TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BMW i5

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by 30seconds, May 12, 2014.

1. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I really hope BMW can do better with the styling than this rendering. The i8 is beautiful, the i3 not so much.

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Ugh. Why does every EV except Tesla's have to look like clown cars or the compliance car they are derived from? I'll give the i3 and the Leaf bonus points for functionality, but really? The i8 is beautiful in its own way. How about something between the i3 and the i8 as far as looks? Doesn't anyone get it except Elon and Tesla? EVs have certain advantages over an ICE designed car. Use them to the make a better car without making it look silly.

4. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I really like how BMWs look (they drive nicely too!). I assume the odd looks of their i line are so they don't compete with their core (ICE) business. I'd rather have an i5 that looks like a regular 5 series, or at least continues their current design language.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The i5 needs to look like a 5 series I think with maybe some design updates. Close enough to keep their current customers happy but not too move like an 'eco' car to scare away their base.

6. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

That design is not from BMW.

That is Car & Driver's guesstimate on what an i5 would look and be like.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. That article is just a lot of speculation, some perhaps well-informed, some just guessing.

I hope the i5 doesn't look like that, and I suspect it probably won't. I bet BMW has by now got the message that the i3 exterior is not getting rave reviews.

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

That looks like the illegitimate offspring of a Volt and an i3.

9. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Back when the Leaf design was revealed there was talk about how its funny look was a cultural thing. I can't imagine anyone saying the i3 looks are European in cultural styling. To be honest both the Leaf and the i3 have kind of grown on me so that I don't think they are ugly. However, I would still be much happier if the pure EV's weren't a goofy look that I had to get used to. It gives strength to Tesla in the marketplace which I am happy about. In the larger picture of EV adoption then I am sorely disappointed. There is a hell of a lot of room for improvement IMHO.

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

More like a Pontiac Aztek.