TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BMW i5... again?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by voyager, Sep 10, 2017.

1. voyager

voyager Member

[​IMG]

BMW is planning to reveal the next chapter of its 'i' electrified sub-brand with the i5 concept. After confirming the debut, a promotional video has revealed the possible design of the electric saloon.

While the image may just be a mock-up for marketing purposes, the design is clearly inspired by the i3 and it sports a curvy saloon shape. The styling details are different from initial expectations, so we'll have to wait until the reveal early next week to know for sure.

BMW teases i5 electric saloon ahead of debut next week

2. MacGreiner

MacGreiner Member

Too little, too late BMW. When I had my i3 they talked about a possible i5 for two years. I loved my i3 and the recyclable/carbon fiber construction and would have jumped to the ever promised 5. The reason I am now in a model S.

• Like x 2
  3. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Yup. Should have been on sale back in 2014 for-crying-out-loud, alongside the i3 (May) and the i8 (August).

4. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Yes, seems like I've been hearing about this forever, and now they're finally showing a concept? Wake when it's at the dealer.

• Like x 1
  5. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

Almost decent looking. What BMW still fails to understand--for some bizarre reason--is that potential BMW electric drivers want relatively conservative styling--just curvy enough to appear expensive, but not flashy. Like ICE BMWs and the Tesla S. Virtually no traditional BMW driver would be caught dead in an i3.

6. MacGreiner

MacGreiner Member

I must be part of the virtually then - from Z4s to R1200RT BMW bikes. i3 was the best car I ever owned up to my S.

• Like x 1
  7. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

Those pictures are not from BMW...

8. voyager

voyager Member

• Like x 1
  9. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

Looks great! Combined with BMW's engineering and scale, it should be a worthy competitor

10. lux_cars

lux_cars Member

I wonder who comes up with these names

• Like x 2
  11. larmor

larmor Active Member

12. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

A committee of German marketers.

I guess I could have just stopped at "committee". ;)

13. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Well, those wheels are certainly BIG enough. Here's hoping they are wider than the i3!

14. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Another EV concept car that will never be built, they seem to be a dime a dozen these days. Wait, do those wheels look like an extra large version of the Model 3 aero wheels?

15. voyager

voyager Member

"Promises a 0-62mph time of 4.0sec and 373-mile range" according to AutoCar.

16. AndreN

AndreN Member

NEDC range, so about 300 miles EPA range. Basically playing catch-up with Tesla. Well, except this is a concept and you can actually buy a Tesla.

• Like x 1
  17. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

What's funny is as of 2017, Tesla already have that for 100D real production car(not a concept), about rated 335 miles(not ideal), 4.1 seconds 0-60. Last month all 75's got 1 full second faster and we hear rumors 100D will/may get 3.3 seconds.

BMW's 373 miles electric may be overestimated. When in comes out, we can expect more like 350 miles.

Just like i8 with puny 15 miles of electric driving, BMW is definitely not taking huge risk and challenges in innovation, imo. Many car makers thought they could do the catch-up game once Tesla innovate, but the gap seems getting wider and wider. Big mistakes by ICE car companies, including Toyota.

Imagine Tesla in 2021. BMW had better get a better car than that or this will not even be a competition.

18. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

There is more to a car than range or performance. Otherwise nobody would buy German cars. You can pretty much always find a cheaper American or Japanese car if you just look at the numbers.