW dealership. They had one of the new all wheel drive M5's on their lot. Looked great, but had a $20,000 Market Adjustment added to the sticker price.

Lots of competitive manufacturers are coming out with wonderful claims, mostly to slow down people from buying Teslas. They are really getting hurt with so many of their current customers jumping ship to Tesla.

13. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

Oh the Year 2020 is going to be so magical. I think this is the 138th model announced and I am sure its just one of 20 or more that they will be coming out with toot sweet. I really cant wait. It wont be long now.

14. schonelucht

schonelucht Well-Known Member

There is less time to go to 2020 than time has passed since the Model 3 reveal.

• Like x 3
  15. busaman

busaman Member

i would guess its for real as no more diesel after 2020 for BMW I had an i3 before my MS it was a great little runnarround and not far off on the rated miles per charge and the finnish & build quality was far supierior to tesla..

16. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

It is for real 20k pieces a year in 2020.

17. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

Saw an article today that kinda fits this matter

Rentabilität: BMW will Elektroauto-Massenproduktion erst 2020 starten - Golem.de
    It`s german, but the summary is that BMW will not start mass producing any EVs before 2020 when they will have a new production technique ready that is abolutely necessary to make the EV business profitable for them.
    Well kinda starts to remind me of elon`s "3 months, 6 months definitely"

18. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

#18 EinSV, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Yes and “only” 8 years since the Model S was introduced.;)

• Like x 1
  19. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

Who ever wrote that article must not know what "Magical" means. It means that it will happen even if it takes some fairy dust to get it done. No battery factories? No worries, just add fairy dust to an old pile of wood and bam! you have battery cells that basically assemble themselves into the packs and test themselves. I mean, they are magical. Dont believe the negative ninnies, 2020 is going to be magical.

20. alloverx

alloverx Member

photos have leaked here