Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i5... again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bmw-i5-render-2017-rear.jpg

BMW is planning to reveal the next chapter of its 'i' electrified sub-brand with the i5 concept. After confirming the debut, a promotional video has revealed the possible design of the electric saloon.

While the image may just be a mock-up for marketing purposes, the design is clearly inspired by the i3 and it sports a curvy saloon shape. The styling details are different from initial expectations, so we'll have to wait until the reveal early next week to know for sure.

BMW teases i5 electric saloon ahead of debut next week

Almost decent looking. What BMW still fails to understand--for some bizarre reason--is that potential BMW electric drivers want relatively conservative styling--just curvy enough to appear expensive, but not flashy. Like ICE BMWs and the Tesla S. Virtually no traditional BMW driver would be caught dead in an i3.

Almost decent looking. What BMW still fails to understand--for some bizarre reason--is that potential BMW electric drivers want relatively conservative styling--just curvy enough to appear expensive, but not flashy. Like ICE BMWs and the Tesla S. Virtually no traditional BMW driver would be caught dead in an i3.
I must be part of the virtually then - from Z4s to R1200RT BMW bikes. i3 was the best car I ever owned up to my S.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
"Promises a 0-62mph time of 4.0sec and 373-mile range" according to AutoCar.

What's funny is as of 2017, Tesla already have that for 100D real production car(not a concept), about rated 335 miles(not ideal), 4.1 seconds 0-60. Last month all 75's got 1 full second faster and we hear rumors 100D will/may get 3.3 seconds.

BMW's 373 miles electric may be overestimated. When in comes out, we can expect more like 350 miles.

Just like i8 with puny 15 miles of electric driving, BMW is definitely not taking huge risk and challenges in innovation, imo. Many car makers thought they could do the catch-up game once Tesla innovate, but the gap seems getting wider and wider. Big mistakes by ICE car companies, including Toyota.

Imagine Tesla in 2021. BMW had better get a better car than that or this will not even be a competition.